Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 09 May 2012 (Wednesday) 01:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM

johnzzx
122 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 09, 2012 01:45 |  #1

If you don't need auto focus then there is the Zeiss 100mm f2.
But seriously the Canon 100L is a great lens for the money.

sponsored links
little ­ canon
279 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2011

May 09, 2012 21:12 |  #2

I have both. Love them for different reasons.

I want lenses more than diamonds.
5DmkIII x2 | Canon: 100-400LmkII, 135mm 2.0L, 100mm 2.8L, 24-70LmkII | Zeiss: 100mm 2.0 and 50mm 1.4

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

May 09, 2012 21:23 |  #3

By far one of my favorite lenses. She can be magical.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

Timsxsi
159 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 09, 2012 23:35 |  #4

little canon wrote in post #14407796 (external link)
I have both. Love them for different reasons.

Could you explain why you like them for different reasons? Im thinking about picking up the Zeiss 100. Thanks

pyrojim
Goldmember
1,882 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 10, 2012 00:07 |  #5

Buylongterm wrote in post #14407856 (external link)
By far one of my favorite lenses. She can be magical.

I strongly considered buying one. Then I found a killer deal on a 50L, and in my mind 1.2 is greater than 2.8. Haha.

I keep thinking about the 100L. Man it's tasty looking.

After that 50L, I might have to go with extension tubes for the next year or so. I'm broke!

PhaseOne H25
Camera agnostic

silverant
375 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 10, 2012 04:05 |  #6

100L is my sharpest lens.

5D II | 550D | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 4 IS | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 IS | 580 ex II
sold : 450d | 17-40 | 17-55 2.8 | 24-105 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 4

little ­ canon
279 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2012 17:33 |  #7

Timsxsi wrote in post #14408479 (external link)
Could you explain why you like them for different reasons? Im thinking about picking up the Zeiss 100. Thanks

They are both sharp. They both have great color- but the color is different. Color with the canon is warmer. They are both nice wide open.

I have both because I love the "zeiss look". There is no way to explain the "look", but you can only get it from a zeiss. It really does have that 3D that people talk about. And the micro contrast it produces is amazing. I think the zeiss is sharper than the canon, but the canon is still very sharp. The zeiss can have some purple CA wide open (it was only on one of my pics and I was taking a pic of a b+w cat in the sunlight- the white on her whiskers looked purple). I asked a pro friend of mine about this to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with my lens and he said it happens with this lens sometimes wide open in the right light. Like I said it only happened to me on one pic so far. I like the bokeh on the zeiss more.

I like the canon for days when I am feeling lazy and want AF, or if I know I am going to need AF because I can't MF the zeiss fast enough to keep up with what I am shooting (small children move fast). But that is just me needing to get faster at MF. I like the canon for macro shots more because it is 1:1 vs the zeiss being 2:1. Sometimes I can't get as close as I want with the zeiss (tubes would help with that). I also like using the canon in low light because of IS- I have pics taken at 1/10 and 1/15 of a second that looked good. There is no way I can hand hold those speeds on the heavier zeiss.

I have been blessed to find good deals on both lens, so I don't feel the need to sell one of them. I plan on keeping them both, because I use them for different things. I can't recommend one over the other because it would depend on what you are wanting to use it for and if you want IS and AF. I like the zeiss better for portraits, I like the canon better for macro. They are both nice for street shots.

I hope that helps a little. Do you have any specific questions?

5DmkIII x2 | Canon: 100-400LmkII, 135mm 2.0L, 100mm 2.8L, 24-70LmkII | Zeiss: 100mm 2.0 and 50mm 1.4

little ­ canon
279 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2012 17:41 |  #8

If someone put a gun to my head and forced me to choose one- I would probably pick the Zeiss. Thankfully, I don't think that will ever happen.

Timsxsi
159 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 11, 2012 00:56 |  #9

little canon wrote in post #14412556 (external link)
They are both sharp. They both have great color- but the color is different. Color with the canon is warmer. They are both nice wide open.

