Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 14 May 2012 (Monday) 15:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Setting MF while on Macro mode In Sx40 Camera?

redfordl
78 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 14, 2012 15:23 |  #1

I want to set manual focus while using macro mode in the canon sx40 hs camera.How is this done? Do you set the mf mode then the macro mode or vice versa etc. Thanks for your help!

sponsored links
lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 15, 2012 20:49 |  #2

I've never used an SX40 - this is based mostly on the older SX20 - but I'll try anyway. Macro mode and manual focus seem to be mutually exclusive on these cameras. I think macro mode simply tweeks the autofocus system to focus closer. In manual focus mode, you can already focus closer - so you don't need macro mode.

So on the older SX20, if you enter Macro mode, then switch to Manual Focus (MF), it dropped out of macro mode. (The SX20 had separate controls for macro mode and MF). On the SX40 it looks Canon combined the two functions into a 3-way selection: Normal, Macro, or MF. Same effect - you are either in auto-focus macro mode, or manual focus mode.

neimad19
767 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 16, 2012 01:41 |  #3

Lar55 is right, once manual mode is selected from the macro the auto focus goes out the door and its all you. You could also download CHDK which allows you to override the subject distance and tweak the focus even more, failing that I'v bought some cheap n nasty ebay macro lenses for my sx40 and they worked alright...

redfordl
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 16, 2012 08:42 |  #4

neimad19 wrote in post #14438899 (external link)
Lar55 is right, once manual mode is selected from the macro the auto focus goes out the door and its all you. You could also download CHDK which allows you to override the subject distance and tweak the focus even more, failing that I'v bought some cheap n nasty ebay macro lenses for my sx40 and they worked alright...

Have you actually used the chdk to get better focus on macro shots and if so can you post pictures of these macros. Have you had any problems with chdk negatively effecting the function of the canon sx 40. And what else do you use chdk for on the sx40. Thanks!! (I:m a little hesitant in installing chdk)

neimad19
767 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 17, 2012 03:17 |  #5

TBH I havent used the "override subject" function on my sx to take macro so i couldnt say whether it actually is or isnt better than selecting the manual option BUT it is worth a try.

CHDK is booted via your SD card, so as soon as your sd card is removed, so is CHDK. I havent had any problems with it installed on my sd card and i cant see any reason why it would corrupt or damage your cameras software. I've used it for motion sensing, you can set a motion sensing script to capture lighting though it never storms here so im yet to test that. The intervalometer, which is simple to use and allows you to take excellent time lapse shots and my favourite, Override shutter speed, which lets you take photos @ upto 1/500 000th of a second down to 16 minutes. There are other things like override ISO, Aperture, Focus and shooting in RAW. Overall it allows you to truly harness the sx's capabilities and push its limits to the max. I would upload some photos of what it can do with the shutter speed override but im still new to this site :S

Hope that helped

neimad19
767 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 17, 2012 03:34 |  #6

I realized there was a big "manage attatchments" button right infront of my face -_-

These are images taken within 5 minutes of figuring out the use of shutter speed override with CHDK. They're water droplets out of our old scratched up sink :P

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

neimad19
767 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 17, 2012 03:35 |  #7

And the last image out of the 3

HOSTED PHOTO

neimad19
767 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 17, 2012 03:37 |  #8

They are out of focus and the lights not the best but it demostrates how much chdk lets you explore ultra fast movement.

redfordl
THREAD ­ STARTER
78 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 17, 2012 14:29 as a reply to  @ neimad19's post |  #9

what type of settings on sx40 did you have with ckdk in use to catch these droplet shots? Thanks!! good shots!!

imjason
Goldmember
1,667 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 18, 2012 00:36 |  #10

just be careful with high shutter speeds. its one of those riskier things you can do with chdk. chdk wont void your warranty, but what you do with it might. google it and you will find that some ppl have broken their cameras cuz they thought it was a good idea to push their shutters pass 1/10,000 when the camera shutter wasnt design to do that.

Canon gear: EOS M, Canonet QL17, SX230HS, S95, SD1200IS
Non-Canon gear: D600, D5000, D70, XG-2, U20
Flickr (external link)

neimad19
767 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 19, 2012 03:23 as a reply to  @ imjason's post |  #11

Thanks for the heads up imjason, your right about the damage you could potentially do with chdk..i guess i over looked that. i still advise installing it though, the pre loaded scripts come in a ton of use. I overrided my shutter speed to 1/50,000th of a second for those shots :P and had the flash on medium. It really shows how well the flash is synced with the shutter sx40.

neimad19
767 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 19, 2012 03:28 as a reply to  @ imjason's post |  #12

Manual focus
F4
ISO100
1/50,000

Techuser
451 posts
Joined Apr 2007

May 19, 2012 13:36 |  #13

I'll chime in to say you don't need those ultra high speeds for droplets
Using flash and speeds between 1/250 and 1/500 its already enough to freeze it's movement.

Canon XSi | 18-55 IS | 50 1.8 | 70-300 IS | 300 2.8 FD
http://primalshutter.c​om (external link)

sponsored links

5,102 views & 0 likes for this thread
Setting MF while on Macro mode In Sx40 Camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.