Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Feb 2008 (Friday) 16:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1D Mk II and Mk IIn Owners Unite! (Round 2)

Atlas ­ & ­ Elm ­ Studios
332 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 12, 2012 11:37 |  #556

something different ;)

Flickr (external link)
Fans (external link)

sponsored links
FuriousNoodle
166 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 12, 2012 15:31 |  #557

Took the 1DII out for some sports shots yesterday, they came out nice. However, I have a question for those of you who do sports with this body. There is a custom function (cant recall the name) that puts shutter priority over auto focus, so that even if focus isn't locked on to anything it will still take the shot. I thought this would be beneficial, however I found I had a lot of out of focus shots, and I'm thinking maybe I should turn off the C.Fn?

IMAGE: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60942779/volleyball/087.jpg

1DII, 5DIII, 300/4L, 135/2L, 40/2.8, 17-40/4L
Brian Ji Photography (external link)

TWOLITREmedia
761 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 13, 2012 12:34 |  #558

Atlas & Elm Studios wrote in post #14416035 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Nice, great use of lighting. The IQ of this cam never fails to surprise me when used properly.

Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 Grip|| Canon EOS 1DmkII||EF 28-70mm F2.8L||||EF 135mm F2L||EF 70-200 F4L||EF 20-35mm F2.8L||EF 50mm f1.4 USM || 430 EXII x2||PocketWizard TT5 System|| 
|||Emilio's Flick (external link)R|||TWO (external link)LITRE (external link)media|||

shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
10,538 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2010

May 13, 2012 12:51 |  #559

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Volcomania 2012 (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)

batt[o]
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined May 2012

May 13, 2012 15:07 |  #560

I'm getting my first 1D mark II on tuesday.
Hope everything is justs fine.

Got it for 470us$ (down here in Argentina):
-Body
-Body Cap
-Strap
-1 Original Almost Dead battery
-Firewire cables
-USB cables
-Video cables
-Charger

Already bought a 2200mah generic battery from HK.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II - Canon BG-E6 - Canon EOS 7D - Canon EOS T1i - Canon BG-E5 - Canon EF 18-55mm IS - Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L USM - Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm F1.8 - Canon Speedlite 580EX II - Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb - LowePro DryZone 200

Atlas ­ & ­ Elm ­ Studios
332 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 13, 2012 15:57 |  #561

TWOLITREmedia wrote in post #14425184 (external link)
Nice, great use of lighting. The IQ of this cam never fails to surprise me when used properly.

Thank you :)

Flickr (external link)
Fans (external link)

shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
10,538 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 11
Joined Sep 2010

May 13, 2012 19:59 |  #562

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1177.photobuck​et.com …/patrickf117/_B​1B5882.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)

vince_ross
350 posts
Joined Oct 2004

May 13, 2012 20:48 |  #563

FuriousNoodle wrote in post #14421660 (external link)
Took the 1DII out for some sports shots yesterday, they came out nice. However, I have a question for those of you who do sports with this body. There is a custom function (cant recall the name) that puts shutter priority over auto focus, so that even if focus isn't locked on to anything it will still take the shot. I thought this would be beneficial, however I found I had a lot of out of focus shots, and I'm thinking maybe I should turn off the C.Fn?

I think the C.Fn you are talking about is C.Fn 21 (Drive speed priority AI Servo)?
Before disabling that function, try changing the tracking sensitivity in C.Fn 20. Usually if it's quick to change its lock, back the sensitivity off one notch (ie. Moderately slow instead of Standard). If you do that, it won't be so quick to change its lock on a subject. See if that works.

www.ohiovalleyphoto.ne​t (external link)

batt[o]
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined May 2012

May 14, 2012 13:28 |  #564

Tomorrow I'm getting my first 1D Mark II, great. I'm very excited about it.
What should I look for? Check for? Expect for?

Canon EOS 5D Mark II - Canon BG-E6 - Canon EOS 7D - Canon EOS T1i - Canon BG-E5 - Canon EF 18-55mm IS - Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L USM - Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM - Canon EF 50mm F1.8 - Canon Speedlite 580EX II - Sandisk Extreme III 4Gb - LowePro DryZone 200

vince_ross
350 posts
Joined Oct 2004

May 14, 2012 15:22 |  #565

batt[o wrote:
='batt[o];14430304']To​morrow I'm getting my first 1D Mark II, great. I'm very excited about it.
What should I look for? Check for? Expect for?

Are you buying from an individual or a store? I'd take a lens if you are going to pick it up and check exposure accuracy, fire off a few bursts at high speed to make sure that works. If it's bright out, set it to 1/8000 and take a pic to see if you have any bands across the screen. Basically, just play around with it for a little while to see if everything works.
Either way individual or store, if they're honest, you shouldn't have a problem.

