Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 07 May 2012 (Monday) 12:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

needing some words of encougement

RACHPAR
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 07, 2012 12:43 |  #1

I have only been doing wedding for 2 years now. this most resent wedding i did, i was told that they are going to have their friend there that was also a new photographer, doing the wedding for free as a gift to the bride and groom. fine no problem. Well as it turns out she had way more experience then me and had tons of equipment and props. Now i am having a really hard time getting the wedding edited and ready for the bride and groom. i have seen some of the photos the other photographer posted on facebook. needless to say i am just so done with this wedding a feel as though my work is all crap. Just wondering who has been in this boat before, and how do you deal with all the other photographers out there. so may ideas and options.

sponsored links
ATP
Goldmember
2,550 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2009

May 07, 2012 13:55 |  #2

I wouldnt get discouraged or anything.

My sister got married a year ago. She hired a pro weddng photog. I asked her if she minded me running around snapping photos like if I was the main guy, of course no prob. So I did. Of course the other guy was bad a$$ but i paid him no mind. I was there to learn and gain experience. The funny thing is the photog was telling me how bad a$$ I was (in my field of work) and asking me advice. I gave him the O_o face because his work was amazing (in the wedding world).

But dude, never let another photog make you feel discouraged or anything. Again, none of us started out at the top. We had to learn and trust me, you will never stop learning.

Canon 7d and a Bunch of other sh*t
website is down | FB FAN PAGE (external link) |TWITTER (external link)| Flickr (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 07, 2012 16:11 |  #3

There will always be somebody better than you and somebody not as good as you. There's not much sense in worrying with either one.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 07, 2012 16:28 |  #4

Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on. There will be more days like this and how you deal with it and learn from it will not only make you a better photographer but also a better person. Recently there have been has been a upsurge in the number of DSLR's toting guests and and other photographers. Most of the time the bride books the photographer but every now and then the grooms mother also brings her guy along. I would normally walk up to the guy and make friends, in the small community I work in I know most of them and we kinda get along. We also both trying to earn a living so we work together.

This couple hired you because they liked your work, do the best you can and deliver what you promised, let them decide whether the other photos are better or not.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,563 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 07, 2012 17:55 |  #5

Really, the only thing you can do is put forth your best. Use this as a learning experience in an effort to see what you can improve on to bring your quality up to where you would like it.

sspellman
Goldmember
1,731 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 07, 2012 19:07 |  #6

Throughout your life, you will meet many people more skilled and talented. Everyday is a chance to learn something new and wonderful. Realize that the B&G hired you because they valued your work and service. Complete the job to your best and move on to your next customer. Use the experience to learn and see how good you will be someday soon.

Ultimately "happier clients" are better than "the best photos".

ScottSpellmanMedia.com [photography]

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 07, 2012 20:47 as a reply to  @ sspellman's post |  #7

As long as your work matches the quality in your portfolio, then quit worrying!

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 07, 2012 21:32 |  #8

I'd advise you to put a clause in your contract that another photographer cannot capture be hired along with you or shoot along with you. Mostly so they don't screw with my lighting but also so I don't feel like I'm competing with someone else. I hired by my clients for the images they see in my portfolio which stay pretty consistent, but I've had one instance where I'd spent time setting up a portrait and an Uncle Bob came up and tell someone to move/change something so he can get that shot. That was enough for me. I tell my client I am fine with family members taking pictures but they can't set up lighting and they can't give direction during portraits.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

Cypther
147 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 08, 2012 09:01 |  #9

Spend a weekend doing psychedelic drugs, you'll get really creative and inspired. Then go out and take photographs.

Lakyla.com (external link)
5D Mark II | EF 16-35 II f/2.8 L | EF 35 f/1.4 L | EF 85 f/1.2 II L | EF 135 f/2.0 L | 2x 600EX-RT

dynamitetony
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 08, 2012 09:07 |  #10

are your prices reflective of you skill level ?

5Dmk4 : 5Dmk3: Sigma 24mm F1.4 :Sigma 35mm F1.4 : Canon 50mm F1.4 : Canon 85mm F1.8 : Canon 100mm F2.8 Macro : Canon 24-105 F4 : Canon 70-200 F2.8L mkii : Flashes, lights & Stuff

olivialowrie
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 10, 2012 04:04 as a reply to  @ dynamitetony's post |  #11

Life will always be full of competition, it's just a matter of how you can withstand them.

choosehottubsdirect.co​m (external link) - choosehottubsdirect reviews (external link)

PopTarts
72 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 10, 2012 07:55 |  #12

Take a couple of good shots of whiskey, sleep it off and remember:

1) If you've been in the business for 2 years, you must be doing something right
2) See if you can learn something from the other's techniques, etc. That way you come out of this event a better photographer.

5D3 / 6D ||| 17-40L / 24-70L 4.0 IS / 40 / 50 1.4 / 70-200L 2.8 / 70-300L / 85 1.8 / 100L Macro
John

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 10, 2012 19:52 |  #13
bannedPermanent ban

PeaceFire wrote in post #14396245 (external link)
I'd advise you to put a clause in your contract that another photographer cannot capture be hired along with you or shoot along with you. Mostly so they don't screw with my lighting but also so I don't feel like I'm competing with someone else. I hired by my clients for the images they see in my portfolio which stay pretty consistent, but I've had one instance where I'd spent time setting up a portrait and an Uncle Bob came up and tell someone to move/change something so he can get that shot. That was enough for me. I tell my client I am fine with family members taking pictures but they can't set up lighting and they can't give direction during portraits.

Right on!!!! Why in the world the OP was hired and yet another photog was working for free???? My guess is simple, for the OP. The photog's friend costs too much for the family to hire. So, they hire you instead. What puzzled me is that why this photo would even show up with all the lighting gear knowing that the official wedding photog is there also.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 10, 2012 20:03 |  #14

I agree about the exclusivity clause. But more importantly,
approach the other shooter ( outside the wedding) &
make friends, and tell them you admire their work.
Make friends and learn from them, but be open
about it. Offer to assist. Life long friends are made
that way...

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,973 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 10, 2012 21:41 |  #15

They hired you based on your work, so obviously they were happy with your portfolio. If you've delivered in line with your usual work then you have nothing to worry about.

There will always be many people around better than both you and I, and better than almost everyone. Use them as encouragement, not discouragement.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

2,404 views & 0 likes for this thread
needing some words of encougement
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.