Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 07 May 2012 (Monday) 21:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lenses for Video

Parafly9
35 posts
Joined May 2008

May 07, 2012 21:19 |  #1

Hey all, I'm sure there are a million lens questions here. But this is what I'm running / owning right now.

I have the following:

T2i
50mm 1.4
15-85mm 3.5-5.6
Flycam Nano DSLR
Rode Videomic
An assortment of filters

So, I really like the width of the 15-85mm on video but the speed leaves something to be desired. I just have a hard time shooting indoors with that high F-stop.

I have a baby enroute and was considering upgrading for a new prime ... but there is so much competition in the 50mm equivalent space on the 1.6 crop factor bodies.

Sigma 28 /1.8
Sigma 30 / 1.4
Canon 28 / 1.8
Canon 35 / 2

While I like the Tokina 11-16, I just think i Need something versatile for photos + video. I plan on making videos in the coming weeks of my child's birth, the inside of the hospital, etc. I probably don't need full width that i get with my 15-85mm, but you know.

Any suggestions on how to round out my kit with 1 new lens? The 15 sucks at 30mm because the barrel hold is poor and any movement on the flycam or even handheld will cause shifting. If I keep it at 15mm on the low end I"m ok but other than that and i get focal creep which in turn messes with my F-stop since it isn't constant.

sponsored links
Snafoo
Goldmember
1,431 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2011

May 07, 2012 21:40 |  #2

I have a T2i, 17-55mm f/2.8, and Sigma 30mm, and I use the 17-55mm 95% of the time. Just a great versatile lens for video, if a little on the large and heavy side. If you can't spring for the Canon, try the Sigma alternative - 17-50mm, I think.

If you're stuck on getting a prime, I'd go with the 30mm 1.4 of those you listed.

http://www.jonstot.com​/ (external link)

malibubts
224 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 07, 2012 21:49 |  #3

Check out some vintage glass. A lot of the old Nikon primes can be had for around $200 and slap a EOS adapter on there and you're set.

5D MkII, Rebel XTi
Canon 300mm /4, Sigma 70-200mm /2.8, Canon 50mm /1.8, Rokinon 14mm /2.8
PhotoEric (external link)

gibsonla
Goldmember
1,009 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 08, 2012 00:40 |  #4

rokinon/samyang 35mm

this lens will give you the absolute best that you can possibly get for video in the sub $1500 range. It's quality is on par with the 35L. It has a nice long focus throw, manual aperture control, and produces a great image. Only downside is it's a manual lens, no autofocus.

I'd compare it to the Zeiss ZF glass

Michael L. Solomon
DP/AC/Colorist
www.SolomonM.com (external link)

Parafly9
THREAD ­ STARTER
35 posts
Joined May 2008

May 09, 2012 08:38 |  #5

gibsonla wrote in post #14397017 (external link)
rokinon/samyang 35mm

this lens will give you the absolute best that you can possibly get for video in the sub $1500 range. It's quality is on par with the 35L. It has a nice long focus throw, manual aperture control, and produces a great image. Only downside is it's a manual lens, no autofocus.

I'd compare it to the Zeiss ZF glass

Thanks .. for video manual focus is OK anyway

Lobsta
136 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 09, 2012 09:57 |  #6

I have the Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS for video and i really like it. The OS is great and the only Con I can come up with is that it has a short focus throw.

iLvision
Cream of the Crop
5,766 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 09, 2012 10:01 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I don’t know if you’re a member of DVX user forums but there’s a TON of information for video.

Ilya | Gear | flickr (external link) D800| 14-300mm f/1.4GL ED VR III USWM

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 09, 2012 10:10 |  #8

gibsonla wrote in post #14397017 (external link)
rokinon/samyang 35mm....

Absolutely. There is little substitute for good fast glass.

I love mine with the only caveat that there is some chromatic fringing when wide open. You can only see it at 10x zoom and click back half a stop and it goes.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

fcrabbath
138 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 09, 2012 10:17 |  #9

Canon 24-105, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS, and one prime 50mm are the usuals I recommend highly.

IF i had to pick on, the 24-105 because of the IS.

http://www.youtube.com​/fcrabbath (external link) My films!
Canon 5D Mark II |EF 24-105 L

John ­ Sims
Goldmember
1,437 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 09, 2012 13:23 |  #10

I agree the 24-105 is a great outdoor lens for events, and people, with the zoom giving great flexibility and a good overall range. As a "Slap it on and forget about it" lens it takes a lot of beating. The AF is great for initial quick focus acquisition as well. If I could have only have one lens from my stock this would certainly be the one.

If only it was f:1.4 it would be perfect. And that is the rub, it's a bit slow indoors.

On a cropped sensor 35mm is probably more use than a 50mm which seems to always be the wrong length.

John Sims
Canon 60D, 30D, 10D, AE1 & some other stuff

sponsored links

1,502 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lenses for Video
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.