Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Jul 2007 (Tuesday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

peleng 8mm fisheye vs sigma 8mm fisheye

Nightscape
413 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 17, 2007 14:29 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

What is the difference? Becides the sigma having AF.

Bodys: 1D classic | 20D and grip
Lenses: 70-200L | 17-55 2.8 IS| 50mm 1.4 | 18-200 OS | 10-17 fishy
Full studio setup complete with MacBook

sponsored links
angryhampster
"Got a thick monopod?"
3,860 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 17, 2007 15:54 |  #2

One is made in ex-commie Europe, one in Japan. One has a warranty (sigma), one does not. You also have to adjust aperture manually with the Peleng. If you can afford the sigma, get it.

Steve Lexa
Iowa City Wedding Photography (external link)

Tee ­ Why
"Monkey's uncle"
10,596 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jul 17, 2007 17:04 |  #3

Other than the 8mm fisheye format, they are two different lenses. I've never seen a comparison of the two, so I don't know which is optically better.

Gallery: http://tomyi.smugmug.c​om/ (external link)

Matthew ­ Hicks ­ Photography
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 24, 2009 20:27 |  #4

With this quandary, I hereby bump thee

Calgary Wedding Photography by Matthew Hicks: www.matthicksphoto.com (external link)

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 24, 2009 22:49 |  #5

I own a Peleng 8mm and have shot a ton with it. Back in the summer, on one of my trips to Yankee Stadium I rented 3 lenses I was interested in trying out for the trip.
1. Canon EF70-200mm f/4L IS USM
2. Sigma 8mm f/3.5 DG EX HSM
3. Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8

I had already been shooting with my Peleng for a couple months and wondered if it was time to do what I had originally planned to do... get the Peleng to see if I would use a FishEye enough to justify the more expensive Sigma. Both lenses have a learning curve, and I had all but mastered the Peleng at that point (one can NEVER have 100% mastery of any lens if you ask me, we are always learning), but I had found the lens's sweet spots and it became one of my favorite lenses. With the Peleng I'm able to get incredibly sharp - i.e. Zeiss sharp photos most of the time. So, I was wondering if now that I found I really liked shooting with the 8mm circular fisheye if in fact it was time to upgrade, so I rented the Siggy.

I started doing some tests with the lens around the house with the camera mounted on a tripod and the same subject matter being used to test the two lenses side-by-side.

Here's what I found...
a) The Peleng is much sharper in the center of the frame even @ f/4 and @ f/8-f/11 it wins for 95% of the frame... the area it loses to the Sigma is at the very outside of the imaging circle out by the vignetting areas. The reason for this is kind of simple, the Peleng has an adaptor, the Sigma has a native EF mount. I even swapped mounts on my Peleng (between the EOS mount - which sucks and I hate, and the M42 mount which I screw into a M42-EOS adaptor ring). This actually showed me something I had overlooked in the past, and that is that the EOS mount, which is very poorly machined actually registers the lens a bit closer so the perspective is a slight hair different, just a bit wider - but nothing worth writing home about.

b) The Sigma is sharper near the edge of the vignettes, but overall sharpness is lower.

c) The Sigma has better flare control due to more modern lens coatings. All these lenses will flare, but the Sigma controls it a bit better than the Peleng.

d) Manual focus on the Sigma is for ****! Its just AWEFUL.

e) The Peleng takes a bit figuring out if its your first manual focus lens, with a 2-stage aperature control (minimum aperature setting + diaphram control), and a focus ring that is easier to use while looking AT IT instead of looking through the viewfinder. But once you learn to approximate subject distance its sooooo easy to dial in focus. I probably miss focus less than 5% of the time now. It really is a breeze. And the manual diaphram control in Av mode is just sooooooooooooooo wonderful.

f) The Sigma doesn't focus well, at least it didn't for me.

g) The Peleng is built like a Sherman M-1 Tank... it'll never die. The Siggy is VERY plasticky by comparison. The Peleng has a cheapish lens cap that the flocking comes off of for many people and pisses them off, I've been lucky, mine is still on it.

h) Sigma has AF, Peleng does not. The ONLY instance that I would opt for the Sigma would be if you NEED AF for such a lens, in reality the DOF is so large even @ f/4 that its not really necessary - but the one instance which I would want the AF would be if I was trying to do some stuff with action sports. Skateboarding, snowboarding, etc... if you are brave enough and have faith in the subject not running into you and your gear being smashed... the AF would be useful to track the subject as he gets closer and closer to the lens.

If you check my PBase in my signature, you will find a shot taken with the Peleng. But the real story of that shot is that it was a 3-shot AEB bracket with the slowest (+2EV) bracket being 1/50, handheld, @ ISO100. I had tried the same type of shots with the Sigma and the results were not to my satisfaction. The Sigma just isn't as sharp as the Peleng.

I can honestly say after shooting with both that the Peleng is the BETTER lens.
It takes more getting used to, that is a given. But the rewards are worth the effort.

Unless you want to have extreme sports kids flying into you and thats what you want the lens for... don't buy the Sigma, buy the Peleng.

-Alan

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

nureality
Goldmember
3,611 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 25, 2009 15:23 |  #6

angryhampster wrote in post #3562066 (external link)
One is made in ex-commie Europe, one in Japan. One has a warranty (sigma), one does not. You also have to adjust aperture manually with the Peleng. If you can afford the sigma, get it.

Have you ever shot with either lens? You're talking out of your ass.

Alan "NuReality" Fronshtein
Gear List | PBase |  (external link)flickr (external link)
Lots of Fun, Lots of Laughs, Happy Trigger Finger!

whirligig
280 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 12, 2012 17:31 |  #7

many years later... thanks for this input!

sponsored links

8,393 views & 0 likes for this thread
peleng 8mm fisheye vs sigma 8mm fisheye
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.