Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 09 May 2012 (Wednesday) 05:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much to Charge: My images on a Park Sign and more

wayne_eddy
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jun 2006

May 09, 2012 05:34 |  #1

Hi all,

I would really appreciate your input on this one!!!!

:D :D :D

A local City wants to place about 16 of my wildlife (bird) images on a sign at a local park and would like indefinite use for other publications/promotion​s. They do not want sole rights the images and will credit me for each image.

I had previously given them privilege of using 16 images for a one off brochure publication only for free and they knew I really wanted payment but couldn't cough up due to budgets etc. I'm a conservationist (and idiot) and like to contribute to conservation projects. Having purchased several images of mine for their archive and boardrooms. They are now willing to pay me for more.

The sign will be about 2.5m x 3.5m (8foot by 11foot). Publications will be educational brochures etc.

How much to charge for each image?

I'm thinking in the order of $100 - $150 each, but an online calculator says I should charge in the order of $400.

Below is a an idea of the quality of the images. Heck, everyone else want's them for free!!

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

wayne eddy
[I'm calibrated - are you?]
Gear List

sponsored links
FerozeK
250 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 09, 2012 06:01 |  #2

I'd say charge them just a little bit less than what it would have cost them to purchase stock photography. Make them sign a usage agreement, indefinite usage still needs to have some limits.

Slave7081
112 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 09, 2012 07:30 |  #3

If you're comfortable with charging 100-150 do it.
If you want to give them away then do it.

Its your piece so you get to charge whatever you feel its worth to you

Spam has never touched my lips but it flows from my finger tips
flickr (external link) | Google+ (external link)http://www.flickr.com …tephotography/5​432407239/ (external link)

Foodguy
Goldmember
1,324 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 09, 2012 08:19 |  #4

Slave7081 wrote in post #14403898 (external link)
Its your piece so you get to charge whatever you feel its worth to you

That's the thing...it's really 'what the market will bear' an the client side of the equation, and what it's worth to you on your side, for any kind of pricing questions. The way that those 2 issues are resolved is through negotiation.

It also never hurts to ask the other party what they had in mind as it can provide a starting point in the equation.

I have a set price list that I try to follow (based on a day rate for the kind of work that I do), but it's really only a starting point. There are times that I charge more and there are times when I charge less, depending...

My answer for most photography questions: "it depends...'

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 09, 2012 08:30 |  #5

wayne_eddy wrote in post #14403611 (external link)
I had previously given them privilege of using 16 images for a one off brochure publication only for free and they knew I really wanted payment but couldn't cough up due to budgets etc.

But they had the budget to pay the printer.
That's crap.
Everyone else would have got paid for what they provided except you.
Why is your product any different? Oh yeah. It's just a photo.

Having purchased several images of mine for their archive and boardrooms. They are now willing to pay me for more.

So they should.

The sign will be about 2.5m x 3.5m (8foot by 11foot). Publications will be educational brochures etc.

How much to charge for each image?

I'm thinking in the order of $100 - $150 each, but an online calculator says I should charge in the order of $400.

Below is a an idea of the quality of the images. Heck, everyone else want's them for free!!

Charge the $400 (or close to it.) That's what they are worth.
Saying it's for educational purpose is just a red herring.
The printer won't give a rats that it's for an educational purpose.
Neither will the suppliers of the signs.
They will all charge normal commercial rates for their product.
So should you.

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

Bosscat
Goldmember
1,892 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 09, 2012 08:55 |  #6

Find out what the city pays their public servants as far as wages go. None of them work for free, and they actually are working for you.

Charge accordingly!

Your camera is alot smarter than the "M" Zealots would have you believe

sorpa
421 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined May 2007

May 09, 2012 13:30 |  #7

Wayne, I have yet to see a calculator giving a quote for indefinite use.
That sounds rather like RF.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 09, 2012 13:48 |  #8
bannedPermanent ban

FYI, that is a white egret, for those not bird photography inclined. It is a very common specie in the US swamps or lakes. Personally, I find that pricing is more about attracting more future businesses than the actual monetary value alone. Considering that this is a common specie, I won't go crazy with the price. Are they planning to buy more photos from you in the future?

Correction...it is a snowy egret. :) It is still a very common specie.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

JasonMK
Goldmember
1,377 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 09, 2012 13:53 |  #9

I would be inclined to offer two pricing options, one for the single use and one that includes the indefinite use (however defined). If they balk at the price you feel it is worth to have indefinite use, then they can always fall back on the single use fee.

