Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 10:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

miscellaneous 5D MKIII questions

bunyarra
429 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2006

May 07, 2012 13:03 |  #31

tagnal wrote in post #14393712 (external link)
Has anyone noticed autofocus not working sometimes when coming out of sleep mode? It's happened to me maybe the 3rd time ever this last weekend (so pretty rarely). I wasn't taking pictures for a bit and the camera self shut off (sleep), then when I pulled it up to take an image, it wouldn't focus and wouldn't shoot the image (since I have it set for focus priority). Pressing the shutter button down half way didn't work, so I tried the back button focus I have set and that didn't work either. I made sure the lens was still set to AF and it was. When I turned the camera switch off, then back on, AF was working normally.

Anyone else notice this?

Yup - have this often. Very annoying when you when you need to capture a fleeting moment. But if seems to recover after a few secs and I don't need to turn off/on

-------------
Michael Gove
http://photosignals.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
Google+ Profile (external link)

sponsored links
tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 07, 2012 13:47 |  #32

Hmm, i fiddled with mine for almost a minute and it didn't recover. Maybe next time I'll see if I just wait, if it works or not. Although if I'm in a hurry to get a shot, OFF-ON seems to be the quickest and easiest solution.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

BHollis
63 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 07, 2012 20:04 |  #33

DarthVader wrote in post #14393492 (external link)
Akita ?.

Norwegian Elkhound.

bessie
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 25, 2012 12:59 |  #34

hi just went fron a canon 400d to 5d mkiii 24-105 lens kit going to do a wedding soon just curious what settings i should use i did use portrait but dont want shadows. any ideas greatly appreciated also noticed i took a pic of 2 nephews together yesterday one of the kids was out of focus ant the other was grand will be taking group shots and dont want this happening please help

BufordFZ1
622 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jul 25, 2012 13:50 as a reply to  @ bessie's post |  #35

Gregg,
Just checked out your photo stream,,great pics from the auto show....nice and sharp...Didn't think the 24-105 would be that sharp.

Good job.

A2, 60D, 5DII
Canon EF 17-40mm L
EF 100mm L
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L
Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM,Canon 50 1.4, 430 EXII,580 EXII

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jul 25, 2012 15:02 |  #36

bessie wrote in post #14768095 (external link)
hi just went fron a canon 400d to 5d mkiii 24-105 lens kit going to do a wedding soon just curious what settings i should use i did use portrait but dont want shadows. any ideas greatly appreciated also noticed i took a pic of 2 nephews together yesterday one of the kids was out of focus ant the other was grand will be taking group shots and dont want this happening please help

When taking pictures of a group of people, use a smaller aperture to get a larger depth of field so that everyone is in focus.

As far as what settings to use when you shoot... you use whatever settings you need to get the exposure that you want... Do you know how your camera works? A good book to read is "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. If you haven't read it, you should. It is great.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 25, 2012 17:52 |  #37

What I find strange is when I attach the 100L macro to the camera and try focusing, the camera can't auto focus. I have to first manually focus and then it locks in. Is this normal? Never happens with other lenses.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

sponsored links

5,824 views & 0 likes for this thread
miscellaneous 5D MKIII questions
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.