You are getting a great camera! Enjoy! :D

www.ohiovalleyphoto.ne​t (external link)

batt[o]
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined May 2012

May 14, 2012 15:31 |  #566

vince_ross wrote in post #14430858 (external link)
Are you buying from an individual or a store? I'd take a lens if you are going to pick it up and check exposure accuracy, fire off a few bursts at high speed to make sure that works. If it's bright out, set it to 1/8000 and take a pic to see if you have any bands across the screen. Basically, just play around with it for a little while to see if everything works.
Either way individual or store, if they're honest, you shouldn't have a problem.

You are getting a great camera! Enjoy! :D

I'm buying from a particular (individual), camera is cheap (as low as 470us$ down here in Argentina) that's why I want to know what to check, shutter count is "unknown" by the owner. Who is the only previous owner.

Will check exposure, will try to burst and use high speed shutter in order to check if it's properly working.

I know I'm getting a great camera :)

ANDY1961
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined May 2012

May 15, 2012 12:47 as a reply to  @ batt[o]'s post |  #567

HI everyone,

I have a bit of a dilemma - I'm close to buying a 1D MK2, that has 93,000 clicks on it, for £350 in UK money. The camera is in good condition apart from very slight damage on the bottom corner of the body.
The current owner has had no problems with this camera.

However, I already own a 7d and it's a fantastic camera for the sports photography I do.

I have always wanted a 1d body, but this 1D MK2, that I'm looking at, is all I can afford right now.

So, how does the 1D MK2 (8mp) measure up to the 7d (18mp) when it comes to sports photography. Would I be taking a step backwards compared to the 7d? Or would the results be equal or maybe even better?

Thank you in advance!

TWOLITREmedia
761 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 15, 2012 13:31 |  #568

ANDY1961 wrote in post #14435467 (external link)
HI everyone,

I have a bit of a dilemma - I'm close to buying a 1D MK2, that has 93,000 clicks on it, for £350 in UK money. The camera is in good condition apart from very slight damage on the bottom corner of the body.
The current owner has had no problems with this camera.

However, I already own a 7d and it's a fantastic camera for the sports photography I do.

I have always wanted a 1d body, but this 1D MK2, that I'm looking at, is all I can afford right now.

So, how does the 1D MK2 (8mp) measure up to the 7d (18mp) when it comes to sports photography. Would I be taking a step backwards compared to the 7d? Or would the results be equal or maybe even better?

Thank you in advance!

In Cole's note form as per my experience having owned a 7D, selling it, getting on the full frame boat, then just grabbing the 1DmkII for more sports stuff this is how I would break it down....

IQ is actually an improvement in my opinion, I REALLY hate 1.6x sensors colour reproduction and bokeh or blur in general.

Functionality is absolutely BALLS compared to 7D, and that will be your most significant difference you will notice. Two button functions are brutal and inefficient, the LCD screen is brutal, and the menus are pretty garbage as well.

With all that being said, I would personally take the 1DmkII over 7D any day because of this reason. If you know exactly what your doing when it comes to exposure, and don't need a 3" screen to be able to tell what your image looks like, get the 1DmkII as you will in my opinion prefer IQ. If you are generally someone who likes all the fancy creature comforts of the 7D....well you'll hate the 1D.

In the end the burst rate is the same, IQ is improved, and functionality/user comfort is decreased (Although I find the actually ergonomics of the 1D much nicer even compared to my old gripped 7D)

I guess that turned into a beyond coles notes explanation, but take it how you will, and always with a grain of salt as what it comes down to the end of the day is the preference of your shooting abilities.

Canon EOS 5DmkII + BG-E6 Grip|| Canon EOS 1DmkII||EF 28-70mm F2.8L||||EF 135mm F2L||EF 70-200 F4L||EF 20-35mm F2.8L||EF 50mm f1.4 USM || 430 EXII x2||PocketWizard TT5 System|| 
|||Emilio's Flick (external link)R|||TWO (external link)LITRE (external link)media|||

batt[o]
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined May 2012

May 16, 2012 00:29 |  #569

Finally got it today.

With two batteries (1 is dead, I'm trying to refresh it)
And everything that came in the box.

Tested the burst and 1/8000 and everything seems to work just fine.

Quick Sapshot!

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7099/7207728842_5dcb511110_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …irantesonline/7​207728842/  (external link)
_MG_9572.JPG (external link) by DelirantesOnline (external link), on Flickr

I'm pretty exited about shooting with this camera.
Feels great in hand.

Just checked and it has 98k clicks on it!

Tucker29
149 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2011

May 16, 2012 09:23 |  #570

Pretty much everything i shoot is with this beast of a camera!

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7103/6889946652_941cca15dc_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …erharrisphoto/6​889946652/  (external link)
Shane 2 (external link) by TuckerHarrisPhoto (external link), on Flickr

Check out the rest of my stuff!
www.flickr.com/tuckerh​arrisphoto (external link)

Flickr!
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tuckerharrispho​to/ (external link)

sponsored links

562,039 views & 255 likes for this thread
-=1D Mk II and Mk IIn Owners Unite! (Round 2)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.