Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 01 May 2012 (Tuesday) 02:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

eBay scams from buyers?

leonintoronto
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 01, 2012 02:58 |  #1

Hey,

I'm trying to sell a new 5dmk2 locally in Toronto, Canada, but not having too much luck so far using cg/kj. I may have to resort to ebay, but was wondering how prevalent the buyer scams are. I heard people will buy the body, use it for a month, then return it saying something is wrong. Paypal will invariably side with the buyer and I'm screwed by getting back a body that had 0 actuations to one with hundreds/thousand. If I do go eBay route, I'll sell to Canada only to avoid customs/taxes complaints.

Am I being paranoid?

Thanks

sponsored links
moose10101
registered smartass
1,586 posts
Joined May 2010

May 01, 2012 09:09 |  #2

If you have no selling history on eBay, and then try to sell an expensive camera, you may as well wear a shirt with a bullseye on the back. You'll get Nigerian scammers who will send you a fake PayPal email telling you that you'll get your money after you ship, or a "buyer" who sends you a counterfeit money order, or one who'll file a "Not Received" claim if you forget to get Signature Confirmation. Or maybe they'll just swap their broken camera for your new one.

And no, I'm not exaggerating. People make a living looking for inexperienced sellers who list expensive items.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 01, 2012 09:37 |  #3

what is cg/kj? (craigslist?). did you try listing it here?

leonintoronto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 01, 2012 15:45 |  #4

moose10101 wrote in post #14359631 (external link)
If you have no selling history on eBay, and then try to sell an expensive camera, you may as well wear a shirt with a bullseye on the back. You'll get Nigerian scammers who will send you a fake PayPal email telling you that you'll get your money after you ship, or a "buyer" who sends you a counterfeit money order, or one who'll file a "Not Received" claim if you forget to get Signature Confirmation. Or maybe they'll just swap their broken camera for your new one.

And no, I'm not exaggerating. People make a living looking for inexperienced sellers who list expensive items.

Well, I don't have much of a history selling items, mostly buying. But I was going to cover the basics like delivery confirmation/signature​, and fully insured. Put a picture of the serial number only showing the last 5 digits so they can't replace it. But I guess if they claim the box didn't have a camera but something else, I'm still screwed.

rick_reno wrote in post #14359792 (external link)
what is cg/kj? (craigslist?). did you try listing it here?

Craigslist and Kijiji. Kijiji is the big local market place in Canada now. It has a much better user experience than CL, although CL is great for its simplicity.

I guess I'll just keep dropping the price until I get a local seller. Already down to 1950 for a new 5dmk2 which I figure is pretty good for Canada, but no biters. Used with no warranty on POTN and eBay can reach 1800.

I'd post here, but I don't have the requisite 30 posts.. haha. I run my own business and photography is really a casual hobby on the side when I have time. I bought the 5d2 kit on sale from beachcamera when it was for sale at 2449. But I already have a 60D + T3i (gf's) and lenses that cover the typical range for crop. Impulse buy I'm hoping to turn into a slight profit.

Thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it. Especially if it was likely I'd get burned!

klr.b
Goldmember
2,509 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 01, 2012 16:19 |  #5

Keep dropping the price on Craigslist and Kijiji. If you list on Ebay, you'll get hit with fees from both Ebay and Paypal. No Reserve auctions get more action, but then you run the risk of not getting what you want for your camera (and they'll still deduct all the fees). I don't list any big ticket items on Ebay. It's just not worth it.

gordon
Gear and Feedback

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 01, 2012 16:23 |  #6

Sell it, then transfer the money to your bank and then close your paypal account.

Or have a bank account only for paypal and just keep like $20 in it and transfer everything else to a different account. They can't take what isn't there.

Gear List

leonintoronto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 08, 2012 11:42 |  #7

Just an update. I managed to sell 2 new 5d2 bodies for $1,949 locally through kijiji (similar to craigslist).

So, for those aren't in a rush to sell, hold firm to a decent price and you'll find buyers. I sold both within 24 hours (meet up over 2 days, but firm offers in same day).

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 12, 2012 06:39 |  #8

Um, not to bring up math or anything, but how is buying it for 2,449 and selling it for 1,950 a "slight profit"? Keep making profits like that, and you'll be in a soup line before too long.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

finalwish
68 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 12, 2012 08:46 |  #9

gibbit1 wrote in post #14420040 (external link)
Um, not to bring up math or anything, but how is buying it for 2,449 and selling it for 1,950 a "slight profit"? Keep making profits like that, and you'll be in a soup line before too long.

I think he bought the kit for 2449, and sold camera for 1950. He still has the lens to sell for the profit.

5Dmkiii | 24-105mm f4 L | 135mm f2 L | 70-200mm mkII L | 680EX-RT

gibbit1
Goldmember
1,658 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 13, 2012 06:51 |  #10

finalwish wrote in post #14420337 (external link)
I think he bought the kit for 2449, and sold camera for 1950. He still has the lens to sell for the profit.

Ah, okay. I missed that.

As others have said, I'd avoid ebay at this point. I've been cheated once by a buyer who claimed he never got the package. Even though I used delivery confirmation through the Post Office, PayPal sided with the buyer. Fortunately, it was only a used video game, and I was only out $15.00. Still, it persuaded me to stop selling on ebay. I'd never risk a $2,000.00 item.

"Everything will be alright. I'm from the government and I'm here to help."
Gear: EOS 5DMKII; EOS 400D (infrared converted); Canon 24-105mm f/4 L; Sigma 17-35mm f/2.8-4 EX; Canon 70-200mm f/4 L; Canon 135mm f/2.0 L; Pentax SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with EOS adaptor, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8; only enough knowledge to be a clear and present danger to society.
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

677 views & 0 likes for this thread
eBay scams from buyers?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.