Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 May 2012 (Monday) 08:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Disabled Vet Starting new hobby...

OneyedJack
140 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 07, 2012 13:21 |  #16

Greg,

I would stick with a zoom lens. A zoom telephoto might be easier to frame a shot from a wheelchair. You might even like the 70-300mm L lens for a broad reach.

Enjoy your new hobby!

5Dmk2 | 24-105f4 | 16-35f2.8 | 70-200f2.8

sponsored links
yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2012 13:52 as a reply to  @ OneyedJack's post |  #17

There have been a lot of good lens suggestions but one thing I wanted to throw out there is that you may want to start cheap (relatively speaking) until you know exactly the subjects you like to shoot. The Canon 55-250 is about the perfect solution to that. When I started out I bought some lenses that I "wanted" but weren't what I really "needed." You mentioned shooting your son playing lacrosse and if the games are all during the day then any of the suggestions will work, but if there are evening games then your choices start to narrow to larger aperture lenses to keep up the shutter speed. For example, the 70-300L is a fantastic lens but it is f/5.6 at the long end which would make lower light shooting very difficult if you need to maintain a certain shutter speed to avoid motion blur. Just a thought based on what I experienced, and please add a thank you from me to the list!

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2012 14:42 |  #18

Greg, greetings and welcome to the forum!

Lens choices are, well, challenging, especially when you are new and just "feeling" your way around!

A great "general purpose" telephoto zoom is the EF-S 55-250, because it is lightweight, has Image Stabilization, and has a good reputation for image quality. For much of what you describe it should be an excellent choice, although if you are really trying to shoot things "1000 yards away", well, that will be tough, depending on how large the "subject" is. Sure you can get a nice photo of something that fills a fair amoung of the frame/viewfinder, though.

For more challenging shots, such as your sports shooting, to me the main consideration is a lens that has a high performance in Auto Focusing. Two other factors are the aperture width if you are shooting in low light and then of course image quality at the various ranges. Well, I always lean toward the EF 70-200 series as an all-around high performance lens series for that type of thing. I've heard good things about other makes such as Sigma, but the Canon L set of 70-200 lenses has proven reliability so I wouldn't hesitate about recommending a lens from that series.

For those lenses, there are different factors to consider in deciding which one to go for. With most lighting conditions an f/4 lens actually will suffice. For more challenging/dim lighting, well, you may benefit from the "boost" of an f/2.8 lens.

IS is another consideration. If you are hand-held shooting, be aware that a longer focal length will be vulnerable to camera shake, which is where IS comes in -- it really does work to stabilize things! I can imagine that would mean a lot when you are shooting from a wheel chair!

But both of those considerations, wide aperture and IS, do affect two things:

First, they both add to the cost!

Second, they both add to the weight of the lens, especially the wide aperture!

From what you say of your budget, I'd suggest looking for a used copy of one of those 70-200 lenses. But as far as the 55-250, get a new one -- they are quite inexpensive.

I don't know about the 70-300 L lens, I'm sure it's good I just haven't read enough about it to say one thing or another about it. I did own the "old" version of the 70-200 f/2.8 IS and can say it is a great lens if you can find one!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 07, 2012 15:27 |  #19

gdunican wrote in post #14392997 (external link)
My budget is up to $1200

Would you be wanting just the one lens, or are you interested in doing other things with that budget as well? e.g. upgrading camera, buying a flash, buying a wider lens etc...

If its just the one lens, then thats quite a decent budget to go on. If you're going with a 70-200, I'd suggest skipping the canon 70-200 f4 IS, because the sigma 70-200 2.8 OS costs the same, and gives you an extra stop of aperture while retaining similar IQ and with nicer build quality (I have actually used both the older version of the sigma which has the same build, and the canon, so I do know what I'm talking about in that regard).

If you want something longer (which I'm guessing you may very well do, judging by your first post), then a used 100-400 or a sigma 150-500 would be perfect if you don't mind the weight. They do get quite heavy.
Between the two, the 100-400 will normally give better IQ, as well as nicer build and better AF, but the sigma gives you better stabilisation, and an extra 100mm of range which is not insignificant.
Personally though, between those two I'd probably go for the 100-400.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

gdunican
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2012

May 07, 2012 16:04 |  #20

After digesting EVERYTHING said here (and I thank everthing for their input) I have chosen the following lens: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras...

I have put in my cart (Amazon), but have yet to pay. Wanted some final input. Thanks so much everyone!

Greg
Canon EOS Rebel XS
Midcoast Maine

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2012 16:11 |  #21

gdunican wrote in post #14394679 (external link)
After digesting EVERYTHING said here (and I thank everthing for their input) I have chosen the following lens: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras...

I have put in my cart (Amazon), but have yet to pay. Wanted some final input. Thanks so much everyone!

To be honest that is the one lens I would recommend against. I had it and was not impressed, I returned it after two days. The reasons I took it back were slow focusing, pictures were not at all sharp, fairly poor color rendition, and distortion. This was on a 50D so the results would be similar to what you would see. I know there are people who have this lens and like it but it didn't work for me at all. My copy may have been bad but I think other choices may serve you better. If you want that lens though I might suggest picking up a used or refurb.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined Nov 2010

May 07, 2012 16:18 |  #22

gdunican wrote in post #14394679 (external link)

Go for the tamron version instead, its better and cheaper. If you're going to get a canon 70-300, make it the L or nothing.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

Itsed65
Goldmember
3,392 posts
Gallery: 1697 photos
Joined Jan 2010

May 07, 2012 16:37 |  #23

Hello from a fellow disabled vet and fellow wheeler! I shoot 95% of the time from my chair, and find a big zoom to be very helpful to get shotst hat others can use their feet to get closer for. If you want any kind of wild life I would vote for the 100-400L. I also have the Sigma150-500 but since I got the L it gets very little use. I also have the 70-200 2.8, and it is fantastic IQ wise, but I just love the versatility of the reach of the 400. I do though have two bodies and kep my 24-105 on my other camera to keep a wide range of coverage.. It's a tough call and a personal preference thing of course. If you can rent and try them out I would recommend it. Welcome!

