Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 09 May 2012 (Wednesday) 16:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Do you guys check the shutter count?

Speedster159
567 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2012 16:23 |  #1

Do you guys ever check the shutter count when you buy a new body?

I mean like you bring a laptop when you pick it up and just check the shutter count right of the bat.

Or when the package arrives.

Panasonic HC-X1000 | GoPro Hero4 Black | 3770K

sponsored links
bauerman
discount on value meals
3,457 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 09, 2012 16:28 |  #2

Shutter counts to me are blown WAY out of proportion on buy and sell forums - especially this one.
"How many click's?" It's all you see out there. I've even seen people ask this question on lenses and other non-body equipment - don't even get me started on that.

Shutters can go at any point and for no seemingly good reason. Ratings are just numbers put out there by camera manufacturers. I would prefer to buy a body from someone that I know has taken very good care of it and not banged it around or let it roll around in a car for a year that had a higher shutter count than the opposite.

Speedster159
THREAD ­ STARTER
567 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2012 16:32 |  #3

bauerman wrote in post #14406501 (external link)
Shutter counts to me are blown WAY out of proportion on buy and sell forums - especially this one.
"How many click's?" It's all you see out there. I've even seen people ask this question on lenses and other non-body equipment - don't even get me started on that.

Shutters can go at any point and for no seemingly good reason. Ratings are just numbers put out there by camera manufacturers. I would prefer to buy a body from someone that I know has taken very good care of it and not banged it around or let it roll around in a car for a year that had a higher shutter count than the opposite.

Well i'm just asking specifically on new bodies and not used ones.

mguffin
Goldmember
2,627 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 09, 2012 16:41 |  #4

So you think used bodies are being sold as new...? Most retailers wouldn't want to tarnish their reputation, they sell returns as open box, or send them back to be refurbished.

Even when you buy a new car, the odometer never says zero...

Mike
Nikon D800 ~ Nikon D500
Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG ~ Nikkor 50 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 85 f/1.8G ~ Nikkor 12-24 f/4 DX ~ Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 DX ~ Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR ~ Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 DC ~ Sigma 50-100 f/1.8 DC

Speedster159
THREAD ­ STARTER
567 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2012 16:43 |  #5

But shouldn't bodies always arrive to you with a shutter count of "0"?

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Gallery: 211 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Jan 2010

May 09, 2012 16:46 |  #6

Speedster159 wrote in post #14406561 (external link)
But shouldn't bodies always arrive to you with a shutter count of "0"?

So you want a body that wasn't tested? New cars don't reach the dealers floor with an odometer reading of 0.;)

VanillaImaging.com (external link)"Vacuous images for the Vapid consumer"
500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)
instagram (external link)

Speedster159
THREAD ­ STARTER
567 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2012 16:52 |  #7

Scatterbrained wrote in post #14406584 (external link)
So you want a body that wasn't tested? New cars don't reach the dealers floor with an odometer reading of 0.;)

Okay... Well whats the minimum then? Like when do the red flags raise up? (e.g if it's past 5 clicks or something)

Also i have asked the guys at Canon, and they did say that the shutter count would be "0" when i get it.

Kingnog
310 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 09, 2012 16:52 |  #8

Scatterbrained wrote in post #14406584 (external link)

But....sometimes you get a new car that has 100+ miles on it from test drives. People don't treat cars gently during those test drives.

Speedster159
THREAD ­ STARTER
567 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2012 16:54 |  #9

Kingnog wrote in post #14406611 (external link)
But....sometimes you get a new car that has 100+ miles on it from test drives. People don't treat cars gently during those test drives.

This..

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 09, 2012 16:57 |  #10

Speedster159 wrote in post #14406610 (external link)
Okay... Well whats the minimum then? Like when do the red flags raise up? (e.g if it's past 5 clicks or something)

Also i have asked the guys at Canon, and they did say that the shutter count would be "0" when i get it.

Were are you going with this? I don't understand why you can't either tell us what it is you are worried about. You're so vague it's really not helpful to yourself or us. What if you bought a demo from BestBuy? What if you bought a camera from Adorama and it was the one they used to make the review video?

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop
8,416 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 09, 2012 16:58 |  #11

Kingnog wrote in post #14406611 (external link)

you're not going hurt a modern car in 100 miles, unless you actually wreck it, or it's a Volkswagon. ;)

Speedster159 wrote in post #14406618 (external link)
This..

Oh yeah, I guess if someone had a really heavy shutter finger. :rolleyes:

500px (external link)
flickr (external link)
1x (external link)

skater911
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 09, 2012 17:00 as a reply to  @ Speedster159's post |  #12

You have to keep in mind that part of assembly qc checks is that they randomly test products to make sure they are good. If my camera came with 200 clicks used I wouldn't think twice. Heck 200 clicks is easy to do in one day. These bodies are rated for such a high number generally most (not all) people don't even replace their shutters. I have never used my camera enough to do this. On the other hand I did have to replace a mirror box including the shutter due to physical damage. Just my opinion.

Nikon D850 l Nikon 28 1.4E l Nikon 50 1.8 g l Nikon 24-120 F4 l Tamron 100-400 l

Speedster159
THREAD ­ STARTER
567 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2012 17:03 |  #13

Scatterbrained wrote in post #14406631 (external link)
Were are you going with this? I don't understand why you can't either tell us what it is you are worried about. You're so vague it's really not helpful to yourself or us. What if you bought a demo from BestBuy? What if you bought a camera from Adorama and it was the one they used to make the review video?

The fact the body was used and touched by somebody else? And yeah i know alot of you will hate me for saying that... -.-"

But come on... Your buying brand new, might as well have 0 - 5 shutter counts right?

EDIT: someone = other than canon staff

LincsRP
427 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

May 09, 2012 17:15 |  #14

Speedster159 wrote in post #14406652 (external link)
The fact the body was used and touched by somebody else? And yeah i know alot of you will hate me for saying that... -.-"

But come on... Your buying brand new, might as well have 0 - 5 shutter counts right?

EDIT: someone = other than canon staff

I bought a (3 day old stock) S100 from a store in Hammersmith West London a few months back. The store assistant (a very nice lady) suggested I go and buy an untouched one in another store a couple miles away which I could have as I did have the time. When I said to her "yes, but you have tested this one for me" she laughed and agreed.

Did those customers shoot a hundred or so frames in three days? Do I really care as I have the Canon warranty card for 12 months from when I purchased it.

Buy it, use it, love it and wear it out I say...

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

Speedster159
THREAD ­ STARTER
567 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 09, 2012 17:18 |  #15

LincsRP wrote in post #14406702 (external link)
I bought a (3 day old stock) S100 from a store in Hammersmith West London a few months back. The store assistant (a very nice lady) suggested I go and buy an untouched one in another store a couple miles away which I could have as I did have the time. When I said to her "yes, but you have tested this one for me" she laughed and agreed.

Did those customers shoot a hundred or so frames in three days? Do I really care as I have the Canon warranty card for 12 months from when I purchased it.

Buy it, use it, love it and wear it out I say...

Still prefer buying in mint condition.. I think it's a personal preference thou'

sponsored links

5,778 views & 0 likes for this thread
Do you guys check the shutter count?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.