Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 28 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 16:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Recommended HDR Software

General_T
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 28, 2012 16:38 |  #1

Hi,

Have never done an HDR photo but will do so fairly soon - I hope. It seems HDR can help with too much backlighting in a photo. I suppose you could just shoot 2 separate photos and expose for the sky in one and the subject in the other and then use photoshop to blend them together - but would like to play with HDR a bit.

So, what is the prefered software to merge the photos? I have Photoshop CS5, will that do the job or is there a better more dedicated software for this job?

Thanks

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

sponsored links
pridash
Goldmember
3,584 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: London, UK - Where 30 degrees celcius is considered a heatwave and liable to result in death.

Apr 28, 2012 17:52 |  #2

Photomatix is usually the software of choice for a lot of people. Lately I've been using Nik HDR Efex and think I prefer it.

Either way, I find both way better than CS5's built in HDR function.

Pradeep (but most people call me PJ)

Flickr (external link) | Website (external link)
Stop obsessing about gear and focus on your own art and creativity. Nurture and love the artist inside yourself.

Simon_Gardner
Goldmember
1,307 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Apr 28, 2012 17:55 |  #3

pridash wrote in post #14345012 (external link)
Photomatix is usually the software of choice for a lot of people. Lately I've been using Nik HDR Efex and think I prefer it.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i754.photobucke​t.com …er/2_original_t​humbup.gif (external link)

Yup, I agree 100% with all that. #1 is HDR Efex Pro; #2 is Photomatix.

@Simon_Gardner | Since 27 Nov 1987 | Tripod fetishist - moi?

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Apr 28, 2012 17:56 |  #4

pridash wrote in post #14345012 (external link)

Hi,

Yes I have seen Photomatix referenced a few times now. Will give it a try.

Thanks

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 28, 2012 22:34 |  #5

General_T wrote in post #14345021 (external link)
Hi,

Yes I have seen Photomatix referenced a few times now. Will give it a try.

Thanks

Just know that HDR is available in CS5, so give it a try alongside of Photomatix. What I'm not sure about is how to get it to handle processing two separate Raw processes without converting them into a tiff. Maybe someone else knows?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Canon_Shoe
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2012

May 07, 2012 18:30 |  #6

I like Nik HDR Efex Pro the best but that's just me.....I actually like the ghosting correction the best in the photoshop HDR pro, so if I have an image with a lot of movement, I'll put it together in CS5 as a 32 bit image and then do tonemapping in HDR Efex Pro. With HDR, less is more to me.....I mainly use it for getting a perfectly exposed image in bad lighting situations and then treat it like a RAW file and process it like any other photo :)

Facebook-- http://www.facebook.co​m/AndrewShoemakerPhoto​graphy (external link)
Website----http://andrewshoemaker​photography.com/ (external link)
Nikon D810, Nikon 14-24, Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 VR, Nikon 70-200 VR II

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 08, 2012 08:09 |  #7

For me it depends on the image. Sometimes Nik HDR Efex, sometimes CS6, sometimes use CS6 to blend layers..... Sometimes I end up doing all methods just to see which one looks best, talk about a time waste.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,127 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 08, 2012 09:48 |  #8

GIve Picturenaut a shot:

http://www.hdrlabs.com​/picturenaut/index.htm​l (external link)

if you are serious about actually merging exposures and utilizing the 32-bit data. Picturenaut is free, too. It is PC-only, but I run it on a Mac Book Pro under WinXP/Parallels.

It is not so much about outputting a final image with a lot of fancy toning controls, but it will do a great job at merging and compressing the tonal range of your data for further finishing in 16bit land.

kirk

Kirk
---

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,127 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 08, 2012 09:49 |  #9

Also - the newest version of DPP has HDR merge (more like image fusion, because there is no 32bit intermediary file made to save). Your 5DIII will do in-camera "HDR" as well.

kirk

Kirk
---

KA ­ | ­ Photography
428 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 08, 2012 09:50 |  #10

Luminance HDR works well for me...

T2i Gripped | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | EF 75-300mm III | EF 50mm II | Sigma 70-300mm APO DG zoom/macro lens | FujiFilm S2950 P&S | Photoshop CS5 | Lightroom 4 | www.facebook.com/kylea​mbrosephotography (external link) | ambrosefotos.blogspot.​com (external link)

Tonyz
223 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 08, 2012 12:07 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

I only use Photomatix, but I can highly recommend it.

bunyarra
429 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Feb 2006

May 08, 2012 15:35 |  #12

SNS-HDR for some of the finest, granular control over the images. Has built in masking to allow different areas of the image to be handled in specific ways. If you have never given it a go, you might be surprised how good this app is.

Oloneo for some of the fastest and easiest HDR/Tonemapping of any application - period. Often needing little post-processing work. Update needed for more effective de-ghosting though it already has routines than can work well.

Photomatix for good deghosting

LR/Enfuse for rapid, batch processed fusion mapping from Lightroom. Use these images as the starting point for later processing in PS through masking.

Photoshop for creating a 32-bit HDR image that is them processed in LR 4.1 ; this looks to have tremendous potential and might well make it into my standard set of tools

All IMHO of course :)

-------------
Michael Gove
http://photosignals.sm​ugmug.com (external link)
Google+ Profile (external link)

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
6,127 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 08, 2012 16:48 |  #13

KA | Photography wrote in post #14398554 (external link)
Luminance HDR works well for me...

The Luminance HDR 2.3.0 Beta1 is available now:

http://qtpfsgui.source​forge.net/?p=239 (external link)

Kirk
---

Jason ­ L
173 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 08, 2012 20:36 |  #14

Can't stand photomatix; way to hard to get a realistic result. SNS HDR is the best IMO for realistic HDR.

My Website (external link)
Gear and Feedback

Canon_Shoe
Goldmember
1,311 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2012 00:10 as a reply to  @ Jason L's post |  #15

Every Image is definitely different! I just used HDR on this photo out of necessity since the wind was blowing and the foliage in the foreground was moving during the 0 exposure. Used HDR for the foreground and then manually blended the background as the HDR version just looked kind of evil :) Not really a good example I guess since the natural image looks completely unreal due to the light conditions that happened here (some clouds in the valley/low cloud level/sun just below cloud level), and this valley in Kauai will just take your breath away in person, but HDR made it a usable image in this case

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Facebook-- http://www.facebook.co​m/AndrewShoemakerPhoto​graphy (external link)
Website----http://andrewshoemaker​photography.com/ (external link)
Nikon D810, Nikon 14-24, Nikon 24-70 F/2.8 VR, Nikon 70-200 VR II

sponsored links

3,925 views & 0 likes for this thread
Recommended HDR Software
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.