Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Feb 2011 (Tuesday) 18:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Rate the Photo Above You

b-rice
253 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 12, 2012 08:53 |  #4681

I like the feel of this one. The vignetting adds to that. I think it looks a little green though. May just be your choice of pp. 8.5/10

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

sponsored links
samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 12, 2012 10:02 |  #4682

Bond_Savingsbond wrote in post #14420190 (external link)
My eyes are drawn to the red fringe/shadow on her neck which makes my eyes wander a bit. Her hair on the left side of the picture makes me wonder if that hair is part of the background or actually hers.

5/10

Thanks Bond_Savingsbond.
I could never pay attention to that red light as I knew the source of stage light unconsciously so would pass it. Yes that is why you need to see what others see. That is a valid observation. Well done critique.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

stoplight
25 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 12, 2012 10:48 as a reply to  @ samsen's post |  #4683

ooops....to be honest not exactly sure what you were going for, lighting, texture etc. I find myself just staring at the brown stuff wondering what it is. 5/10
Tightly cropped but was going for a certain look and feel. Interested in the good and bad..thanks

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 12, 2012 12:10 |  #4684

/\ To be in compliance with the theme of forum, Please rate the picture above you and someone with rate yours too.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

RishabhSood
447 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 12, 2012 17:02 |  #4685

stoplight wrote in post #14420768 (external link)
ooops....to be honest not exactly sure what you were going for, lighting, texture etc. I find myself just staring at the brown stuff wondering what it is. 5/10
Tightly cropped but was going for a certain look and feel. Interested in the good and bad..thanks

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by stoplight in
./showthread.php?p=144​20768&i=i245994558
forum: Critique Corner

5/10 Not sharp at all, I'd have loved to see the ball somewhere in the frame, Should have used faster shutter speed too.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

New Delhi Wedding Photographer (external link) | Destination Wedding Photographer India (external link) | Destination Wedding Photographer (external link)

Bond_Savingsbond
893 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 13, 2012 02:42 |  #4686

RishabhSood wrote in post #14421916 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Looks like you were forced to shoot as wide as you could for this photo. I say that because the guys face is out of focus, but it looks like a nice moment. My eyes should be drawn to the lovely lady but it's not. Don't be afraid to push the ISO to your camera's limit. 6.5/10

I need harsh criticism for this picture please.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

500px (external link)
My website (external link)
CAMTOGRAPHY (external link)
Fuji X-T2, xf18-55, Samyang 135 (heavy), Nikon 105(dirty), Vivitar 75-205, Helios 56(Fixed),Pentax 50 F1.9 (dirty)

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 13, 2012 11:37 |  #4687

Bond_Savingsbond wrote in post #14423737 (external link)
Looks like you were forced to shoot as wide as you could for this photo. I say that because the guys face is out of focus, but it looks like a nice moment. My eyes should be drawn to the lovely lady but it's not. Don't be afraid to push the ISO to your camera's limit. 6.5/10

I need harsh criticism for this picture please.

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

4/10 And I have been mean apart from Harsh.
Nice try and fun image but some major flaws:
- Look at the shadow of building in back ground (Angulated ie. early / late hours of AM/PM) then look at made up shadow of girl; Right under here ie. mid noon shadow. So post processing calls for not being real.
- Similarly if she was to shoot in that environment with given sun's angle, you would expect more direct sun over her face and body and not the type of through transmission of light from her hair and her bodies underside shadow. They don't go together.
- Theme of image and surrounding does not make a harmonious coexistence.
- Everything is unusual but this can't explain why the horizon should be tilted 2 degree CCW.
- When you are good with pp, why not to reproduce her foot too so to give a total sense of flow in air.
- Shift of color calls for a very special mood such as fashion image but definitely not goes with a fun image unless this is in a context of several other images that because I don't see them, miss something.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

Bend ­ The ­ Light
Cream of the Crop
6,098 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 13, 2012 11:55 |  #4688

Samsen, you need to post your image for crit!

:)

Bond_Savingsbond
893 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 13, 2012 19:52 |  #4689

samsen wrote in post #14424944 (external link)
4/10 And I have been mean apart from Harsh.
Nice try and fun image but some major flaws:
- Look at the shadow of building in back ground (Angulated ie. early / late hours of AM/PM) then look at made up shadow of girl; Right under here ie. mid noon shadow. So post processing calls for not being real.
- Similarly if she was to shoot in that environment with given sun's angle, you would expect more direct sun over her face and body and not the type of through transmission of light from her hair and her bodies underside shadow. They don't go together.
- Theme of image and surrounding does not make a harmonious coexistence.
- Everything is unusual but this can't explain why the horizon should be tilted 2 degree CCW.
- When you are good with pp, why not to reproduce her foot too so to give a total sense of flow in air.
- Shift of color calls for a very special mood such as fashion image but definitely not goes with a fun image unless this is in a context of several other images that because I don't see them, miss something.

