Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets 
Thread started 10 May 2012 (Thursday) 10:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Dog Shows? Has anyone shot one?

V4her
484 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2012

May 10, 2012 10:32 |  #1

My wife's cousin is a breeder and shows dogs. My wife is also a photographer. Now she is thinking shooting dog shows.

Anyone else been there done that? What was your experience?

Thanks

Canine Sports and Pet Photography:
Flash of Paw (external link)

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 10, 2012 11:15 |  #2

you might get more comments if you posted this in the "discuss pet photography" group.

Whippeticious
Goldmember
2,302 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 10, 2012 15:03 |  #3

the lighting is often very bad and you probably need a fairly long lens.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,093 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 10, 2012 19:05 as a reply to  @ Whippeticious's post |  #4

I have shown many dogs and shot many shows. I like to use a 70-200mm lens on a 1.6x camera and sit down or kneel at the edge of the ring. A lot has to do with how crowded the viewing area will be and the sizes of the dogs being shown.

If you think of a ring as a clock with the judge set up at 9:00 o'clock (although most rings are not round, you can think about superimposing a clock face looked at from above), I like to station myself at 6:00 o'clock.

Usually the dogs will be walked in a group around the ring counter counter-clockwise and stopped in a row from about 11:00 o'clock to about 2:00 o'clock.

Then they will be judged individually at the judges station at 9:00 o'clock and then walked across the ring to 3:00 o'clock and back to the judge.

Lighting depends entirely on the venue of the show. Outdoors is no problem except for direct overhead sun at times and backlighting at other times.

Lots of shows are held in fairgrounds and the interior of the buildings can have pretty grim (both in quantity and quality) lighting.

You are usually allowed to shoot pictures for your own personal use but, are not allowed to sell the pictures. Dog shows have official photographers whose income is derived from selling prints. Usually, their contract precludes any other photographer shooting for profit.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

V4her
THREAD ­ STARTER
484 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2012

May 10, 2012 19:33 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #5

I did mean to post this in Pet talk, but I goofed.

You are usually allowed to shoot pictures for your own personal use but, are not allowed to sell the pictures. Dog shows have official photographers whose income is derived from selling prints. Usually, their contract precludes any other photographer shooting for profit.

I am beginning to see this at a lot of events and venues.

Canine Sports and Pet Photography:
Flash of Paw (external link)

icopus
"the creep following them around taking pictures"
2,809 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 10, 2012 20:17 as a reply to  @ V4her's post |  #6

I have shot at dog shows but only in the Houston area. Yes, poor and low lighting is the norm and the judging seems to always be away from the spectators. I have come to believe this is purposeful to produce unfavorable photographs from the sidelines.

Flash photography is permitted (and almost always unflattering) at confirmation shows though you may get a sideways glance from an exhibitor. However, flash is strictly forbidden at the other venues such at obedience, agility, and flyball.

I would post a link to my pictures, but a simple google search will yield much better pictures to aspire to.

It's my life and I'll get pissed if I want to.
"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar." - E.R. Murrow

Seamus69
788 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

May 11, 2012 13:20 |  #7

I took pictures for my breed club last year at 5 confirmation shows. 4 were outside and 1 was inside (Eukanuba). I used a 70-200 on a crop body and I was generally at the 70-120mm range. Flash was not permitted inside and the lighting was a mixture of temperatures. I was pushing the iso to 1600 at f2.8 and 1/125. I shot some agility indoors at 3200 and 1/250th. Yes, the dogs were a little blurry in agility.

Our dogs are put on a table for judging and I tried to position myself where I could see the whole dog as well as the judge and handler. It's challenging and I doubt you will be allowed to do it for profit as others have pointed out there is usually a designated show photographer.

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

Larry ­ Weinman
Goldmember
1,433 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 12, 2012 08:03 |  #8

In the warmer months allot of AKC dog shows are held outdoors. Fill flash is a must for bright days with harsh lighting. If you shoot agility make sure to use at least 300mm and place yourself far enough away so as not to distract the performing dog. I don't know if you will be given full access. Most of these shows hire a photographer and he will have a full set of lights and a background. If you get to shoot the winners make sure to bring a squeaky dog toy that you can squeak behind your back to get the dogs attention. Also, there is allot of traffic bringing various breeds in and out of the ring so make sure to stay out of the way and by all means do not get in the way of professionals that might be there.

7D Mark II 6D 100mm f 2.8 macro 180mm f 3.5 macro, MP-E-65 300mm f 2.8 500mm f4 Tokina 10-17mm fisheye 10-22mm 17-55mm 24-105mm 70-300mm 70-200 f 2.8 Mk II 100-400mm Mk II 1.4 TCIII 2X TCIII 580EX II 430 EX II MT 24 EX Sigma 150-600

briarlow
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 13, 2012 10:42 |  #9

In the UK it is not allowed only those doing it professionally and allowed to by the show committee in reality are allowed to take photographs and videos in the show ring. You can take photo's but it has to previously have been agreed by the owners of the dogs. I presume it's different in America.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,093 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 15, 2012 21:56 as a reply to  @ briarlow's post |  #10

One really difficult situation is shooting small dogs such as the toy breeds. If you get a shot of the dog and the entire handler, the dog is tiny in comparison. If you get a shot of the dog alone (except for a head on view) you will get the handler's shoes and parts of the handler's legs in the image...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Playm
991 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 16, 2012 15:17 |  #11

Don't forget that, if your wife doesn't contract with the KC of the venue, she can consider setting up a mini-studio as a photographer vendor. I see zero to two (at the big shows) photo booths at each of the dog shows we attend. (about three weekends per month) If they weren't making money, they wouldn't return. .. and from appearances, it seems like they do have business. .. Unlike the 'award' shots, the vendors/photographers shoot some really nice portraits. If I see one this coming weekend, I'll take a snapshot of it to show you how they're set up.

Shutterwolf
523 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 17, 2012 00:10 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

I have shot pictures at the show, but usually just for personal use. The only one I was going to make money on, flaked out on me, and it was just pics of her dog on show grounds, but not showing. It was also after hours on the last day as people were leaving. This was a small show in a small town though, so I really dont think anyone cared.

I have taken pictures at a big show in San Francisco as well, but they were of the dogs in their little areas and not in the ring. I always ask the owner first, and I have never been told anything against taking pictures or having my camera there by any staff.

I understand the photographer has to make a living off of this, but at the same time... how is one supposed to get any practice to become a pro if they don't allow others to take pictures? I would hope the photography world isn't THAT cut throat... Most of the photographers I have spoken with were pretty laid back and ready to talk and give advice. Only ran into a couple that were stuck up *******s who acted like I was a nobody.

Basically what I'm getting at, is to just go to one and start taking pictures. Ask the owners of the dog first of course, and if anyone else says something to you, just explain that you are doing it for personal practice and nothing more. They SHOULD be ok with that...

Josh
https://www.facebook.c​om/ShutterwolfPhotogra​phy (external link)
60D, 550EX, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark II, Canon 28-135mm IS, 18-55(old), Rebel Xti/400D (for sale)

sponsored links

1,629 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dog Shows? Has anyone shot one?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.