Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 11 May 2012 (Friday) 00:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pro1 vs G9, or G11 - any comparisons? Shutter Actuation Count?

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 11, 2012 00:58 |  #1

As much as I like my G11, I find I am itching to get around some of its limitations.

I do a lot of custom shooting, bracketing for conditions etc. and I find my G11 doesn't let me do all that I want it to. Don't get me wrong, I really like it for what it is, but the tiny sensor does have limitations. And I will keep the G11 for its intended purpose, but sometimes I need a little more versatility......

DOF is nearly non existent, thats one thing I wish I could work around. The shutter lag bugs me sometimes too. And the reach is a little short for my liking.

I have been looking at the specs on a Pro1 and see that it has a larger sensor than the G9 or G11. I know the Pro1 is old and outdated, but it seems to still be a pretty good camera. I can't afford a G1X right now but thought a used Pro1 might offer some things my G11 doesn't.

I actually bought a used Pro1 yesterday to play with and compare. Got a great deal on it.

Have any of you Pro1 owners out there had a G series as well? Do you have any picture and camera usage comparisons to see side by side how the Pro1 stands up to the G9 & 11? I use G9 & G11 because I have owned both of those.

And one last thing - I know how to do a "shutter actuation" count on the G9 and G11. I tried the same process with the Pro1 and it doesn't work.

Does anyone know how to do a total picture count on the camera?

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

sponsored links
Luckypenguin
612 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 11, 2012 02:01 |  #2

Well I never...I always thought the Pro1 had a 1/1.7" sensor like the G series cameras, but it would appear that it's sensor is indeed (very slightly) bigger at 2/3".

Nic - flickr photostream (external link)
G1X (last Canon standing)

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 12, 2012 02:06 as a reply to  @ Luckypenguin's post |  #3

Oh well,
I thought maybe someone would have some thoughts on this......

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

scrumpy
Goldmember
3,664 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 12, 2012 05:21 |  #4

I had a Pro 1 and wish I had never sold it. Try it in Macro mode, it will amaze you :D

David: Canon EOS 400D - Canon EF70-300mm f/4-55.6 IS USM -Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 DC Macro - Sigma 50-500 'Bigma' - Speedlite 580EX 11 - Better Beamer
Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy ;)

chtgrubbs
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Jul 2003

May 12, 2012 12:13 |  #5

I have both the Pro1 and a G10. Although the G10 is a 14mp sensor and the Pro1 is an 8mp sensor I would say the print quality up to 11x14 inches is pretty much dead even. I don't have any direct comparisons to show; my daughter now has the Pro1 as her first serious camera. My impression is that the Pro1 has a better density range than the G10, but your G11 is better than the G10 so the G11 and Pro1 should be comparable.

If you want to move up the food chain from these cameras you might want to consider a Micro 4/3 camera. A Lumix G3 has become my best alternative to my DSLR camera.

steve40
188 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 12, 2012 13:12 |  #6

Well - for my 2ยข worth. First of all, a cameras ability's do not come from the sensor alone; but from the sensor + the processor. From examples I have seen on the internet, the G11/12 hands down will beat the Pro1 in high noise ISO performance, having less visible noise. One reviewer comments on visible noise @ ISO 100, I whole heartedly have to agree.
You do not move forward by stepping back one step, but by stepping up. Had the Pro1 been better, there would have never been a G series camera at all. Sensor technology has also improved, yesterdays 1/7 - 2/3 is not todays 1/7. But technology moves right along, and old cameras become great collectable's.

Before stepping off the curb, look at the traffic. Before buying an old camera, do some reviewing. There are still some reviews hanging around out there; you know. :)

Steve40.
http://steveslandscape​s.50webs.com (external link)
Cameras: Canon G12, SX150 is, & A1200.
Darkroom & Printer: PhotoShop Elements 9, Canon Pixma iX6520.
Tripods: Manfrotto 190XPROB & Giottos MT 9251 + Several Heads.

chtgrubbs
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Jul 2003

May 15, 2012 10:40 |  #7

The G series actually preceded the the Pro1 by several iterations. I believe the Pro was introduced about the same time as the G4 or 5. It was a significant step up from the G series of the day. It had an electronic viewfinder instead of the optical tunnel finder and a better lens with longer reach. The Pro1 was actually a mirrorless SLR, which seems to be the hot item these days. It was ahead of its time.

I can't remember any issues with noise at ISO100 with images which were properly exposed. High ISO noise was not very good, but given the pixel density I don't believe it was any worse than other small sensor cameras of its day. I can't comment about the processor, because I shoot RAW, but there is no significant noise visible in any of the 11x14 or 13x19 prints I have made from its files

sponsored links

3,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pro1 vs G9, or G11 - any comparisons? Shutter Actuation Count?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.