Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 08 May 2012 (Tuesday) 21:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.2 is Confusing

undcover
162 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 08, 2012 21:34 |  #1

I was wondering if anyone has gotten hit with cease and desist letters based on NCAA bylaw 12.5.2.2

To give some background, I've been shooting collegiate beach volleyball matches since 2009. Photos I've shot have been used for editorial use and parents have bought photos for private use as well. This year was the inaugural year of sand volleyball as an official NCAA sport. A couple of my photographer friends who have been shooting beach volleyball longer than me, shot matches earlier in the year got hit with a cease and desist letter from one of the universities.

About a month later, I shot an annual tournament (which I had shot for the past 3 years) and I figured I'd learn from their misfortune and post the gallery with the shopping cart off. I also posted a few photos to facebook which players immediately tagged and started sharing.

Within a week, I got C&D letters from 3 of the 6 universities in the tournament saying I'm in violation of NCAA bylaw 12.5.2.2 by using student-athletes to promote a commercial product. I respectfully took the gallery down and contacted 2 of the universities to learn how to make the gallery 'legit.' I told them the photos (1) weren't for sale and (2) only had my name in the watermark. I also referred them to the last sentence of the NCAA bylaw "...such steps are not required in cases in which a student-athlete’s photograph is sold by an individual or agency (e.g., private photographer, news agency) for private use."

Basically, they said the fact that the photos weren't for sale doesn't matter. I was using student-athletes to promote my business and I wasn't allowed to post photos to my website or any social media sites. That really confused me b/c that would mean virtually no one could post photos of any NCAA event. The ironic thing is that one of the schools that sent me a C&D used a bunch of my images from last year's tournament to build the team website (with my permission).

I guess no good deed goes unpunished...

SOS Photography
http://www.sos-photography.net (external link)

sponsored links
undcover
THREAD ­ STARTER
162 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 08, 2012 21:35 |  #2

Here's the full bylaw according to the 2011-2012 NCAA Division I Manual:

Use of a Student-Athlete’s Name or Picture Without Knowledge or Permission. If a student-athlete’s name or picture appears on commercial items (e.g., T-shirts, sweatshirts, serving trays, playing
cards, posters) or is used to promote a commercial product sold by an individual or agency without the student-athlete’s knowledge or permission, the student-athlete (or the institution acting on behalf of the student-athlete) is required to take steps to stop such an activity in order to retain his or her eligibility for intercollegiate athletics. Such steps are not required in cases in which a student-athlete’s photograph is sold by an individual or agency (e.g., private photographer, news agency) for private use.

SOS Photography

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,292 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 09, 2012 01:05 as a reply to  @ undcover's post |  #3

Quite clearly the staff at the universities are idiots of the first order. The above quoted clause is quite clear - it prohibits the use of images to advertise a product or service and not to the actual sale of images. It quite clearly states that you (a private individual or agency) can sell the images for private use (to the players so they can hang them on the wall) or to the press for editorial use.

It would solve a lot of similar problems if someone where to tell them to "sue me" as the institution would lose and that would stop future letters. Of course no one is going to go to court over this so the next best thing would be to contact the NCAA and get them to clarify the matter (preferably in writing).

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

CAL ­ Imagery
Goldmember
3,375 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 09, 2012 23:01 |  #4

The NCAA doesn't know the NCAA's rules.

Christian

undcover
THREAD ­ STARTER
162 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 10, 2012 12:10 |  #5

During an interview at the NCAA Final Four, the NCAA president said one of his goals was to simplify the 400+ page rule book. More power to him.

SOS Photography

qdrummer21
121 posts
Joined May 2009

May 11, 2012 09:35 |  #6

I work for a small Div III College and occasionally will take photos for our athletics department, and what I know for sure is that NO ONE seems to understand the NCAA rulebook entirely.

My personal thought on this issue would be the following..

The NCAA probably views a publicly viewable collection of photos as part of a photographer’s portfolio and that they're making the argument that the portfolio is in part used for the marketing of the photographer’s services. A way around this could possibly be a passworded gallery that only the athletes can use to order prints.

<Shrug> Right or wrong, some things are just way too complicated. OP, you're on the right track talking with the universities to work it out. There has got to be a way to sell the prints to the athletes, and the universities should be able to tell you what is a legitimate way of doing that. Contacting the NCAA itself too might not be a bad idea.

undcover
THREAD ­ STARTER
162 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 11, 2012 13:57 |  #7

If the universities told me I couldn't sell the photos, I'd completely understand that. I never thought you could sell photos of NCAA sanctioned events anyway. The problem I have is that I go to a public beach, take some photos, upload them to an online gallery and instead of looking at the photos as being editorial, I'm being treated like someone funneling millions from the universities and NCAA. And it doesn't help that I see several other sand volleyball galleries on smugmug.

SOS Photography

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 11, 2012 21:30 |  #8

I've been shooting and posting Div II for 6 years without any problems. If the tournament was an NCAA sponsored event then they usually prohibit everything except editorial use. Regular college games/events would follow the host school policy. Talk to the school SID or AD.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
5,292 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 12, 2012 06:19 |  #9

undcover wrote in post #14416808 (external link)
If the universities told me I couldn't sell the photos, I'd completely understand that.

If they did they would be wrong. The quote above from the regs clearly states that you can sell images. They NCAA just don't want the athletes likeness being used to endorse products/companies.

Dan Marchant
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

wysiwyg59
281 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 12, 2012 08:37 |  #10

NCAA IMHO is an illegal organization. They do not care about the athletes/students they care about money. I was at the Froozen Four in 2011 at the Xcel I took my 7D with 18-200 lens they let it in because it was under 6" long. We went to the Ralph in Grand Forks and they would not let my wife in with her 40D with 55-250 lens. Saw a fan in stands with a older Nikon with a bigger lens half way thru taking photos Security told him to stop. But they let it in. They do not know their own rules and how does a fan or photographer understand it.

Rick
Canon A1, 7D2, 40D, Canon G12, Sony NEX-5N
Canon 70-200 IS F2.8 L, Canon 35mm f1.4 L, EF-S 18-200mm, EF-S 10-22mm
wysiwyg@hickorytech.ne​t (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
5,292 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 12, 2012 20:15 as a reply to  @ wysiwyg59's post |  #11

How does any of what you just posted make them "illegal"?

Dan Marchant

sponsored links

3,769 views & 0 likes for this thread
NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.2 is Confusing
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.