Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 05 May 2012 (Saturday) 11:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tonights Super Moon !

StosPhotography
286 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 06, 2012 20:29 |  #106
bannedPermanent ban

wish i had gone out to shoot it this weekend!

FB Fan Page (external link)
Become a fan!

sponsored links
Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,580 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

May 06, 2012 21:17 |  #107

CatchingUp wrote in post #14388870 (external link)
Me thinks you don't have as sharp an eye as you would like others to think you do.

So are you sayin your is not original ?

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,580 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 06, 2012 21:29 |  #108

CatchingUp wrote in post #14388858 (external link)
Hmmm...are you serious? Should I take that as a compliment?

Here's the shot out of the camera...just reduced size to post.

I have to say I take exception to your arrogance to just assume the photo was manipulated. Had you asked outright, I would not have thought twice about it.

Yeah i've been called having arrogance before in the past . Sorry if you feel that way . Reason it didn't look real to me is because as bright as the moon is behind the cowboy that building behind should be brighter than what it is and the moon looks so perfect as to where other moons this low on the horizon are orange in color and not sharp focused like yours is . So if you didn't PS it then just say so , not a problem . Have a great day ......

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,580 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 06, 2012 21:33 |  #109

boingy wrote in post #14389263 (external link)
This was nowhere near the horizon. From my location (San Jose, CA) the moonrise was at 8:00 pm from the horizon. This was shot at 8:34 pm. By this point the sun had already set and I was at a location between mountains so it was quite dark at this point. Like I mentioned this is two seperate exposures. The moon was ETTR and brought down about 1 1/3 of a stop in post. WB temp was 3100 bringing the moon to more of its natural color. The original moon was blown out hence why I composit the exposures. Maybe I shouldnt have brought down the exposure that much and increase the WB temp to add some color in the moon?

Yes that would look better cause the moon should be orange or yellow at the height you have it projected here . Why don't you just post the original ?

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,580 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 06, 2012 21:36 |  #110

canon rookie wrote in post #14389506 (external link)
Here's mine from last night over Harrisburg PA.
QUOTED IMAGE

Beautiful picture but why is your moon gray , why isn't it orange or yellow like all the others this low on the horizon ?

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,580 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 06, 2012 21:39 |  #111

humbleraghav wrote in post #14389345 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | Byte size: ZERO

Took with my 70-300mm, hoping to get a timelapse of the moonrise tonight.

What happened to your picture and link ? It's not showing anymore .

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

May 06, 2012 21:41 |  #112

Celestron wrote in post #14390335 (external link)
Yeah i've been called having arrogance before in the past . Sorry if you feel that way . Reason it didn't look real to me is because as bright as the moon is behind the cowboy that building behind should be brighter than what it is and the moon looks so perfect as to where other moons this low on the horizon are orange in color and not sharp focused like yours is . So if you didn't PS it then just say so , not a problem . Have a great day ......

Look...as I stated, I took exception with your flippant assumption that it was photoshopped. Why not ask instead of dismiss is as manipulated?

I was at a rodeo...had a 300 with a 1.4 extender mounted on my 7D. I knew about where the moon would rise at 8:01 last night. This shot was taken around 8:35.There was a guy in the stands with a cowboy hat on and I was on the other side of the arena.

My challenge was with that much focal length, I would not be able to get a sharper silhouette and still get a sharp picture of the moon. So I manually focused on the moon wanting that to be primary and got the guy's head/head in the foreground as planned. Just wish it had not been as blurred as it was. I didn't want to shoot at a real high ISO but was shooting between 100 and 125/sec at 5.6-8.0

There was no building in the background. That was the top bleacher and the moon was orange in color until it rose higher. Sure...you started this thread and offered some decent tips. But your response just came across in a poor way given you were wrong.

Just saying.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

CatchingUp
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

May 06, 2012 21:42 |  #113

Celestron wrote in post #14390296 (external link)
So are you sayin your is not original ?

