Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 09 May 2012 (Wednesday) 20:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Communion - Any suggestions?

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 13, 2012 14:10 |  #16

I think if I were to do this setup, I would have used my Cactus V5's. I would have attached one to my camera and have it fire every time I shot. On my other camera, I would have the other plugged into my off camera (40d as well). This way, every time I took a photo with my main camera, the other would take at the same time.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links
inernets
THREAD ­ STARTER
594 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 14, 2012 08:03 |  #17

THANKS BRYAN! I have been looking for something like this, that have worked perfectly for me. I will certainly pick one or two of those up, i could use it for my regular gig!

cpam.pix, here is a link of some of the photos. You can see towards the middle, 1 photo each of the communion from each side. Any suggestions or comments would be great. I will be removing the link to the photos sometime soon, if it is gone please message me and i can show you them, or i'll put up some shots without kids faces:

https://plus.google.co​m …1?authkey=CKreo​qfy0PedqgE (external link)

I was feeling creative and the first picture in the set is an image i photographed. I took the outside church shot, took the inside stained glass window shot and put them together, what do you guys think, you guys like this or should i not add this?

1D III - 1D II - 5D II - 50D - 40D - EOS M.
16-35mm, 24-105mm, 100-400mm, 40mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.0 . 1.4x III, 2x III. 270ex, 270exII, 430ex, 600ex

inernets
THREAD ­ STARTER
594 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 14, 2012 08:32 |  #18

Things i could have done better:

- Take pictures as they walked up the stairs to get ready to enter the church to start off the event
- Better positioning when entering the church.
- Decide if getting the picture of each kid bowing at the front is worth getting
- Should have took more photos from the balcony looking down, maybe just have a remote camera there
- Maybe have the remote camera a little tighter, would love opinions on this
- Should have done a better job with the group portrait outside, should have told all the kids to look at me and should have walked up to the front and took about 4-6 "group shots as i moved down the line to get the kids more focused on me and the camera.

Any other suggestions or things i could have done better?

16-35mm, 24-105mm, 100-400mm, 40mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm 2.0 . 1.4x III, 2x III. 270ex, 270exII, 430ex, 600ex

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 15, 2012 14:55 as a reply to  @ inernets's post |  #19

great lookin' set inernets!

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

inernets
THREAD ­ STARTER
594 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 10, 2013 13:59 |  #20

I'm doing this again tomorrow! Same venue, it will be interesting to see how i will handle this with 1 more year of experience, i'm a little nervous but not nearly as much as last year.

Starting to think about what i will be doing differently, thankfully i left myself some notes up there :-D

I will be shooting back to back communions so it's going to be a long day. I will be using my cactus v5 to trigger the other camera. Any final suggestions while viewing my photos from last year? These are for the church to give out to the family members i'm sure.

https://plus.google.co​m …1?authkey=CKreo​qfy0PedqgE (external link)

I'm looking back at the photos, this was one of my first events where i had to shoot groups, i'm hoping the group shots will be much better.

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

May 12, 2013 19:23 |  #21

So, how did it go? You gave us a great lessons learned analysis last year. I'm looking forward to finding out what you learned this year.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

sponsored links

4,578 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Communion - Any suggestions?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.