Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 27 Apr 2012 (Friday) 11:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New FF DSLR from Canon with new sensor coming "soon"

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 28, 2012 18:27 |  #16

Jahled wrote in post #14344891 (external link)
The D800 price must have shocked Canon to the core; I can't see any reason why a 1DX doing what it was designed to need to be priced any differently from a MB beast housed in the same with the same AF, given they would afford us completely different things.

Not that I know anything

That shock might explain the shuffle (and exit) of top management at Canon.

sponsored links
iamascientist
680 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Apr 28, 2012 19:04 |  #17

I hope nikon really b*tch smacked them into reality with the d800. I think the megapickle race just launched into outer space with this one. Canon will have an offering, probably in the 40-45MP range, then i would expect sony (after they use the 36MP sensor) to take the technology used in the nex-7's sensor and apply that to full frame, creating a monster megapickle sensor. Maybe even Fuji could jump in on the fun, with their recent sensor tech I think they would produce an amazing high MP full frame sensor. I think nikon may have gone in over their heads on this one, the demand is way to much for them to keep up with, people on waiting lists possibly having to wait till November to have their cameras, it sucks. It will probably be over a year before the cameras are in stock somewhat consistently.

pbelarge
Goldmember
2,837 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Apr 28, 2012 19:07 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #18

Pricing is not adjusted based on Nikon or any other competitor's price alone. The dollar exchange has a lot to say about it as well. I cannot say for sure, but it seems to me the d800 and 5D3 are selling like hotcakes.

Also, all of the features mentioned, based on today's Canon prices leads me to believe either of two things will happen.
It will be expensive
or
It will be competitively priced and then 5D3 sales will slow to a crawl.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Apr 29, 2012 06:56 as a reply to  @ pbelarge's post |  #19

CR also mentioned a new "entry-level FF" camera for late 2012 or 2013. Perhaps a rebadged 5D MK II?

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

Hardcore
Goldmember
2,668 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Apr 30, 2012 23:06 |  #20

Too late. Already switched to nikon. I have been craving more dynamic range for a long long time. I really hope canon does deliver though. I think my switching helps that. Murphy has a liking to making me look like an idiot.

Name: Corey
GEAR
Website (external link)

ziggy25
259 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 01, 2012 12:40 |  #21

Ricku wrote in post #14338823 (external link)
Yes, this is just another rumor but at least a little bit better than all the the "my friend's brother's friend's sister's father has heard...-rumor".)

So a site dedicated to rumours is more reliable than a standard rumour? :D

Loved your flickr stream by the way :)

My gallery - Feel free to C&C
http://www.DiniOnline.​com (external link) http://www.flickr.com/​photos/ziggy25 (external link)

Keltab
912 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Apr 2007

May 02, 2012 19:27 |  #22

Hmm - I wonder if the shuffling of the lines will allow Canon to bring down the price point of the 5D3 when they release the next camera? Ride the wave of early adopters to help finance the next line? 5D3 drops to $2500 - $2999 when the next camera comes in above it? I can see them shifting the price point allocation based on the success of the d800. If so, I wonder the specs of the new guys?
It will have to kick A$$ to truly make an impact...

The Only Difference Between Ordinary and Extraordinary Is That Little Extra :D

Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 09, 2012 14:21 |  #23

If that camera is "coming soon", than 1dx is started to ship "yesterday"

KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 09, 2012 15:27 |  #24

pbelarge wrote in post #14344152 (external link)
Sounds more like a 7-8 thousand dollar camera...

Canon has already set the bar, it does not seem to have slowed down sales too much, other than people on the fence - and this group of cameras is not priced for the "fence" and they are well aware of that.

Keltab wrote in post #14369348 (external link)
Hmm - I wonder if the shuffling of the lines will allow Canon to bring down the price point of the 5D3 when they release the next camera? Ride the wave of early adopters to help finance the next line? 5D3 drops to $2500 - $2999 when the next camera comes in above it? I can see them shifting the price point allocation based on the success of the d800. If so, I wonder the specs of the new guys?
It will have to kick A$$ to truly make an impact...

I'm thinking this new FF body will be around $2499-$2799. Can't imagine Canon putting another high price body between 5D3 and 1DX.

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 10, 2012 21:29 |  #25

rick_reno wrote in post #14340819 (external link)
they'll rebadge the 5d2 as the 5dx, claim it's got a new 22mp sensor and be off to the races

Canon does not pull Nikons tricks like when they took the D3 and rebadge is as the D700 and lowered the price. Exact same camera in a different body.

Busted ­ Knuckles
109 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 13, 2012 07:38 |  #26

This seems to be a discussion on still images - Canon just did the 1D-C which is curious if nothing else. All the video guys were doing the 5d2.

Could the "next" body be yet more convergence between video and still? Perhaps something that smoothly zoomed the sensor from FF to 1920/1080? (more a software thing I suspect).

Or a still body that did the 4k video?

I looked at the vimeo of the 5k3 and d800 comparison and the stepped up resolution was "nice" but certainly wasn't a show stopper. What was the low light/high iso video which separated the 5d3 from the d800 my several stops- even the nikon fanboy had give the nod.

Something that did 4k video and fixed rolling shutter at 60 fps would be a very interesting development

If you see me with a wrench - call 911. 5d3, T3i, 17-55 2.8, 50 1.8, 70-200 2.8 L II, 24-105 f4. YN 565, Precision Lupe attached to hacked extended eyecup (no sticky frame) - old enough to have owned an original F-1

sponsored links

7,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
New FF DSLR from Canon with new sensor coming "soon"
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.