Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 24 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 20:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you feel Sympathy for potential clients?

shawncorson
335 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 04, 2012 11:11 |  #46

Numenorean wrote in post #14378850 (external link)
I missed the part where he put the persons name address and phone number.

Okay so it says Tara. I know a few Tara's myself. Is it one of them? I doubt it.

Just an opinion.

Equipment: 5D MKii / 50mm 1.8 / 70-200mm F4L / 100mm 2.8 / 430ex II (x2)
http://facebook.com/re​galrebelphoto (external link) | http://regalrebelphoto​.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)
spb
583 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 04, 2012 11:43 |  #47

shawncorson wrote in post #14378881 (external link)
Just an opinion.

so did you mean it to be taken seriously or not?

60d | 50d | grip | 11-16 2.8 | 17-55 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 24-105 | 70-200 II | 60 macro | 580EXII x2
flickr (external link) | gear | feedback

shawncorson
335 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 04, 2012 11:48 |  #48

spb wrote in post #14379026 (external link)
so did you mean it to be taken seriously or not?

Not in a literal sense. Nobody should do 8 hours of work for half of their original price based on someone's circumstances considering I can't go into Best Buy and say "my favorite show is on tonight and I JUST HAVE to watch on that 73" TV please give it to me half price, I was beat as a child"..the world just doesn't work like that.

I was just giving a sarcastic opinion.

Equipment: 5D MKii / 50mm 1.8 / 70-200mm F4L / 100mm 2.8 / 430ex II (x2)
http://facebook.com/re​galrebelphoto (external link) | http://regalrebelphoto​.com (external link)

flyinbrian
48 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 04, 2012 17:19 |  #49

Payment plan. I had bride with same issue she took 10 mths to pay no skin off my back take the 600 down and 600 in payments over the next year. Once its in the can it doesn't matter how long it sits process them after to get the full payment.

JeremyKPhoto
Goldmember
1,633 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 04, 2012 18:37 |  #50

I dont see a problem cutting someone a break once and awhile just to be a good helpful person.... but really... she is trying to play you with that email. She is trying to get you to feel bad for her, its clear since she had to bring up that she has been abused and everything.

With what she wrote... i say don't do it. It would have been different if she had said something more like "I appreciate your time working with me but we have decided that we cannot afford more than $600.". If she would have just said that and been done it would have been in your lap to contact her and say, "you know what, I will do this for you for $600 as a gift". But instead she tried to convince you to do it by playing on your emotions....

That being said, I do not think you should put their email on the internet. If anything remove the name and reword it yourself just to give us an idea of what she said. But that is just my opinion.

5D Mark III / 70-200 2.8L IS II / 24-105L / 50 1.8 stm / Tamron 70-300 VC / Sigma 85mm 1.4 Art

JDPhotoGuy
294 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 04, 2012 19:10 |  #51

flyinbrian wrote in post #14380610 (external link)
Payment plan. I had bride with same issue she took 10 mths to pay no skin off my back take the 600 down and 600 in payments over the next year. Once its in the can it doesn't matter how long it sits process them after to get the full payment.

Sorry for the aside and a slight off topic here, but...

You may want to rethink your logic on that. Not that it's necessarily the wrong stance to take every time, but you need to understand that you are sacrificing something here.

Small businesses shouldn't be in the habit of acting as a loan agent. We simply don't have the cash flow volume to handle it. Not to mention we draw it out and usually don't charge extra for the privilege.

You're basically shooting yourself in the foot. Because while you're getting all the money owed eventually, what you're not getting is the purchasing power that a lump sum gives you.

I'll see if I can explain the difference in a short story...

Three equally destitute and ambitious brothers each inherit a million dollars from their late uncle's passing. In his will, the uncle stipulates that the youngest brother will receive his million in payments of $10 a day. The middle brother will get his million in yearly installments of $100,000. But the eldest brother was set to receive all his money in one lump sum.

