Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 May 2012 (Thursday) 16:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pocket Wizard Question...

Hedley
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 10, 2012 16:10 |  #1

Hi all,

I've a couple of questions regarding pocket wizards, and getting started with them. I've used pw+ii transceivers before and got along fine with them. In the uk they're around £120 each right now. The pc+iii units are around the same price.
I was recently lent 6 pw multimax transceivers for a big shoot and they were great, but they're £250 a pop so a different proposition altogether....so;
In the studio I've shot tethered a lot, outside I've used various triggers but it's time to invest in the pocket wizards. Where to start?
Any reason the ii and the iii are so similar in price?
Are the the multimax really that much better?
I know their new stuff is backwards compatible so what do you reckon is best option for someone who most of the time is on location with one, maybe two off-camera 580s?

TIA

Hedley
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 11, 2012 08:10 |  #2

Anyone got any opinions...?

Johnsoir
416 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 11, 2012 08:24 |  #3

If the II's and the III's are the same price go for the III's. From what I heard surrounding the original release of the III's, they were produced with dropping the price in mind.

They seem to have a better response distance and a few other tweaks and add-ons over the II's.

The multimax only really came into it's stride when you needed all of the extra channels, either for zones or multiple photographers using different lights in the same area. Though this is now capable on the Plus III's.

If you're going to invest I would go with the III's, specially if the difference is only a few £'s.

5D MKII w/Grip, 40D w/ Grip, 400D w/ Grip, EFs 18-55mm, 17-40 F4L, 70-200 2.8 ISL, EF 75-300 III USM, EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Pentacon Six 45mm Tilt, Composer Lens Baby, 430EX, 580EXII,....and big dreams.

Hedley
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 11, 2012 19:12 |  #4

Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought/hoped. The pricing confuses me but it looks like the IIIs will be perfect. Makes no sense that the IIs are still on sale at the same price as the new model but no matter...

Johnsoir
416 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 11, 2012 23:12 |  #5

The only reason I think PW Plus II's are still in circulation is because they have yet to produce enough III's for the demand. I'm sure you will see them starting to be phased out soon.

The Multimax's may stick around as they carry capability for Delayed, second curtain, and time-lapse triggering that I don't think the III's have.

5D MKII w/Grip, 40D w/ Grip, 400D w/ Grip, EFs 18-55mm, 17-40 F4L, 70-200 2.8 ISL, EF 75-300 III USM, EF 50mm 1.8, EF 100mm 2.8 Macro, Pentacon Six 45mm Tilt, Composer Lens Baby, 430EX, 580EXII,....and big dreams.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,256 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pocket Wizard Question...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.