Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 03 May 2012 (Thursday) 20:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My hard drive crashed!

bdpaco
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 03, 2012 20:20 |  #1

I just got home and started up my computer and things were terribly wrong!!! There was a message that my hard drive had failed to initiate and I couldnt access anything on the computer...I just backed up all my newest images onto my external hard drive last night so I was safe or so I thought! I hooked up the external to my laptop and even tho it shows over half the space is used I cant find my pics on it anywhere!
I am so freaked right now...I only have one job left to deliver that was on the computer, but I hate to think I lost all my images!!

My Blog
http://rickbandaphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)
My Website
www.rickbandaphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
JDPhotoGuy
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 03, 2012 20:47 |  #2

That's horrible news! :(

May I suggest that even if you don't own a website you should get webhosting. It's insanely cheap as low as just over $2 a month and averaging around $5-7. You don't have to have a domain. What the hosting does is basically operates as a backup service. My hosting has unlimited everything and allows me to store all my files there. Hard copies on rewriteable discs stored in the customer's folder that has the contracts and all that other info is also a good idea as well.

It's a lot of redundancy to set up HD > external archive drive > online > hard copy but it's really worth it. It's not that bad once you get used to it either.

Yes, I have severe Equipment Deficiency. No, the pills don't fix it.

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

May 03, 2012 21:22 |  #3

Most cheap hosts have a policy against using your account as a storage facility.

I don't know if the cost would be worth it to you but Drive Savers may be your answer.

JDPhotoGuy
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 03, 2012 21:29 |  #4

isoMorphic wrote in post #14376224 (external link)
Most cheap hosts have a policy against using your account as a storage facility.

I don't know if the cost would be worth it to you but Drive Savers may be your answer.

Oops!

I just checked with mine and it's in the EULA... Though I do have 8 websites on that one hosting account at the moment so maybe they just haven't found my stash yet.. :lol:

Sorry for the bum advice. Thought I was being clever. :P

Yes, I have severe Equipment Deficiency. No, the pills don't fix it.

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 03, 2012 22:43 |  #5

plug in your external hdd to another computer? try that first. ive experience that complaint before and it wasnt the hdd that died, it was the controller on the logicboard. so try your external drive on a working computer first to make sure your images are still there.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 03, 2012 22:50 |  #6

Before doing anything drastic, what kind of computer and operating system are you using? You didn't enable any kind of encryption or file protection system did you?

imjason wrote in post #14376637 (external link)
plug in your external hdd to another computer? try that first. ive experience that complaint before and it wasnt the hdd that died, it was the controller on the logicboard. so try your external drive on a working computer first to make sure your images are still there.

And to make that statement a tad clearer, remove the physical hard drive from the external enclosure, and plug it directly into another computer using the correct cables and ports on the mother board/control card.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

bdpaco
THREAD ­ STARTER
696 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 04, 2012 11:09 |  #7

update: all my pics are on my external, still not understanding why I couldnt see them when it was plugged into another computer. My brother worked on it last night and was able to save everything and get my machine up and running again...I havent talked to him to find the specifics out, but let me tell you this was one of the worst moments in my career as a photographer...So glad I was smart enough to back everything up on an external...I am going this weekend to purchase another external so I have 2 back ups of everything and one more internal to back up on to as well...

My Blog
http://rickbandaphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)
My Website
www.rickbandaphoto.com (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,894 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 04, 2012 12:31 |  #8

My boot/app drive is a single SSD
My home/data drive is a 2TB
My backup drive is 2TB only for backing up the home/data drive
Separately I have a 3TB Time Capsule which backs up both my boot/app drive and my home/data drive.

When my machine was on Windows, it ran the two 2TB as a RAID 0 pair. When I converted to Hack, I do the copying manually between the two 2TB drives. Time Machine is doing auto backs to Time Capsule.