-JasonMK on Flickr (external link)
1Ds Mark III | 650D | EF 17~40mm 4L | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX III | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR CC

wayne_eddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 10, 2012 07:40 |  #10

I agree with you entirely.... this it the most sensible reply I have had across three forums.

THANK YOU!!!!

I'll read on ...

philwillmedia wrote in post #14404135 (external link)
But they had the budget to pay the printer.
That's crap.
Everyone else would have got paid for what they provided except you.
Why is your product any different? Oh yeah. It's just a photo.

So they should.

Charge the $400 (or close to it.) That's what they are worth.
Saying it's for educational purpose is just a red herring.
The printer won't give a rats that it's for an educational purpose.
Neither will the suppliers of the signs.
They will all charge normal commercial rates for their product.
So should you.

wayne eddy
Gear List

wayne_eddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 10, 2012 07:55 |  #11

lui-même wrote in post #14405550 (external link)
Wayne, I have yet to see a calculator giving a quote for indefinite use.
That sounds rather like RF.

WTF is RF?

The industry needs a calculator to give a rough standard in costing. It also needs a code of ethics. I too have not seen a calculator for indefinite use either and this is very subjective.

I know what time it costs me to take an image, process it and get it to the buyer. They normally just want it for significantly less than the time it cost to manufacture and can go jump if they want great images for nuts.

wayne eddy
Gear List

wayne_eddy
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,931 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 10, 2012 08:12 |  #12

TooManyShots wrote in post #14405668 (external link)
FYI, that is a white egret, for those not bird photography inclined. It is a very common specie in the US swamps or lakes. Personally, I find that pricing is more about attracting more future businesses than the actual monetary value alone. Considering that this is a common specie, I won't go crazy with the price. Are they planning to buy more photos from you in the future?

Correction...it is a snowy egret. :) It is still a very common specie.

Thanks for your input TooManyShots.

They want to buy 16 or pro images taken with Canon L gear and a great camera and photographer.

If I were to build a brick wall with quality gear, know-how and bricks etc I would expect to be paid equivalently as I do with my day job. I would not be undercutting the rest of the market. I do not do this in my day job and my clients travel long distances to see me. I have many referrals. You do not know this: I have several local, national and international awards for nature photography.

I appreciate that many posters here do not shoot birds at a professional level as there is little pro market for conservation subjects (thus I have moved on), however in this case the buyer is after common species for the casual observer.

Finally: It's a Little Egret and I am photographing birds in Australia - as my tag indicates. 'straya is not an American State. This is not a US site. It no longer amazes me how many Americans think the whole freaking internet is in the UAS or USA or whatever you call it.

wayne eddy
Gear List

Ltdave
Goldmember
3,158 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Apr 2012

May 10, 2012 11:57 as a reply to  @ wayne_eddy's post |  #13

It no longer amazes me how many Americans think the whole freaking internet is in the UAS or USA or whatever you call it.

Well since a freaking (or at least A freak) American (al gore lol) invented the internet, why SHOULDN'T WE think its all in the USA?

What makes you "descendants of criminals" think YOU had anything to do with it?.... j/k.....

all kidding aside, MOST dot com domains are US based not dot AU or dot CA or dot DK etc....

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 10, 2012 14:02 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

wayne_eddy wrote in post #14409727 (external link)
Thanks for your input TooManyShots.

They want to buy 16 or pro images taken with Canon L gear and a great camera and photographer.

If I were to build a brick wall with quality gear, know-how and bricks etc I would expect to be paid equivalently as I do with my day job. I would not be undercutting the rest of the market. I do not do this in my day job and my clients travel long distances to see me. I have many referrals. You do not know this: I have several local, national and international awards for nature photography.

I appreciate that many posters here do not shoot birds at a professional level as there is little pro market for conservation subjects (thus I have moved on), however in this case the buyer is after common species for the casual observer.

Finally: It's a Little Egret and I am photographing birds in Australia - as my tag indicates. 'straya is not an American State. This is not a US site. It no longer amazes me how many Americans think the whole freaking internet is in the UAS or USA or whatever you call it.

You need to chill. I didn't mean to make political statement. However, Obama is partnering with Australia with military supports in order to contain China. So, in a way, Australia will become part of America soon. :)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

Littlejon ­ Dsgn
Goldmember
3,266 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 10, 2012 14:13 as a reply to  @ TooManyShots's post |  #15

Wow lets everyone take a step back for a moment, to the OP not everyone reads your location on every post ... I know I assumed you were US based until you pointed it out, but getting all upset is just going to make people not want to help you.

sponsored links

2,761 views & 0 likes for this thread
How much to Charge: My images on a Park Sign and more
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.