Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 08 May 2012 (Tuesday) 13:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newby with SX30is problems

queens_own
26 posts
Joined May 2012

May 08, 2012 13:43 |  #1

Hi All,
Iv'e got an SX30is with an attitude... when I take pictures using the self timer and use the 10 picture facility I get a strange happening...
1 when taking from two feet away all seems ok.
2 when taking from 2 meters or more, the pictures look ok until I start to enlarge them then I see that they are slightly blurred?
this is with no zoom on and at max megapixles.
Single pictures seem ok?
Anyone got any ideas?
Ken

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 08, 2012 14:05 |  #2

Can you post an example or two?

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 08, 2012 17:36 |  #3

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but keep in mind that the camera focuses when you initially press the shutter to start the self-timer. It does not re-focus when the timer runs out and the pictures are taken. If, say, you step into the frame but the camera already focused on something distant, you won't be in focus.

queens_own
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined May 2012

May 09, 2012 05:07 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #4

Hi lar55, I didn't know that it didn't focus between each shot... I took the initial shot of a chair and then pressed the shutter and went and sat down in the chair... the fact that it possibly focused on the back of the chair, would that have been enough to throw it out of focus when enlarged?
Ken

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 09, 2012 14:30 |  #5

Hard to say. These cameras normally have a huge depth of field, especially at the wide end of the zoom. Less depth of field with higher zoom, closer focus distance, and wider aperture.

You could try posting an example or two, as Jon said. There are lots of smart people around (unlike me, who just pretends...) who can tell the difference between out of focus, motion blur, lousy optics, etc...

queens_own
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined May 2012

May 10, 2012 15:00 |  #6

Can someone let me know how to post pictures on this system...how do I get a pictures URL ?
I have taken some more pictures of myself at about two metres and when I start to enlarge them they look fuzzy.
Ken

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 10, 2012 15:04 |  #7

Check the Image Posting FAQ linked in my sig.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

queens_own
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined May 2012

May 11, 2012 09:38 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #8

I hope I have done this right....here are two pictures, the first and last, using full 14mp, with no zoom on and at a distance of about 8ft, taken on P using 10 shot timed facility.
as one can see it blurs up very quickly when zooming in on the picture.
Ken

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 11, 2012 09:49 |  #9

Step 1 - turn OFF digital zoom. EXIF shows you had it active at 2.109x. That really does absolutely NOTHING for you that you can't do (better) in your computer. All it does is try to make each pixel into several smaller ones, and it guesses about what they should contain, so you lose sharpness.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

queens_own
THREAD ­ STARTER
26 posts
Joined May 2012

May 12, 2012 08:52 |  #10

Well folks I cant explain it but I decided to reset my camera back to factory settings, took a 5 picture timed burst and wallah...when I zoomed in on the pictures they came up clear.... I cant explain it...any thoughts?
Ken

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 12, 2012 16:28 |  #11

possibly that your shooting at iso 1600? point and shoot cameras dont do well at high iso till recently and i still wouldnt say images look great at 1600 iso on a point and shoot.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

2,111 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newby with SX30is problems
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.