Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 10 May 2012 (Thursday) 09:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Problem with US Postal Service Registered Mail

sambarino
549 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 10, 2012 09:51 |  #1

Avoid a headache. Avoid the United States Postal Service. I sold an item here on 4/21/2012. I spent $32.15 to mail it from Indiana to Washington state. I shipped it REGISTERED MAIL, insured for $900, delivery confirmation and signature required.

It took 2 days for the package to go 90 miles to Chicago. After it had sat in Chicago for several day, I called the Postal Service. I complained online. I went to my local Post Office. The recipient did the same on his end. No useful response from the USPS. After two more days, I contacted the REGISTERED MAIL CLERK at our Processing and Distribution center. She called a contact inside the USPS in Chicago. Her contact found the package and got it moving again, after 8 days in Chicago. My package SAT in Chicago for 8 days! It has now been in transit for 10 days. It took 6 more days for it to get from Chicago to Yakima, Washington. Along the way there is NO scanning, no updates on location, and by the way, the USPS site still listed the 'expected delivery date as 4/25/2012. This was as of 5/6/2012.

On 5/7/2012 the package was delivered. I had to confirm this through e-mail. It is still (5/10/2012) listed on the the USPS web-site as 'notice left'. According to the USPS this package has STILL not been delivered. I got no notice of delivery. I got no verification of signature delivery.

During this ordeal, I contacted the USPS online and went to my local Post Office to complain. The e-mail response was a generic 'Thank you for contacting USPS'. It was never followed up. I did get a phone call from my local Post Master. She actually said, "I don't know why they gave ME this problem to handle." Outrageously poor customer service! I highly recommend NOT using the United States Postal Service to ship anything you sell. It does not surprise me that they are in such dire financial straights. Now they want to lower service standards? To what? Smashing every package on the counter when you drop it off? The only good thing about this experience is that the package actually did get there, in 15 days, for $32.15! Never again.

sponsored links
5DmkX
457 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2012

May 10, 2012 09:54 |  #2

This should be in the marketplace section and while I'm sorry you had problems with the USPS, they handle a million pieces of mail a day, undoubtedly 1 or 2 will get "lost" but for the most part, they have an excellent delivery record and up to a certain poundage are the most economical way to ship.

TJ

5DMkIV, 7DMkII, Canon 85mm f/1.4 IS, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8 II, Sigma 120-300mm f/2.8 OS
Facebook (external link)

sambarino
THREAD ­ STARTER
549 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 10, 2012 09:55 |  #3

I forgot to add: I have worked for the US Postal Service for 26 years. I will use United Parcel Service in the future.

sambarino
THREAD ­ STARTER
549 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 10, 2012 09:57 as a reply to  @ sambarino's post |  #4

I posted it in SELL so others planning to buy/sell could see it. If it belongs in another place, could a moderator please move it. Thanks.

smacatl
Goldmember
1,561 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 10, 2012 09:58 |  #5

USPS lack of tracking and crappy customer service are well known issues. UPS and FedEx are the gold standard for being able to tell where your package is up to the minute. Is there a reason that you selected USPS over UPS or FedEx?

Since this is not a For Sale thread, it probably should be in the Market Place Forum

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

jwm9289
713 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 10, 2012 10:04 |  #6

USPS has always done a good job. But then again, it's goverment employees.

Canon 6D | 16-35L II | 24-70L II | 70-200L II

eaglssong
Goldmember
3,342 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 10, 2012 10:07 as a reply to  @ smacatl's post |  #7

I don't care for the USPS tracking at all. It's never updated.

BUT......... right now, I'm still waiting for a package (an SD card) that UPS showed out for delivery on May 3rd, and is still showing out for delivery on May 3rd. At the top of the tracker, they change that part every day to expected delivery today (and the current date).

When I contacted them (on the 3rd, when it hadn't turned up by bedtime), they told me that amazon had to institute an investigation (is amazon the new FBI?? LOL). Puhleeze!!! And this is only one of MANY issues I've had with UPS over the years. Apparently, it's only in this area though, as I never had issues with them before.

Amazon was great!! Gave me a $10 credit, refunded my money immediately, and sent a follow up to tell me that if it ever does show up at my door, to just keep it anyhow.

It seems that all of the package delivery services have their issues...... unfortunately, we don't have much choice in the matter.

I'm glad your issues seem to have finally been resolved!!

