Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 13 May 2012 (Sunday) 19:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

S-100 Phantom Feature

MikeA01730
62 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 13, 2012 19:03 |  #1

Hi,

I just bought an S-100 and have been fooling around with it to figure out how it works. A few days ago I found a feature that I thought was neat, but later when I tried to use it didn't seem to be there so I thought I just made a mistake. But yesterday it was back again so I wrote it down to remember it. Today when I try to use it it isn't there again.

Here's the feature. Start in mode Tv, Ring Func button set to Std, in shooting mode. I turn the ring a bit and see the Tv scale. I then press & release Ring Func and nothing on the screen changes (no menu appears), but when I then use the ring I see a two level scale, with both the Tv and Av and scales shown one over the other and updated as the ring is moved. When the feature isn't there pressing Ring Func displays the menu that sets the effect of moving the ring. I also observed this feature in Av and P mode.

I realize that this could easily be user error and that I'm doing something differently to make the feature appear or disappear, but I've tried a bunch of things and when the feature isn't the nothing seems to bring it back. I couldn't find anything in the manual.

I really liked the display of both Av & Tv, and would like to know how to invoke it. Does anyone have any idea how to make this happen?

Thanks,
Mike

sponsored links
lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 13, 2012 19:39 |  #2

Sounds like Program Shift. Are the shutter and aperture changing such that the effect on exposure is constant? (Example: shutter speed changes to half, aperture doubles). I don't know the S100 specifically, but usually you get to Program Shift in Av, Tv, or P modes when using Auto Exposure Lock (AE Lock).

MikeA01730
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 14, 2012 09:16 as a reply to  @ lar55's post |  #3

lar55,

Thanks for your help.

You're correct that I can get the display of both aperture and time value, as I saw before, by using AE Lock in Av, Tv, or P mode. The display acts just as you say: as you raise one value the other changes to keep the exposure constant.

I don't know why Canon doesn't just replace the normal single value display with the dual display. It's really convenient to see both values whether you're in Av, Tv, or P mode.

Even though using AE Lock gets the dual display I got, that's not what I did before. I never tried AE Lock before because I find it really clumsy and hard to do. And more importantly, when I could get the dual display I did it by pressing the Ring Func button, not with AE Lock. There must be some other situation which changes the operation of the Ring Func button to make it invoke the dual display.

Any other ideas what might make Ring Func trigger the dual display?

Thanks,
Mike

muusers
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined Sep 2009

May 14, 2012 09:52 |  #4

I cant seem to trigger it...

50D + 17-55 | s100 | flickr (external link)

LincsRP
427 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

May 14, 2012 09:59 as a reply to  @ MikeA01730's post |  #5

As is typical in modern kit different buttons do different things in different modes.

Page 122 of the user guide will save a lot of typing here however, it does take a bit of reading before it clicks, so to speak!

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

LincsRP
427 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 14, 2012 10:07 as a reply to  @ LincsRP's post |  #6

I've got 'ring funct' button to AEL (exposure lock)that brings up the dual display with an asterisk next to the left side and you can alter the AV/TV but exposure remains locked until you either take a picture or press another button like menu or function button.

Steve

MikeA01730
THREAD ­ STARTER
62 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 14, 2012 20:16 as a reply to  @ LincsRP's post |  #7

LincsRP,

I think you figured it out. I must have set the Ring Func to AEL when I was trying things out and didn't notice. Also I hadn't noticed that the * was visible before.

Thanks for figuring this out. Now I have to decide if I want to use it.

Regards,
Mike

LincsRP
427 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 15, 2012 05:01 |  #8

MikeA01730 wrote in post #14432122 (external link)
LincsRP,

I think you figured it out. I must have set the Ring Func to AEL when I was trying things out and didn't notice. Also I hadn't noticed that the * was visible before.

Thanks for figuring this out. Now I have to decide if I want to use it.

Regards,
Mike

I think with the availability of M mode it might seem unnecessary, however, for quick point and shoot snaps it allows choice of greater/lesser depth of field or faster shutter speed for action. Suppose it depends what you want at the time.

There sure is lots to remember!

Steve

EowynCarter
33 posts
Joined Feb 2012

May 15, 2012 06:07 |  #9

I found that book to be rather extensive in detailing all the S-100's features.
Paper book is expensive for what it is, but the e-book is affordable.

http://www.amazon.com …erShot-S100/dp/1937986020 (external link)

LincsRP
427 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 15, 2012 06:55 |  #10

EowynCarter wrote in post #14433912 (external link)
I found that book to be rather extensive in detailing all the S-100's features.
Paper book is expensive for what it is, but the e-book is affordable.

http://www.amazon.com …erShot-S100/dp/1937986020 (external link)

I found the full manual on the CD that accompanied the little S100. Unfortunately I now no longer remember how these things work unless I've physically used the settings.

Many a time I now look blank at the back and think 'ok, how the hell do I ...'

:lol:

Steve

sponsored links

1,920 views & 0 likes for this thread
S-100 Phantom Feature
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.