Just the opposite. Explained further in my other post/response.

Tony
I use Canon gear...have several bodies and lenses and am quite pleased with them.

"A person's gift will make room for itself."

rcubed
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 06, 2012 21:56 |  #114

Supermoon shot over Vancouver, BC
Shot with a Sony NEXC3 Fullspectrum with a Nikon 400mm f4.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8149/7150484971_1ae32390ae.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …edphotography/7​150484971/  (external link)
May 5th 2012 Supermoon in Full spectrum (external link) by RCubedPhoto (external link), on Flickr

Fun edit with my cityscape shot on the same night using a D7000 with a 70-200 f2.8 =P
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7087/7004809970_059a85c2dc.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …edphotography/7​004809970/  (external link)
SuperMoon over Vancouver (LOLedit) (external link) by RCubedPhoto (external link), on Flickr

Enjoy!

ptsdds
94 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 06, 2012 22:47 as a reply to  @ rcubed's post |  #115

One from the local city lake in Lodi, CA Saturday evening

IMAGE: http://drlodi.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Lodi-Lake/i-6K8FmDX/0/XL/supermoon280mm-XL.jpg

60D,T1i, S90 , Sigma 10-20, 17-55 f2.8, 70-200 f4, Canon 1.4 extender, 60 mm macro , 50 mm 1.8 and a bunch of other stuff

Imaginary ­ Enemy
219 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 06, 2012 22:51 |  #116

Celestron wrote in post #14390335 (external link)
So if you didn't PS it then just say so, not a problem.

Or you could ask if they were photoshopped instead of being a jerk.

Feedback
Instagram (external link)
5D3 | Σ 50mm f1.4 | 100mm f2.8

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,580 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 06, 2012 23:05 |  #117

CatchingUp wrote in post #14390401 (external link)
Look...as I stated, I took exception with your flippant assumption that it was photoshopped. Why not ask instead of dismiss is as manipulated?

I was at a rodeo...had a 300 with a 1.4 extender mounted on my 7D. I knew about where the moon would rise at 8:01 last night. This shot was taken around 8:35.There was a guy in the stands with a cowboy hat on and I was on the other side of the arena.

My challenge was with that much focal length, I would not be able to get a sharper silhouette and still get a sharp picture of the moon. So I manually focused on the moon wanting that to be primary and got the guy's head/head in the foreground as planned. Just wish it had not been as blurred as it was. I didn't want to shoot at a real high ISO but was shooting between 100 and 125/sec at 5.6-8.0

There was no building in the background. That was the top bleacher and the moon was orange in color until it rose higher. Sure...you started this thread and offered some decent tips. But your response just came across in a poor way given you were wrong.

Just saying.

I'm not dismissing it as manipulated , just replying in a way that it was no big deal . If you had posted this image also with the first two then i would have never questioned it . You made your point , good explanation focusing on the moon to start with then framing the cowboy in the image , congratulations , good job . Let's get over it and get on with the thread . Have a good day , sorry i ruffled your feathers . I apologize, feel better now ?

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,580 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 06, 2012 23:09 |  #118

CatchingUp wrote in post #14390414 (external link)
Just the opposite. Explained further in my other post/response.

Just going by the statement you said that you didn't think i had as sharp an eye as what i wanted all to think i have . That's either sayin you disagree that i said yours looked original or your admitting your image is not real . So what is it your actually sayin ??

Celestron
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,580 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 06, 2012 23:11 |  #119

ptsdds wrote in post #14390736 (external link)
One from the local city lake in Lodi, CA Saturday evening

QUOTED IMAGE

Great shot , WTG !

Gojira1976
940 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 06, 2012 23:35 |  #120
bannedPermanent ban

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

_DSC8493 (external link) by Americo.Rodriguez. (external link), on Flickr

AMERICO

sponsored links

37,071 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tonights Super Moon !
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.