Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 13 May 2012 (Sunday) 14:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Contemporary photography?

ernestoqr
426 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 13, 2012 14:16 |  #1

Hi guys
I just went to a couple photo galleries in Miami.(1st time there) I just wanted to see what people are buying and what they exposed and got out there completely surprised-embarrassed?- Idontkowwhatsgoigon-and many other many other things that really tell me that some of us (because I am sure I am not the only one) are losing what people wants( at least those who buy art.
well , the expo was about when a boy becomes a man( good theme) but most of the photo were very very bad. A couple of the pics were completely underxpose and w/o contrast othe was just a snap shot of water and other were very over exposed ( white clipping affecting the even the subject) and they were sellin for more that 1200 USD and some were sold already.
I definitely start to think That me ( which don't consider myself a pro or even a good photog) but some of you do are indeed awesome photog sometime want to achieve such a perfection and we are losing what people want( is the case that you want to sale art). I am not saying to stop perfecting your photo but just saying that people( with money) sometime dont want a perfect pic they just want to pay alot of money and to show it later.
I just found this comment from somebody else "Rule #1 to selling art: Price it high, and they will buy."
It seems its true..... and it works
if want to check what I am talking about go here
http://www.dinamitrani​gallery.com/current_ex​hibits.asp (external link)

sponsored links
Frugal
784 posts
Joined May 2009

May 13, 2012 14:32 |  #2

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Some people buy art photographs that do nothing for me and do not technically follow the rules of exposure. But that doesn't mean one can shoot crappy pictures and put a 2K price tag on them and people flock to your door. The art market is saturated with so many competent photographers that it's not a market that i'd go for.

Richard
Gear

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 13, 2012 15:00 |  #3

Art is all about hype. It has nothing to do with quality.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
36,754 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2007

May 13, 2012 15:02 as a reply to  @ Frugal's post |  #4

Just remember this, galleries are not the best place to see what is good. They need to keep the walls filled with work and many are taking chances with different artists for hopefully a big pay off. Also just because theres a price tag doesn't mean its the price being paid or if its selling at all. Galleries have to put a price that you might not understand because the cost of matting and framing can be pricey especially at larger than 16 X 20. Then the gallery gets half in a lot of cases, so for the artist to make any money at all he/she needs to get a certain payoff.

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,933 posts
Gallery: 146 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

May 13, 2012 16:48 |  #5

airfrogusmc wrote in post #14425722 (external link)
Just remember this, galleries are not the best place to see what is good. They need to keep the walls filled with work and many are taking chances with different artists for hopefully a big pay off. Also just because theres a price tag doesn't mean its the price being paid or if its selling at all. Galleries have to put a price that you might not understand because the cost of matting and framing can be pricey especially at larger than 16 X 20. Then the gallery gets half in a lot of cases, so for the artist to make any money at all he/she needs to get a certain payoff.

Couldn't say better.

plus - it's not only about perfect [I mean "standard" here] quality or following the rules of achieving said quality.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

tomj
657 posts
Joined May 2010

May 14, 2012 08:27 |  #6

A lot of successful "artists" in many fields have been able to make a strong connection with a wide audience, even though the technical merits of their work may be legitimately criticized. Bob Dylan, Grandma Moses, Jackson Pollack... they've been able express themselves in a way that touches a large audience.

That said, I'm with the OP on this - I just don't get a lot of the "art" photography I see.

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
Contemporary photography?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.