:) Anne

h1r0ll3r
248 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2012 10:17 |  #8

USPS sucks and I hate using them. I hate it even more when people/companies send me things via USPS as I never know where they are at. I've never come across a shipping service that took "delivery by end of day" so literally. I've had packages show up at 9pm from USPS. Such a sucky service.

Canon T3i [Gripped]
17-55
| 55-250 MKII | Rokinon 8mm Fisheye HD | 430 EX II

350dinhand
283 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 10, 2012 10:22 |  #9

That sounds like a pretty terrible ordeal and nerve wracking considering the value of the "lost" package. I have never liked USPS's tracking updates. They are basically worthless especially for Priority packages since they are generally delivered in 2-3 days and it takes USPS's system that long just to update "acceptance" to "in transit". However, I have shipped a at least a couple dozen packages via USPS Priority (mostly flat rate) without an issue in actual delivery. I've even shipped to HI and international. I would expect that the reductions USPS is going through in order to stave off complete collapse will cause service will degrade much further. As service gets worse people will probably choose UPS/FedEx (at least for packages) and USPS will lose income further increasing their financial woes until they fail.

At least you had insurance and it was registered so might have some recourse if it was completely lost. They should have been tracking the package after it was initially stuck in limbo. I know I would be pissed and frustrated.

Gear | Flickr (external link)

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 10, 2012 10:23 |  #10

I use USPS for lower priced stuff all the time with no issues. Also no issues with FedX or UPS. Just lucky (so far). If you read this forum long enough you will see complaint threads about all the delivery services.

USPS definitely is way behind on tracking though, and that is one of the reasons I don't use them for more expensive items.

sparky16
363 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 10, 2012 10:51 |  #11

OP, why you used REGISTERED MAIL, not the PRIORITY MAIL WITH INSURANCE?
Registered mail is mostly used for "diamonds" or other HIGHLY VALUABLE ITEMS. It's the SLOWEST because every time it changes hand, had to be verified and signed for. USPS does not provide online tracking for registered mail, you should have known about it(you worked 26yrs for USPS).

You should use INSURED Priority mail for what you send. I have been using Priority mail exclusively(I don't have many transaction here on POTN, but more than 200 on FM), never had any problem, ZERO!

Over the years(more than 200 transactions), only TWO packages had taken more than 3 days. Most of them, about 99% of time, the packages were delivered in TWO days from CA to EAST COAST, or the other way around to me, and the cost is lower than UPS. Besides, when I'm not available to sign for it, I can always go to local PO to claim it.

UPS, FedEx? good luck to find a local office. Hope they don't toss your package over 6' high fence into swimming pool.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 10, 2012 11:07 |  #12

Never had an issue with the USPS and will continue to use them.
Have you seen this:

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=CQy6xuI8x18 (external link)

Really any one who know shipping understands that errors happen. What this driver did..not so much of an error...

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Naturography
Goldmember
1,261 posts
Gallery: 122 photos
Joined Nov 2011

May 10, 2012 11:11 |  #13

YUP, use priority with insurance is the way to go. I registered mail a pair of diamonds earrings for my friend from PA to NV in Jan, took 8 days to get. That was a sale and she got them the eve before she left to go out of the country. They'd be in trouble if the sale fell through i told them because they told me the package would arrive there in 3-5 days. Now i only use them for regular mails, fedex or ups overnight the more value stuffs = less stress => better night sleep :lol:

IG@ phuong_fotos

Badger49456
417 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 10, 2012 11:18 |  #14

I don't know much about Registered Mail besides what was posted above, but I don't understand why you wouldn't use Priority Mail. It takes 3 days max to get anywhere in the country, and when I ship with delivery confirmation the tracking information is always updated at least nightly. Plus, USPS delivers on Saturdays. Plus, USPS often has the keys to get inside apartment buildings so they can leave the package by the apartment mailboxes instead of outside the apartments like UPS or FedEx would have to do if they didn't require a signature.

Two to three day delivery time + Saturday delivery = always faster than UPS or FedEx.

flickr (external link)

bobjames
255 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 10, 2012 11:51 |  #15

The problem with USPS is that it offers too many options for shipping anything. It drives me crazy. They need to simplify. For instance, why do they have different labeled boxes for national and international priority mail? Irritating!

sponsored links

4,902 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem with US Postal Service Registered Mail
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.