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 04, 2012 14:36 |  #9

bdpaco wrote in post #14378871 (external link)
update: all my pics are on my external, still not understanding why I couldnt see them when it was plugged into another computer. My brother worked on it last night and was able to save everything and get my machine up and running again...I havent talked to him to find the specifics out, but let me tell you this was one of the worst moments in my career as a photographer...So glad I was smart enough to back everything up on an external...I am going this weekend to purchase another external so I have 2 back ups of everything and one more internal to back up on to as well...

time to get a raid setup ;)

also, if you dont do so already, safe laptop handling procedures. such as not running around with your laptop on or tossing your laptop around before it fully sleeps or turn off.

Flickr (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 04, 2012 17:31 |  #10

imjason wrote in post #14379862 (external link)
time to get a raid setup ;)

Just remember that RAID is for performance and allowing a system to limp through a hardware failure to give techs time to restore it to full working order. It is Not a backup method.

One of the largest problems with relying on RAID as a backup method is that while the data may be redundant, your files aren't. They're still single referenced on your system, so anything that causes a data corruption/deletion will cause it to effect all the data in the array.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

May 04, 2012 20:29 as a reply to  @ Luckless's post |  #11

Raid can often be rebuilt even if one of the drives fails which is why people often go that route. But for a non technical person it can be complicated to build one from scratch. If you buy one commercially they are often running proprietary software which can be a big headache. Not to mention they are far more costly to send out for recovery then a regular drive.

http://www.recover-raid.com/failed-RAID-help.html (external link)

Many datacenters still rely on tape even to this day because raid is more or less meant to save time when possible. I think the best solution is flash drives which are pretty cheap for the amount of storage (grab a bunch on sale) and can be recycled. DVD is also something to consider and using Acronis (LOVE IT!) you can span archives across any number of disks or thumb drives. This can also be done with other compression tools like 7zip and WinRAR but they wont mirror and restore drives like Acronis.

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 05, 2012 00:42 |  #12

yes that is the down side of a consumer grade raid 1 setup. it requires specific software. but thats still better than nothing. i currently use a WD My Book Studio II. The setup allows users to service or upgrade their drives if needed.

Flickr (external link)

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,894 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 06, 2012 07:24 as a reply to  @ imjason's post |  #13

Saying RAID is not enough. There are many levels in RAID technology and each attempts to deliver a specific benefit. Do you want faster I/O speed, or greater redundancy, or both?

Good article on RAID levels. http://learn.usa.canon​.com …tems.shtml?cate​goryId=121 (external link)

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 06, 2012 10:02 |  #14

It does not matter WHAT version of RAID you use, none are in and of themselves a backup solution. Each contains one high level reference to the file, which if deleted for any reason destroys your data.

RAID works wonderfully as part of a primary system, it works wonderfully on the server to which you backup your data, but It in itself is Not a backup!

If you have two computers, each with a RAID setup in whatever flavour you prefer, great. Combine that with a good backup scheme and you are doing better than a lot of people are with their important data. Throwing up a RAID in your desktop and thinking that you're protected from anything is like putting on a cheap hospital gown that is too small for you and expected that no one can see your backside. Only thing is, at least with the gown you are likely to get a cool breeze to warn you. With a RAID your first indication that you're not actually covered is that you've lost access to an important file you couldn't afford to lose.

RAID offers zero protection for accidental deletions, software bugs, virus or other malicious software attacks, and a host of other issues. When it comes to data protection the only thing they protect against is partial hardware faults. Note, Partial. If your whole system goes up in a puff of magic smoke, you're screwed.

I have seen far too many people be misinformed about what RAIDs actually offer them to take this lightly, and I have seen far too many people attempt to set them up without first learning enough about them to deal with issues that come up.

zrock
191 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 07, 2012 12:42 |  #15

Cannot have 2 many backups. I have a internal that is sync'd weekly, network drive that is sync'd whenever it sees a file change, and a external drive that i keep of site that i bring home and sync whenever i transfer new pics. All is untended and the external will sync as soon as i plug it in. All sync's are one way only from computer to drive so if a file gets del on the computer its still on the other drives

Canon T1i
EFS 18-55mm
EFS 55-250mm
430EX II

sponsored links

2,434 views & 0 likes for this thread
My hard drive crashed!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.