Ten years later, the brothers decide to catch up over dinner. The middle brother is the first to arrive to the restaurant. He shows up in his 2 year old mid-class truck, dressed in clothes from Sears. Shortly after, the youngest brother arrives. Still as destitute as the day of the inheritance. An hour later, the eldest brother shows up in his new Mercedes.

The eldest brother took the million dollars and bought a $250,000 house then used the rest to purchase into a few fast food chains. In the 10 years, he's made that money at least 5x over. The middle brother took his $100,000, put a down payment on a nice middle class house and lived a comfortable middle class lifestyle. But the youngest brother, while his inheritance will surely be coming in for even his grandchildren, had no measurable change made in his life at all.

-----------

That ^^ while an extreme example very much holds true for all situations. You're theoretically better off charging less to get it all paid in one lump sum. Not saying offer a discount to everyone who has money issues. Just saying if your choices are to do a shoot paying $1500 on a payment plan vs a shoot paying $1000 on delivery, you should be taking the latter.

Feeling bad for potential clients is fine, but you have bills to pay too. Unless you want to be asking for payment plans when you pay your bills, you should avoid these scenarios like a plague! :confused:

Yes, I have severe Equipment Deficiency. No, the pills don't fix it.

Candyann
113 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 06, 2012 08:49 |  #52

I know I came late into this thread, but damn! Drop and run! She could just be playing it up for a discount and who the heck plays the my dad abused me card. Believe me I am not cold hearted,I do have sympathy for people, but I don't let people use me. 50% isn't a discount, it is rude to even ask for it.

Arman's ­ Photography
663 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 06, 2012 12:05 |  #53

asianstutter wrote in post #14323124 (external link)
Today, I was contacted by the bride who was looking for a wedding photographer. She told me that she was a 22 year old, in school, lots of loans, family troubles and so on....
She was on a budget of course. She wanted 50% off on one of my package. So basically she wanted a packages with 8 hours, my cost? $1200. she wants to pay $600.
Anyways here's what she wrote

Do you guys get this alot?
Do you feel sympathy and give them a little discount?
what do you guys say?

I did not read all the posts and replies, so sorry if anyone has said the same.
My opinion on this topic is, if you can not afford something you don't buy!
I can not go to a car dealer and ask for 50% off!
It is getting ridiculous with all those demands like wedding photographers are some sort of beggars and will work for peanuts just to be busy.
I would not cave in and would not take this job, I am sorry. I had many questions like that but refused to do it, I got my price and that is firm, if the client can not afford it they can look somewhere else. My time, product and equipment ware and tare costs so much!

Toronto Wedding Photographer (external link)
Oakville Wedding photographer (external link)
Milton Wedding Photographer (external link)
2x5D MII gripped, 24-70mm f2.8 L, 70-200mm f2.8 II ISL, 580EXII,580EXII,2xYN56​5II ....

sixsixfour
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Joined May 2007

May 08, 2012 17:52 as a reply to  @ Arman's Photography's post |  #54

saw this pic on another thread here and deemed it appropriate. if i was in your shoes and did it, this would be my rig...

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i13.photobucket​.com …8/evomacky/Wedd​ingrig.jpg (external link)

:p

I do hope you ran the other direction.

Canon 7D / 50D / 30D / SL1 / XT

My photography-related addiction makes a crack habit look like a fiscally responsible pasttime.

Davivascaino
217 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 09, 2012 05:36 |  #55

That email sounds really fishy. Why the hell she would tell you all that details?? She did say on purpose she was "abused' to try to convince you. That was very low level in my opinion.

Second, if she is so troubled in finances, why she is getting married? she is going to spend much more money compared to a single life.

Third, why the hell she needs a excellent photographer(assuming you are one very good)?? If I can't afford a acura, I buy a toyota. If I can't buy a 3d TV, I buy a regular one! If you do not have money to get the best, get the good/average. There is nothing wrong with that. It is because of this mentality ("I NEED the best all the time, despite my budget) that US almost crashed few years ago.

I am not a professional photographer, but her story sounds very weird, and she is clearly taking advantage of her hx of "abuse", which I really suspect that it is not true