Canon 5D MK IV, 7D MK II, 1D MK IV, Fuji XT-2 Sony A9 and RX10 MK IV
My Flickr (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 07, 2012 17:22 |  #24

I'd also recommend against the "consumer" 70-300 -- it is weak at the extremes of long zoom and wide aperture, sad to say, and you say you want good long reach.

If you can get a used 100-400 you may be very happy, a much better performer.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 07, 2012 17:36 |  #25

I'm a serious bigot for Canon lenses, but I wouldn't touch that 70-300. Like Tony says, 100-400 is a better choice.

gdunican
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2012

May 07, 2012 18:19 |  #26

tkbslc wrote in post #14393662 (external link)
What does "100% disabled" mean? Do you have full strength in your arms? Some of these lenses recommended are not small or light, so I just wondered if you have an limitations with the size and weight of lens you can use.

WOW... I feel like I am on a roller coster ride with my thoughts. Took a breather from this for awhile today! I can not express my thanks to you all enough, it is very kind for you to take the time to dedicate some thoughtful and truthful replies to my request.

It was recommended here that I take some of my budgeted money and save towards upgrading my camera. That is a great idea, before I go spending $1,200 - $1,500 on a single lense!!

Sooooo after looking at prices, I think I should stick at around $500-$600 for a telephoto lense. It was suggested to me to get the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Lens. Then someone said that lens would be the ONE lens that they do NOT recommend.

How about the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD

*They are both about the exact same price. I am just not sure about the options and abilities of each. Rest assured, I will research the heck outa them tonight! :-)
Here is the link to the Canon EF 70-30mm f/4-5.6 IS lens I found on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com …rd_r=1G5P79NG0P​HJATJD9KKV (external link)

Here is the link to the Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD: http://www.amazon.com …rd_r=0YB4DNP0WW​WD2BNBKTSA (external link)

Thank so much

Greg
Canon EOS Rebel XS
Midcoast Maine

bigkeith
146 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 07, 2012 18:40 |  #27

Welcome and thanks for your service. Disabled vet as well. There are a lot of good suggestions listed and hard to determine which lens to pick from. If your mid coast Maine you can get those great shots of the coast so my .02 is go with the EF 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 from the Cannon Refurbished store for $519.99 in stock right now for your zoom. Then maybe grab the EF 17-40 f/4 L once again in stock at Canon Refurb store for $671.99 you get a wide angle shot of the scenery and closer shots of the family. The 17-40 is a good lens and seems to be held in high regard. Getting one for my kit next time the eagle....well you know! A side note, I was stationed in Portland for 3 years. Ex Coastie. Great photo ops. Got a million of Portland Head Light, Two Sisters and numerous trips "Down East".

7D w/Grip | XSi/450 | Canon EF 17-40 f/4 L | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 60 Macro | Tamron 18-200 Macro XR | Canon EF 24-105 L IS Macro | Canon EF 70-200 L | Speedlite 430 EX II | Kenko Extension Tube Kit | Assorted filters and other stuff
Flickr (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 07, 2012 18:40 |  #28

The Rebel you have can give you great results. Dude, put your money into a good lens.

I'd actually recommend the 100-400L. Many will disagree, but outside of 20 feet, it's so awesome. You can use your kit lens for the up close stuff, but 100-400 will do anything in good light. It's the perfect outdoor zoom lens.

But it is heavy.

Now, if you are also interested in a walk around lens, the 24-105: is also a great lens (and super light). That on your Rebel will do anything near and middle distance (but won't do sports all that well).

The 70-200 is good if you are close enough to the action. It's pretty much the sharpest lens (the IS version) you can get.

But don't get a lower-end lens. Get something with the little red ring or a white sucker.

Here's the 100-400L, taken with a Rebel XS (and since you're retired military):

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/Miscellaneous/Golden-Knights-So-close-to/886962489_ACNeX-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/photos/1191707545_Ezpyy-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/photos/884058580_Y4xFy-L.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/Miscellaneous/Miscellaneous/Panda-1/854934953_MvxgB-L.jpg

The 24-105L

IMAGE: http://fairmont.smugmug.com/photos/1191738937_eM5GX-L.jpg

Get a good lens, dude.

Thank you. bw!

bigkeith
146 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 07, 2012 18:49 |  #29

Nice pics. :cool: Also good advice with the lenses.

7D w/Grip | XSi/450 | Canon EF 17-40 f/4 L | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Canon EF-S 60 Macro | Tamron 18-200 Macro XR | Canon EF 24-105 L IS Macro | Canon EF 70-200 L | Speedlite 430 EX II | Kenko Extension Tube Kit | Assorted filters and other stuff
Flickr (external link)

highergr0und
545 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 07, 2012 19:03 |  #30

55-250 for a budget, 70-200 f4 for pure IQ, sigma 70-200 2.8 OS if 3rd party doesn't bother you, or find a deal on a 100-400 for the reach you're looking for.

All are great choices

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

sponsored links

5,911 views & 0 likes for this thread
Disabled Vet Starting new hobby...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.