Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 May 2012 (Friday) 01:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WATER IMMERSION WITH MY BRAND NEW CANON EOS 7d

Bblens
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2012

May 11, 2012 01:47 |  #1

I stupidly was walking along some rocks and water in the ocean, when I stepped on something sharp and slippery, causing me to fall and my canon 7d got completely emerged into water.....but it was only literally for like 1 second

I immediately took out the battery all the coverings, took off the lens and attempted to dry it out.I checked it this morning and it east turning on....it was completely stupid on my part, but it vie dine it so many times before walking over water and been safe.

Its definitely getting me worried at its completely destroyed...:cry:

But am wondering if anyone has some suggestions or if i should just give it up, and seek into repairing it....

It s hard for me to figure out to dry it properly since i m travelling too.

Any suggestions would be great though!

sponsored links
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,930 posts
Gallery: 1740 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 11, 2012 02:15 |  #2

"Rocks and water in the ocean"... so salt water.

Good luck. Even if you dry it out, it's the salt that's leftover, which is what causes the most damage that you need to worry about. Hopefully you have renter's/homeowner's insurance that might cover your gear.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

panicatnabisco
972 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012

May 11, 2012 02:19 |  #3

Its hard to tell, i've seen cameras immersed underwater and you wouldn't believe what saltwater can do to its innards. Granted, this was a D3000 with absolutely no weather sealing, but its was a shock to see how much damage it took despite looking completely fine from the outside.

Canon 1DX III | 1DX | 6D II | 6D | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-70/2.8 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

Bruce ­ Foreman
279 posts
Joined Jul 2004

May 11, 2012 02:24 |  #4

If you had an L series lens on it with a properly fitting filter on the front of the lens the body and lens were "weather sealed", not meant for full immersion but I've seen video with a guy rinsing his 7D with L series lens under the kitchen sink faucet.

All you can do is let it dry thoroughly for several days. Lay it in a bowl on uncooked rice with a paper towel over the rice, lay the camera and lens separately on the paper towel and seal the top of the bowl with plastic wrap. The uncooked rice may draw moisture out of the camera and lens.

You probably should not have taken the lens off for several days. The camera may have survived the short immersion but your real problem will be that it was sea water. Just have to see.

Canon will as a matter of course refuse to attempt repairs on any camera that has been subjected to immersion or has been wet if not a weather sealed body and lens combination. This is because they cannot guarantee such repairs.

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 11, 2012 02:25 |  #5

I would take it in asap. Here is an old thread about a 1series that corroded from being under a wet cloth.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1077957

Also, if you didn't take the internal battery out, you still had power going through the circuitry and that could have shorted something out as well.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

monk3y
Totally Saturated
46,198 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 11, 2012 02:26 |  #6

I don't think there's anything you could do...once you get saltwater "Inside" the camera there's almost no way of recovering it.

Freshwater is easy, dry it out completely and you're good to go, with saltwater, it will corrode a lot of parts in your camera.

www.monk3y.com (external link) | My GEAR

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 11, 2012 02:29 |  #7

Sorry to say but it's 99.9999% a total loss. Repairing will almost certainly be not an option.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 11, 2012 03:03 |  #8

Agreed. There's nothing you can do except let it thoroughly dry and then use the camera until the corrosion eventually causes it to fail. It could take awhile as it hard to tell exactly how much salt water made it inside the camera.

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate story!

Bryan

My Gear List

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
2,383 posts
Joined Jun 2010

May 11, 2012 03:05 |  #9

HyperYagami wrote in post #14414651 (external link)
Sorry to say but it's 99.9999% a total loss. Repairing will almost certainly be not an option.

This. Corrosion from salt water is imminent.

The best you can do is see if it's covered by your homeowners insurance. If you don't have insurance on your gear I would highly recommend it.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500px (external link)
flickr (external link)

madjack
Goldmember
2,038 posts
Gallery: 202 photos
Joined Jul 2006

May 11, 2012 03:09 as a reply to  @ HyperYagami's post |  #10

Salt water is a ****. Did you buy it with a credit card? I don't know if this still applies but years ago i bought an RC car. I didn't know how to control it well. Like a dumbazz I accidently drove it right under a Cadillac coming down the street. The CC company sent me a credit for a new one. its worth a shot if its not too old.

Good Luck!

Canon 5D Mk IV | Canon 5D Mk II | Canon 7D | Canon 30D
Canon EF 16-35L IS | Canon EF 24-105L IS | Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 IS II | Canon EF 100-400L IS II | Canon EF 50mm-f/1.8
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS | Canon EF-S 18-55 | Canon EF 70-300 IS | RRS TVC 34L Tripod | RRS BH-55 Ballhead

neodom34
26 posts
Joined May 2011

May 11, 2012 03:13 |  #11

lost for lost... why not trying to put the camera into a bucket of distilled water for a day or two (removing all batteries), that should get rid of the salt ?

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 11, 2012 11:12 |  #12

neodom34 wrote in post #14414728 (external link)
lost for lost... why not trying to put the camera into a bucket of distilled water for a day or two (removing all batteries), that should get rid of the salt ?

1) corrosion has already happened. 2) minerals dissolves into the water so you're submerging it in a bucket of not-so-distill water essentially.

5D3 and a few lens
es.

jwp721
771 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 11, 2012 11:54 |  #13

Submerging a camera in a bucket of water is not going to fix anything. It isn't even a good way to waste time. Save your distilled water for something else.....

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 11, 2012 11:59 |  #14

Salt water = total loss. The camera would have to have been full disassembled and rinsed within minutes of contact with salt water.

Insurance claim time, if your homeowners will cover it. Canon won't even examine a camera with water damage.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

arentol
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 11, 2012 12:06 |  #15

Bruce Foreman wrote in post #14414640 (external link)
All you can do is let it dry thoroughly for several days. Lay it in a bowl on uncooked rice with a paper towel over the rice, lay the camera and lens separately on the paper towel and seal the top of the bowl with plastic wrap. The uncooked rice may draw moisture out of the camera and lens.

You do not want to use rice. Rice has dust. Putting your camera in a pile of dust is asking for trouble.

Go out and buy some silica based kitty litter and put the camera in that instead. It is much safer.

5D3 | Rokinon 14 f/2.8 | 16-35L II | TS-E 24L | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | Voigtlander 40 f/2.0 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | MP-E 65 | 70-200 2.8L IS II | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Zeiss 100 f/2 | Σ 120-300 f/2.8 OS | 580 EX II | 430 EX II | Fuji X10 | OM-D E-M5 | http://www.mikehjphoto​.com/ (external link)
*****Lenses For Sale (external link)*****

sponsored links

11,043 views & 0 likes for this thread
WATER IMMERSION WITH MY BRAND NEW CANON EOS 7d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.