I have both because I love the "zeiss look". There is no way to explain the "look", but you can only get it from a zeiss. It really does have that 3D that people talk about. And the micro contrast it produces is amazing. I think the zeiss is sharper than the canon, but the canon is still very sharp. The zeiss can have some purple CA wide open (it was only on one of my pics and I was taking a pic of a b+w cat in the sunlight- the white on her whiskers looked purple). I asked a pro friend of mine about this to make sure there wasn't anything wrong with my lens and he said it happens with this lens sometimes wide open in the right light. Like I said it only happened to me on one pic so far. I like the bokeh on the zeiss more.

I like the canon for days when I am feeling lazy and want AF, or if I know I am going to need AF because I can't MF the zeiss fast enough to keep up with what I am shooting (small children move fast). But that is just me needing to get faster at MF. I like the canon for macro shots more because it is 1:1 vs the zeiss being 2:1. Sometimes I can't get as close as I want with the zeiss (tubes would help with that). I also like using the canon in low light because of IS- I have pics taken at 1/10 and 1/15 of a second that looked good. There is no way I can hand hold those speeds on the heavier zeiss.

I have been blessed to find good deals on both lens, so I don't feel the need to sell one of them. I plan on keeping them both, because I use them for different things. I can't recommend one over the other because it would depend on what you are wanting to use it for and if you want IS and AF. I like the zeiss better for portraits, I like the canon better for macro. They are both nice for street shots.

I hope that helps a little. Do you have any specific questions?

Yes, I have a few questions. I too like the "Zeiss look" I see in the picture theads. AF and IS are not an issue. Most shots will be on a tripod. Is there a learning curve to the Zeiss? How much closer can you get to your subjects with the Canon?

MatthewK
Goldmember
4,071 posts
Gallery: 744 photos
Joined Apr 2009

May 11, 2012 06:32 as a reply to  @ Timsxsi's post |  #10

I have seen the "Zeiss Look", and feel like the 21 and 50 MP exhibit it the most. The 100 Makro, I just can't seem to see the "look" as much as the other two. It's sharpness is legendary though!

silverant wrote in post #14409117 (external link)
100L is my sharpest lens.

+100000

I took out my 24LII, 50L and 100L on a walk yesterday... the 100L just trounces the other two L's in the sharpness department, with the 24L coming closest, and obviously the 50L is a different sheep altogether (the Black Sheep L).

The only trouble is getting enough DOF to get everything sharp. It's my most challenging lens at the moment.

.:: GAS-Free 'til July 2020 ::. for real this time, I swear

pkilla
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 11, 2012 06:38 |  #11

Is 100mm lens canon or zeiss good on a crop camera for video and pictures

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/ (external link)
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

little ­ canon
279 posts
Joined May 2011

May 11, 2012 08:54 |  #12

Timsxsi wrote in post #14414450 (external link)
Yes, I have a few questions. I too like the "Zeiss look" I see in the picture theads. AF and IS are not an issue. Most shots will be on a tripod. Is there a learning curve to the Zeiss? How much closer can you get to your subjects with the Canon?

I can get very close to a subject with the canon when I put it on MF. I think the "official" minimum distance listed for it is 7", but if I switch from AF to MF (which you would do for macros anyway) I can sometimes get 4" away from the subject. With the zeiss I can get about 7-8" from the subject, so it doesn't fill the frame as much as the canon. But the zeiss is so sharp, that cropping the image doesn't really hurt he quality of the pic. I know several people that just bought extension tubes so they can get closer. I know compared to the cost of the lens, that tubes are not that expensive. I have just not bought any yet. It is on my purchase list though.

There really wasn't much of a learning curve to the zeiss. I had to get used to the focus ring going almost 360. The canon ring doesn't wrap around as much. But that takes very little time to get used to. Now my 50 1.4 zeiss has a bigger learning curve to it. I like the makro more and might pick up the 50 makro someday.

I don't think you will regret getting the zeiss. It is simply amazing. I wanted it for a long time before I saved up the money. I sold three lenses to fund one zeiss. Some people thought that was silly, but I am so happy I did it. It was worth it.

moltengold
Goldmember
4,296 posts
Joined Jul 2011

May 11, 2012 10:03 |  #13

i bought the 100L
and sold it
and bought the 100 non L
then i sold it
and return back and bought the 100 L again , nice colors gives you
and not only for macro
for portraits , products , you can use it like the crazy sharp lens 70-200mm 2.8 IS II
but at a focal length 100mm

| Canon EOS | and some canon lenses

sponsored links

2,625 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.