Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 10 May 2012 (Thursday) 18:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 50 1.4

TjMartin
116 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 10, 2012 18:45 |  #1

This is my third copy from B&h, I was very hopeful this one would be sharp, but it's all fuzzy at 1.4.
I took some photos of my girlfriend as well, head shot, focusing dead on her eye ball and it comes out all blurry.

I need some advice, I'm not trying to make sigma look bad because I want this lens to work in a big way, I don't want to have to go with the canon 50 1.4, or get my Sigma 17-50 after just selling it go get the sig 50.

Do you think sending it to Sigma would fix this, and is it worth it?

Focusing on his left eye.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Focusing on the H.
IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

60D + sigma 17-50 2.8 + canon 50 1.8 + a big wish list on my BH account:)
Smugmug (external link)

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,464 posts
Joined May 2003

May 10, 2012 19:02 |  #2

You may very well be pushing the limits of the lens. Your profile indicates you have a 60D so I ran some depth of field numbers based on that body and at subject distances of 15 and 20 inches. See the summary below. As you can see at f/1.5 and 15 inches to the subject, the depth of field is roughly 1/8 inch so not much would be in focus on the flower pot. On the keyboard, keep in mind that the camera body uses differing contrast to establish focus. Focusing on the "H" key might seem to provide contrast but likely doesn;t work as well as a solid white object next to a solid black object and the boundary within the center focus point, which I assume you are using. Also, when judging something like a keyboard, maybe at 20 inches to the "H" key, then as you move across the keyboard the distance becomes greater. In other words if perfect focus was obtained on the "H" at a subject distance of 15 inches (f/1.4) where the depth of field is 0.11 inch, then the letter "A" is likely 15-1/2 inches from the camera and out of focus because it is outside the defined circle of confusion used for the DOF calculation. You can play with the numbers at http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.htm (external link).

60D with 50mm f/1.4 at subject distance of 15 inches total DOF 0.11 inches

60D with 50mm f/1.4 at subject distance of 20 inches total DOF 0.20 inches

60D with 50mm f/2.5 at subject distance of 15 inches total DOF 0.19 inches

60D with 50mm f/2.5 at subject distance of 20 inches total DOF 0.35 inches

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

May 10, 2012 19:17 |  #3

I am just in the process of dealing with my supplier to swap over my first copy. Distance measurements for DOF at various settings aside, mine can be fine one shot, I mean really good, then crap for the next half a dozen or more. If it was a DOF distance problem it would be out every time. I was at a model shoot the other day and having issues, so switched over to my 85 f1.4 and it was tack sharp and spot on every shot. Tried the 50 again, same deal, so far out of focus most times it just wasn't funny, it did not seem to focus on anything in particular at all. If it focused as well as my old Canon F1.4 I would be a happy man because it is exceptional when it is right.

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

kin2son
Goldmember
4,546 posts
Joined May 2011

May 10, 2012 19:19 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

Why ISO400 on the first pic? You have 1/8000 shutter speed.....lower the ISO to 100...

Test it on tripod. Honestly they look fine to me @ f1.4...you can't expect decent sharpness wide open. That's just the nature of any lens really...

5D3 Gripped / 17-40L / Σ35 / 40 Pancake / Zeiss 50 MP / Σ85 / 100L Macro / 70-200 f2.8L II IS / 430 EX II / 580 EX II / Canon 2xIII TC / Kenko Ext. Tubes
EOS M / EF-M 18-55 / EF-M 22f2 / Ricoh GR aka Ultimate street camera :p
Flickr (external link) | My Images on Getty®‎ (external link)

erusty
62 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 10, 2012 19:23 |  #5

I sent the one I bought here for calibration, I hope it comes out fine :/ I think your copy looks fine to me , I had it worse off. It was front focusing by about 1 inch

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 10, 2012 19:49 |  #6

this could be a conspiracy amongst camera gear vendors, they cycle returned stock between one another. i got 3 bad ones from Amazon too, maybe you got the same ones i had. I gave up.

Jason ­ B.
344 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 10, 2012 20:16 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #7

I tried 2 copies and ended up sending my last to Cris Camera.Total turnaround was 8 days and it was spot on after that. It really is worth sending in and getting calibrated. Its a nice lens.

5DMarkII|24-105 F4L|70-200 2.8L IS II|580EXII|

sponsored links

1,045 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 50 1.4
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.