Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 May 2012 (Tuesday) 09:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does a full frame see less light?

snapshot2011
570 posts
Joined May 2011

May 08, 2012 09:33 |  #1

I have a question.

I have a 60D, 5Dmark2, 580exmk2 and 24-105.

Querie is this.

If I take a photo with 60D, speedlite and focal length at say 24mm, all flash settings set to default, the final image looks good. Not over or under exposed.

Now......if I take the 5d and setup exactly as the 60D shoot and take a shot, the resultant image seems underexposed. Its as if the flash didnt illuminate enough.

Is this just a moving up to full frame thing or have I an issue? To counter act this, I have to increase my FEC by +1 to get near to the 60D look.

Please clear my thoughts about this

sponsored links
KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 08, 2012 09:38 |  #2

How is the flash configured? E-TTL or Manual?

I would have thought they should see the same amount of light.

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Gallery: 301 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

May 08, 2012 09:39 |  #3

No, they should perform the same at the same settings. The problem could be a couple of things. The first is how are you measuring this underexposure? Histogram, or just the LCD? Are you putting the camera in the same place with this test? If so the wider frame of the FF camera may cause it to meter differently than the crop camera because its seeing a different set of elements which may fool the meter. Are you certain you are using the same metering pattern?

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 08, 2012 09:40 |  #4

KCY wrote in post #14398495 (external link)
How is the flash configured? E-TTL or Manual?

I would have thought they should see the same amount of light.

If he is using FEC, its ETTL as there is no exposure comp in manual.

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
7,170 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 08, 2012 09:42 |  #5

gonzogolf wrote in post #14398509 (external link)
If he is using FEC, its ETTL as there is no exposure comp in manual.

good point

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmug (external link)|Pong

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 08, 2012 09:45 |  #6

Different cameras expose slightly differently at the same settings. It shouldn't be a ton - like a 1/3 of a stop difference or something, but it's just how things are.

Gear List

snapshot2011
THREAD ­ STARTER
570 posts
Joined May 2011

May 08, 2012 10:10 |  #7

same position for everything, just one is crop and other FF.

Flash mode is E-TTL II

I have reset all setting on both bodies and still the same

Not sure why this is the case

snapshot2011
THREAD ­ STARTER
570 posts
Joined May 2011

May 08, 2012 10:11 |  #8

will research a bit more

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,281 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 08, 2012 10:15 |  #9

snapshot2011 wrote in post #14398646 (external link)
same position for everything, just one is crop and other FF.

But they arent seeing the same thing from the same position. The field of view difference between the two will mean the FF camera would be metering scene elements that are not present in the crop's field of view.

Try the same experiment with the camera and the flash both in manual. This is a metering issue more than it is a light recording issue.

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,506 posts
Gallery: 263 photos
Best ofs: 12
Joined Jan 2010

May 08, 2012 10:17 |  #10

If you're shooting from the same position, are you framing the subject the same, i.e. using a longer focal length lens to counteract the wider field of view?

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 08, 2012 10:50 |  #11

Make sure both cameras are set to the same ETTL metering mode?

The following is an old post with examples that also may help explain w/ pics.
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=4007153&p​ostcount=7

JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop
6,742 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Sep 2010

May 08, 2012 11:03 |  #12

MrScott wrote in post #14398861 (external link)
Make sure both cameras are set to the same ETTL metering mode?

The following is an old post with examples that also may help explain w/ pics.
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=4007153&p​ostcount=7

This. :D

Shane
flickr (external link)

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 08, 2012 11:03 |  #13

In my experience, the light sensitivity of cameras does vary. I look it more as technical falling of the metering than an actual difference between the cameras. I remember that my 40D used to demand less light to take the same picture as my 5Dc in low light, but the 5Dc seemed to get a better exposure while the 40D used warmth to make up for under exposure.

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
44,318 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

May 08, 2012 11:15 |  #14

If you really research flash threads on POTN, back 6-8 years ago it was very common for photographers to have to dial in FEC +1 by default, in order to get a flash exposure with the same density as might be obtained via ambient-only shot (on tripod). That was true on my 20D. Then, with my 40D and the same flash unit, on ETTL it was no longer necessary for me to dial in FEC +1 by default!

The OP has a 5DII, however. The difference in flash density very well may be attributed to the camera's flash programming, and how it decides about what zones to bias, etc. in commanding the ETTL flash to output a certain amount of light.

In order to prove that a larger format camera does NOT 'need more light', the flash should be put on Manual flash (not ETTL), and the cameras should be set with a manual shutter speed and aperture, and a flash shot taken with each camera...the results should be nearly identical for density.

Keep in mind that in a true comparison, one needs to keep in mind the need to choose FL to suit the format size! So if you use 30mm lens on APS-C (2 * frame height), you need to use 48mm or so on FF (2 * frame height), to frame the same area from the same camera position.
Also keep in mind that the zoom head of the flash may not be truly 'equivalent' in coverage area, when switching between two formats. So a way to eliminate that as a possible variable is to simply set the zoom head at a fixed wide position (like 20mm) for both formats, so that flash coverage angle is identical for both shots.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

snapshot2011
THREAD ­ STARTER
570 posts
Joined May 2011

May 08, 2012 11:46 |  #15

tests were conducted in manual and flash bounced off ceiling.

I have made the test very fair, but the 5d just doesn't see the light like the 60d does

sponsored links

3,240 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does a full frame see less light?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.