Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 May 2012 (Friday) 01:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

WATER IMMERSION WITH MY BRAND NEW CANON EOS 7d

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,617 posts
Gallery: 1650 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

May 11, 2012 12:11 |  #16

arentol wrote in post #14416291 (external link)
You do not want to use rice. Rice has dust. Putting your camera in a pile of dust is asking for trouble.

Go out and buy some silica based kitty litter and put the camera in that instead. It is much safer.

Just make sure you don't have a cat. Otherwise, you might find some additional surprises in/around/on your camera. :)

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 11, 2012 12:26 |  #17

arentol wrote in post #14416291 (external link)
You do not want to use rice. Rice has dust. Putting your camera in a pile of dust is asking for trouble.

Go out and buy some silica based kitty litter and put the camera in that instead. It is much safer.

Once salt water has dried, the damage is permanent. Silica is the better option, but often times, people will have rice on hand.

A little dust on the mirror or sensor is a minor inconvenience compared to a total camera replacement, and it's not like you'll be tossing the camera around in the bag like you're breading some chicken to fry.

Regardless, it's really only an option for those who have dunked cameras in fresh water. Salt water is a death sentence.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

angryman
573 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2011

May 11, 2012 12:50 as a reply to  @ Virto's post |  #18

Insure it...then drop it.

My iPhone didnt survive a dunking in the sea, and was corroded within 48 hours. Camera internals would be riddled with cancer by now.

Angryman Photography & Design (external link)

WilliamC
41 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 11, 2012 13:10 |  #19

From the second it hit the water it belonged to your insurance company, not you. It is insured for accidental damage of course.....

William
EOS 7D, EF 400mm f/4 DO, EF 70-300L, Sigma 17-70 OS 2.8-4, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon 60mm macro

seall
560 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Mar 2012

May 11, 2012 13:18 as a reply to  @ WilliamC's post |  #20

Salt water dunking after time to dry, Casio:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,613 posts
Joined May 2003

May 11, 2012 13:20 |  #21

If the camera is less than 2 years old, you might check how you paid for it. Some credit cards cover items beyond the manufacturers warranty, usually a year. Depends on the card, and even if some coverage is offered it varies company to company.

As others have said, trying to save this camera is a wasted effort with the salt water. In days of long ago, when a 35mm got dunked in salt water they told you to immediately get it into fresh water (on purpose) and actually take it to the camera shop while immersed. I once dunked a Kodak Retina and didn't have the luxury of fresh water and could actually watch the leaf shutter rust. In a matter of minutes it the leafs were fused due to rust.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 11, 2012 13:46 |  #22

my guess is it's toast. it's unfortunate, but these things happen.

dexy101
Goldmember
2,338 posts
Gallery: 91 photos
Joined Jan 2011

May 11, 2012 13:53 |  #23

rick_reno wrote in post #14416756 (external link)
my guess is it's toast. it's unfortunate, but these things happen.

Just once, cant you capatalise your first letter of a sentence. :p

As for the camera, id say its a no go now. Salt water kills most things.

Perfect_10
Goldmember
1,998 posts
Joined Aug 2004

May 11, 2012 23:40 as a reply to  @ dexy101's post |  #24

1 - If it's insured make a claim. Send it to Canon and get an estimate (they will write it off as uneconomical to repair).
2 - If it's not insured, just carry on using it until it dies, then replace it.

You may well be lucky and it hasn't taken in water and will continue to work .. I have my fingers crossed for you.

My Gear List  :p

squashed
Goldmember
4,018 posts
Gallery: 62 photos
Joined Oct 2006

May 12, 2012 00:03 |  #25

dexy101 wrote in post #14416787 (external link)

If he did that, it would take him three weeks to get to 30,000 posts. Way too long !!

1D MK IV Sony A7 III EOS R
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,641 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 12, 2012 00:41 |  #26

nope, can't do that, shift key no workie

Bblens
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined May 2012

May 12, 2012 00:52 as a reply to  @ rick_reno's post |  #27

Thanks so much guys the replies....it's sounds like it's not going to recover, but at least Trying doesn't hurt.

I took a wet q tip and soaked in as much water inside the camera as much as possible. I feel weird about dunking my camera in water...but i may try it as a last resort.

I couldn't get a hold of silica packages so i actually just ended up getting some free rice...traveling abroad at the moment.

I'm going to try again in a couple days to turn it on, but it was off when i slipped, and None of the buttons or switches seemed to have shown that much sign of salt water damage, as in being stuck from the dry salt...

Thanks again though and i ll let you know it goes in a couple days!

madjack
Goldmember
1,391 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 12, 2012 01:03 |  #28

HMMM! A spelling moderator.

www.pva.org (external link)

Mark ­ II
Goldmember
2,153 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 12, 2012 01:21 |  #29

It's done! ... sorry. I recently drowned one myself while scuba diving.

If you have insurance (I hope you do), dont claim to have made $$$ off of your gear! There are two different policies - one for pros & one for hobbyists.

Everyone should have some type of insurance. Its too much to loose otherwise.

IF there is any hope, I wouldnt put power to the circuits until at least a month of drying. If its still wet, you just blew your only chance ... food for thought.

1DX7D - 40D IR converted Sony RX100,
Canon 85 L II, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, EF 24-105L, 16-35mm f/2.8 II L, 100L & 60mm Macro , Fisheye EF 15mm f2.8, Tokina 10-17

Umeflippen
40 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 12, 2012 03:10 |  #30

tagnal wrote in post #14414643 (external link)
I would take it in asap. Here is an old thread about a 1series that corroded from being under a wet cloth.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1077957

Also, if you didn't take the internal battery out, you still had power going through the circuitry and that could have shorted something out as well.

That kind of corrotion is just not possible in the way he stated it happened. Even the lables on the outside of the camera were damaged and that is not possible to with a wet cloth.

1d mark III, 5d mark II, 24-105 f/4 IS, 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, 300 f/2.8 IS, ex 1.4 mk II, ex 2.0 mk III, Gitzo 1541T + Markins Q3T.

sponsored links

9,564 views & 0 likes for this thread
WATER IMMERSION WITH MY BRAND NEW CANON EOS 7d
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.