Bend The Light wrote in post #14425009 (external link)
Samsen, you need to post your image for crit!

:)

It's all good, I've been waiting all day for someone to tell me what's wrong with this picture.

I should have taken more time when taking this picture. I didn't realize I clipped her leg until it was too late.

The shadow, except for around her bum is from the original image which I hated from the start. Next time I will try on a flat surface. I was looking through some floating/levitation pictures this morning and noticed that a majority of them have no shadows on the ground.

You are totally correct about her face now that I look at it. I had her friend hold a reflector over her to try and blow her hair about. I didn't know it would cast a bad shadow like that.

This is what I'm looking for, thank you :)

500px (external link)
My website (external link)
CAMTOGRAPHY (external link)
Fuji X-T2, xf18-55, Samyang 135 (heavy), Nikon 105(dirty), Vivitar 75-205, Helios 56(Fixed),Pentax 50 F1.9 (dirty)

kaptnkain
985 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Nov 2010

May 13, 2012 20:24 |  #4690

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5160/7156668844_a1e6a606a4_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kaptnkain/71566​68844/  (external link)
You and I (external link) by Ilya Cherkasov (external link), on Flickr

Not 100% happy with the PP, but meh.

- Ilya
flickr (external link)

RishabhSood
447 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 14, 2012 02:54 |  #4691

kaptnkain wrote in post #14426842 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/kaptnkain/71566​68844/  (external link)
You and I (external link) by Ilya Cherkasov (external link), on Flickr

Not 100% happy with the PP, but meh.

7/10 I like the lighting but I think the processing thought be better, and a little tighter crop.

IMAGE: http://i47.tinypic.com/2wrqo9l.jpg

New Delhi Wedding Photographer (external link) | Destination Wedding Photographer India (external link) | Destination Wedding Photographer (external link)

J.Wolfe
647 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 14, 2012 11:33 |  #4692

atmosphere and the sharpness/clarity are probably your strongest points in this shot. The beam of light is distracting, the shadows that are on his face are distracting, and the angle you shot is not all that pleasant, expecting to see a large crowd but instead seeing an odd bar setup and people very far away. 6/10

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7219/7166122174_4d51eb2f4f_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/philakilla/7166​122174/  (external link)
No Looking Back (external link) by Justin Wolfe (external link), on Flickr

Hi, I'm Justin
~ Argus C3
~ Konica C35
~ Canon T2i
My Flickr (external link)

jerefish
Goldmember
1,003 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 14, 2012 12:09 |  #4693

I really enjoy the colors, the correct exposure and the leading lines. You did well with this image. The only thing I would like to see different would be to see the top of the building at the end there, but that may make it a whole different picture. Nice work 9/10.

Day 184 of 365 - Julianne gets a new hairstyle

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7090/7192860178_42f53fbbd6_c.jpg

Jeremy or jfish works
Canon 7d | 70-200 F/4 L
| 28-70mm f/2.8 L
Flickr (external link) | Website (external link) | Julianne Grace 365

Bend ­ The ­ Light
Cream of the Crop
6,098 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 14, 2012 12:26 |  #4694

Lovely shot of Julianne...only thing bothering me is the overly yellow colour...But this makes a fabulour hi key mono shot...7/10

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7225/7188371544_2e44b41c3d_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …end_the_light/7​188371544/  (external link)
13-5-2012 Starling Bath (external link) by http://bendthelight.me​.uk (external link), on Flickr

Lakhum
253 posts
Joined May 2011

May 14, 2012 14:44 |  #4695

Like the mood and feel of the image. technically i would like more colours on the birds. 6/10

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5200/7163197620_63381d2551_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/karim_khan/7163​197620/  (external link)
Cadillac EXT Ex-ride (external link) by Karim-Khan (external link), on Flickr

Body; Canon 550d
Lenses; 18-55 kit lens, 50mm F1.8II, 55-250mm, 24-105L
Flash; 580ex ii, YN-465
Flickr; http://www.flickr.com/​photos/karim_khan/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,074,404 views & 341 likes for this thread
Rate the Photo Above You
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.