Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 06 May 2012 (Sunday) 05:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm feeling upset that someone paid me for candid shots..and...the autofocus kept

THE ­ Phreak
244 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 06, 2012 05:24 |  #1

The autofocus kept acting wonky and might've caught some people to be slightly out of focus, so the shots with a bigger group have like 3 people in focus and the rest gradually get blurrier. But then, when it's a smaller set of people like 2, the shots are great and very clear. And in many cases when you zoom in close someone's face might be a bit out of focus, but the whole image will be great and in focus.

I had a 580ex with me and had it set to ONE SHOT so the focus light would work, and I also had the focus points set to mostly all so all of the points would work just to maximize my chances of getting focused shots :( In an area where we were doing staged shots, something kept throwing off the autofocus so people came out kind of soft.

Don't know how to feel about this. It was her birthday party, and she paid me and also asked to have the raws so she can work on them before sharing them with her crowd. We also took some staged shots too, and that was fun but again either the focus was innacurate and I kept having to do it manually, which is bad when you're at a party. Then because I kept switching from a fisheye to my zoom I caught some dust in there..she's gonna see that too.

I was there for six hours, and had to rent a fisheye so I was paid for my time with an extra tip and the lens rental. I kinda feel like returning some cash to her, but she's dabbled with her DSLR at a night I shoot regularly so I'm sure she'll understand the circumstances. She specifically asked for me to do Candids.If I had it my way, I'd give her like 60 great shots out of the 200 and call it a day, but she wants them all :(

/rant

1D classic | 50mm 1.8 | 28-105 3.5-4.5 | 270ex flash

sponsored links
Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 06, 2012 05:39 |  #2

THE Phreak wrote in post #14386992 (external link)
I also had the focus points set to mostly all so all of the points would work just to maximize my chances of getting focused shots :(

This maximizes your chances of focusing on something, but not necessarily what you want to focus on. It's almost always better to choose a single focus point.

Beyond that, it's hard to diagnose this without samples, and even then it may be hard to figure out what went wrong. Throw a few samples up (with EXIF info) and we at least have something to evaluate.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

May 06, 2012 06:36 |  #3

Sounds like you had your lens wide open which creates a shallow DOF.

Dave Hoffmann

THE ­ Phreak
THREAD ­ STARTER
244 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 06, 2012 16:08 |  #4

Gatorboy wrote in post #14387112 (external link)
Sounds like you had your lens wide open which creates a shallow DOF.

Most definitely did, it was really dark in there unfortunately.

This is what I mean, if you zoom in close their faces (external link) aresorta soft (external link). For some reason my flash wasn't helping with the exposure and I don't have an off camera set up ;/

A lot of the close up shots with people came out great though. I'm just goign to have to be honest with her and see if she's happy and if not, just return some cash.

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 06, 2012 17:57 |  #5

You would benefit from reading
Flash Photography 101, Chapter 3.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

THE ­ Phreak
THREAD ­ STARTER
244 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 06, 2012 19:16 |  #6

Curtis N wrote in post #14389384 (external link)
You would benefit from reading
Flash Photography 101, Chapter 3.

I'll definitely read it, I guess I'm just more upset at myself than anything. I've been taking stills at parties and nightclubs since 2009-10ish, long enough to avoid making any mistakes and yet here I am, making beginner errors.:(

goldboughtrue
Goldmember
1,857 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 06, 2012 19:21 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

THE Phreak wrote in post #14388959 (external link)
This is what I mean, if you zoom in close their faces (external link) aresorta soft (external link).

I think the problem was definitely having all focus points active and letting the camera choose one. The "faces" picture is focused on the left side of the chair (right side if looking at it) and the "sorta soft" is focused on the center girl's legs because of her high contrast hose I suspect.

http://www.pbase.com/g​oldbough (external link)

5D II, Canon 100 macro, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 24-105 L, Canon TS-E 45, Sigma Art 35mm f/1.4

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

May 06, 2012 19:23 |  #8

THE Phreak wrote in post #14388959 (external link)
This is what I mean, if you zoom in close their faces (external link) aresorta soft (external link). For some reason my flash wasn't helping with the exposure and I don't have an off camera set up ;/

Unfortunately, looking at those images, that is what I would expect from using all points AF, rather than choosing where to focus yourself. If you leave it up to the camera to decide what to focus on, it will generally pick the nearest object that has sufficient contrast, on the assumption that the subject is usually to the front of a scene.

The faces are soft because the camera has chosen to focus on the nearer targets presented by their feet, legs or the seat itself. With the shallow DoF you had, the faces are too far behind the chosen point of focus to come out any sharper than they did.

It is rarely a good idea to leave the choice of what to focus on to the camera, as it has no idea what is the important part of the scene. You need to select an AF point yourself and place it over the subject that you want sharp (in this case one of the faces).

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 06, 2012 20:48 |  #9

don't worry about it - look at it as a learning experience and move on.

Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

May 07, 2012 00:33 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #10

We all make mistakes, but you shouldn't be charging for photography until you understand what has been pointed out earlier in the thread.

Richard
Gear

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,362 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 07, 2012 10:02 |  #11

Frugal wrote in post #14391168 (external link)
We all make mistakes, but you shouldn't be charging for photography until you understand what has been pointed out earlier in the thread.

This.

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 07, 2012 10:15 |  #12

THE Phreak wrote in post #14386992 (external link)
I had a 580ex with me and had it set to ONE SHOT so the focus light would work, and I also had the focus points set to mostly all so all of the points would work just to maximize my chances of getting focused shots :( In an area where we were doing staged shots, something kept throwing off the autofocus so people came out kind of soft.

So you used the 580ex only for focus assist? What's on the right side of the frame that is blowing out? Some sort of lamp?

Joel

ajaffe
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 07, 2012 20:31 |  #13

1, you're focusing into a strong light source
2, you aren't on a single focus point
3, your flash isn't flashing enough to overpower that lamp or much ambient
4, your 1D classic (if you used that) isn't that great in lowlight, so it is a bit noisy without flash helping which reduces sharpness
5, you technically do have off camera flash in the 580, you just have to get a wireless trigger or a hotshoe cord

www.jaffe.photo

THE ­ Phreak
THREAD ­ STARTER
244 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 07, 2012 22:36 |  #14

Frugal wrote in post #14391168 (external link)

Yeah, I read through it all and saw how bad I failed, the most simple mistakes really cost me. In the end when I delivered the photos I was up front and honest about it, said things weren't up to par and I was going to give her the money back. She picked out a number, and I returned whatever cash she asked for.

In the end the staged shots weren't good, but the candid "nightcluby" shots came out great (in her opinion). It sucks, it hurt my ego, but I feel I did the right thing.

I've been asked to do this kind of thing before and I usually just gave the best 100 or so shots, but never had a big screw up like this! :confused:

Thank you all for the wonderful feedback!

sponsored links

2,850 views & 0 likes for this thread
I'm feeling upset that someone paid me for candid shots..and...the autofocus kept
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.