Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 14 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 03:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I suck at directing!

paintballkidz
757 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Apr 14, 2012 03:12 |  #1

I love taking pictures of people, But when it comes to posing them and directing I absolutely can't do it :mad: anyone else have this problem

6D
24L

sponsored links
fraiseap
131 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Apr 14, 2012 05:12 |  #2

It is not easy but gets better with experience and practice. there are several books on the subject which may help. I find the poses in these books a bit contrived, but they do give you some general tips (such as angling the hips of female models at 45 degrees to the camera to make them look slimmer).

The best way to learn is to shoot experienced models who know how to pose. Gradually you get an idea of what works and what doesnt.

"If I ever get satisfied, I'll have to stop. It's the frustration that drives you." - Eve Arnold

http://www.adamfraise.​com (external link)

john5189
598 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 14, 2012 05:36 |  #3

Look at lots of Playboy and Penthouse.
These Photogs are the best in the business.
You dont have to look at the rudey bits it's the posing of the arms and the head and the lighting.
Then look at what you have done and see if you can work out what you should have done better.

Now the fundamentals for average looking people are the same you just have less flexibility with flattering angles.

Turn the head to try to get a cheek bone, lift the chin for no double chin, whites of the eyes,
try to hide the ugly bits
disguise their size.

Wedding Photography in Herefordshire.  (external link)

TrueasLight
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 15, 2012 23:58 |  #4

Thank you for this, I have trouble directing too. I usually know what I want but feel like my subject will think it's silly or judge me or something. It's a terrible flaw for someone who otherwise likes to photograph people.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 16, 2012 15:20 |  #5

I find that a little bit of acting silly helps to break the ice and relax the subject.

Especially if you're a male photographer, trying to demonstrate "sexy" poses for a female model. That usually gets me some laughs.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

TrueasLight
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Apr 17, 2012 22:59 |  #6

Thank you all! And lol, nathancarter; I'm a female photographer and I like to photograph men, so I think the same humor-through-incongruity principle you're talking about applies.

tfizzle
785 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 17, 2012 23:30 |  #7

posing app or saved pictures for reference on a smart phone/tablet has helped me generate poses/ideas. I've found it much easier to just bring out my phone and say, "I'd like for you to do this" and it goes faster/smoother.

Phil ­ Scott
21 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Apr 22, 2012 05:14 as a reply to  @ tfizzle's post |  #8

Similar problems here, does anyone know any good apps for Android to use as a pose reference?

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Apr 22, 2012 14:45 |  #9

http://www.digital-photography-school.com …-female-models#more-34090 (external link)

There's also another one on there for sample poses for men.. Very simplistic.. I copied it out and sent it to my email- so, I can pull up my email on the droid- and have my samples already there...

Another solution might be simpler than it sounds.. Some women- want to pose don't want all of the awkward poses that some photographers try to put them thru. So, you might want to ask them if there are any kind of poses that they want to take and then go from there- let them kick start your creative juices, so to speak.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 24, 2012 14:35 |  #10

TrueasLight wrote in post #14272775 (external link)
Thank you for this, I have trouble directing too. I usually know what I want but feel like my subject will think it's silly or judge me or something. It's a terrible flaw for someone who otherwise likes to photograph people.

I no pro at this at all, but I have found (as with a lot of things in life) the more comfortable and confident you are the easier it will be to "direct". Take confidence in the good work you do and people will let you direct them.

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

matchboxx
103 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Apr 27, 2012 09:25 |  #11

Look at lots of Playboy and Penthouse.

I tried that, but I get distracted by the articles;)

Canon 5DmkII, Fujifilm X-Pro1, FujiFilm X100
Flickriver (external link)

Norkusa
510 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 04, 2012 10:39 as a reply to  @ matchboxx's post |  #12

I have the same problem. I bought plenty of books on posing techniques and know exactly how I want people to pose, but it's the interacting with & directing them that I'm bad at. Especially when I'm doing family portraits where there's 2-3 young kids running around and not listening to instructions. I tend to get distracted at shoots with so much going on at once and pay more attention to my gear and composition than the subjects. :confused:

What helped for me is watching videos of other photographers on shoots. Kelby training videos are a big help. I just watched this joey ikemoto video which is pretty good too....alot of it his him just directing and talking to his subjects:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=32PncOEnJt0 (external link)

5D Mk III • 600EX-RT x 2
Tokina 16-28 • 24-70L II •70-200L IS II •
100L • EF 15mm Fisheye

sass25479
65 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2012

May 05, 2012 22:09 |  #13

I have the same problem directing. The more I do it the easier it's getting. :)

tfizzle
785 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 06, 2012 02:31 |  #14

iphone app, Posing App. The one that just has drawings. I'm not sure android has it but it has been valuable to me. I used it today and just opened it up, turned it toward the couple and said, "I'd like for you to do this."

They get in the position and then I just adjust from there. At that point I only have to fix spacing (like heads being too close together, etc.) and composition.

One thing that the male said was, "Man, we just moved from one place to another and that wasn't so terrible. If I had my mom come do this we'd be stuck in one place forever."

That felt good because it felt like a validation of being someone who is a professional. I don't take 5 shots of the same pose hoping for the best. It'll come with time as you start seeing the scene and how the body is postured.

What's helped me the most? Looking at good photos. Why is it a good photo? What about the placement of their body makes it a good photo? Then replicate it in your own way.

Ashura
117 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 06, 2012 07:56 |  #15

When I can't explain the pose just by speaking, I do it myself. People get it immediately, and it also helps making them comfortable.

flickr (external link)
50D, EF 24-105/4 L, EF 50/1.4, EF 35/2.0, EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5, 430EX, D-Lite 4 It kit

sponsored links

4,741 views & 0 likes for this thread
I suck at directing!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.