Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 May 2012 (Tuesday) 19:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

why is there no autofocus in samyang lenses?

c2thew
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 15, 2012 19:48 |  #1

http://www.dxomark.com …n-measurements-and-review (external link)

the samyang seems to outperform the nikon 35mm 1.4G lens and also seems to be sharper then canon's 35mm 1.4L however I'm wondering why they didn't include autofocus on their lenses like tamron or sigma does. Yes their lens isn't quite a true 1.4 as it seems to be more of a 1.6 in regards to aperature and the bokeh isn't quite as smooth as canon's 35mmL but to my eyes it outperforms the nikon 35mm 1.4G.

it seems like samyang is poised to really shine, but without autofocus; using the lens for fast paced events really is out of the question. Do you think it's a logistical issue or more of a production cost issue for designing and reverse engineering the autofocus system for both nikon and canon?

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

sponsored links
sdo
208 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2006

May 15, 2012 20:49 |  #2

$$$

Looks like they put the money into the quality of the optics instead. Autofocus doesn't come for free, and apparently they decided there was a market for high quality glass w/o autofocus for a lower price.

Canon shooter (7D, 40D). Lightroom & Photoshop user.
My flickr page (external link)
Follow me on twitter (external link)

maplewoods
53 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 15, 2012 20:56 |  #3

I've thought about this before, and here's my humble opinion:

I think there's a world difference between designing MF lenses and AF ones.

Designing a lens is complicated balancing among many factors. To add AF and to make their lenses as compact as possible Canon and Nikon have to sacrifice some degree of IQ performance. Even if Samyang did managed to add AF within there lenses, they would either be much bigger or lesser in terms of IQ, and of course much more expensive.

Think it this way: Sigma is an international company that has 50 years of experience. Do you think its tech is no better than the tiny Samyang (no offense, last time I checked it has 100 some employees)? But it still can't catch up with C&N because they have to make their lenses AF and cheaper.

In a nutshell, it's a matter of both technical capability and money.

Anyway, Samyang makes cheap lenses that performs well, as long as you don't mind MF. It's a blessing for us.

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,153 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

May 15, 2012 21:21 |  #4

Reverse engineering didn't work out ;)

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

Brian_R
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 15, 2012 21:23 |  #5

you get great IQ for an excellent price. Auto focus will jack the price up more

c2thew
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,929 posts
Joined Aug 2008

May 16, 2012 02:28 as a reply to  @ Brian_R's post |  #6

samyang needs to get it together! :cool:

Flickr (external link) |Gear|The-Digital-Picture (external link)|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERN (external link) | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 16, 2012 07:15 |  #7

I could live with manual focus, if they at least picked the Zeiss approach to it (focus confirm + electronic aperture). Both manual focus AND manual aperture makes their otherwise great lenses a no-go for me. Stop down metering is very unpleasant and slows me down too much to properly use the lens at f/2.8 - f/5.6. Smaller apertures and I'm probably shooting from a tripod, bigger apertures and I can focus it stopped down eitherway.

I'm sure their sales numbers of canon mount lenses would easily triple if they gave it a "real" electromagnetic aperture and focus confirm.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

justdamnit
66 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 16, 2012 07:36 |  #8

i am on the edge of buying a samyang/rokinon 35mm f/1.4, but MF and no focus confirmation really bothers me. the nikon version of this lens are chipped and have focus confirmation, should i buy the nikon version and get a nikon to eos adopter?

shoot to please no one apart from yourself...:)
Flickr (external link)

149 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

May 16, 2012 07:43 |  #9

I own two samyang lenses, the 85mm and the 8mm. Manual focus is easy and very rewarding. I preffer good quality and low prices all the time. :D

My 500px (external link), My Flickr (external link), My Blog (external link), My Fb page (external link), My Deviant (external link), My Tumblr (external link)
|6D|85mm 1.2 II L|Samyang 14mm 2.8|50mm 1.8|

pkilla
Goldmember
2,943 posts
Joined Jan 2012

May 16, 2012 07:59 |  #10

Very good question I don't know about rokinon anymore why spend half of the money to get half the value if I'm going for a all manual lens I think I'm just going spend the big bucks for Carl Zeiss or just go all out for the L glass because later down the road your just going be itching for nothing but the best so why not save up and start early.....

T3i griped - rokinon 8mm/rokinon 35 1.4/rokinon 85mm 1.4/
sigma 17-50/nikon 50mm 1.2 ai-s/nikon 28mm ai-s 2.8/
helios 40-2/helios 44-2/mir 1b 37mm 2.8/supertak 135/
trioplan/http://www.flickr.com/​photos/pkilla617/ (external link)
CHECK OUT MY BLOG PICS http://pkilla61.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

TweakMDS
Goldmember
2,242 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 16, 2012 08:28 |  #11

justdamnit wrote in post #14439518 (external link)
i am on the edge of buying a samyang/rokinon 35mm f/1.4, but MF and no focus confirmation really bothers me. the nikon version of this lens are chipped and have focus confirmation, should i buy the nikon version and get a nikon to eos adopter?

This is a good idea, because it will actually get you focus confirm on a Canon body of with lens. You'll still have manual aperture though.

Some of my lenses focus beyond infinity...!
~Michael
Gear | Flickr (external link)
"My featured shots" (external link)

pulsar123
Goldmember
2,202 posts
Gallery: 80 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2010

May 16, 2012 13:34 |  #12

I believe both mentioned factors are at work here:

- From a lens designer perspective, adding AF can result in some IQ sacrifices. (It can happen that the best design you found is not suitable for AF because too much mass of glass needs to be moved around, so you go for your second best, or third best, or ...)
- Samyang does seem to be aiming at the niche market of both IQ and budget concious buyers.

Here is my question - will Samyang add IS (image stabilization) to their manual focus lenses? And the answer is probably "no", pretty much for the two above reasons.

6D, Tamron 24-70 f2.8 VC, 135L, 70-200 f4L, 50mm f1.8 STM, Samyang 8mm fisheye, home studio

x.pozhr
Goldmember
4,830 posts
Gallery: 324 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 16, 2012 15:41 |  #13

TweakMDS wrote in post #14439467 (external link)
I could live with manual focus, if they at least picked the Zeiss approach to it (focus confirm + electronic aperture). Both manual focus AND manual aperture makes their otherwise great lenses a no-go for me. Stop down metering is very unpleasant and slows me down too much to properly use the lens at f/2.8 - f/5.6. Smaller apertures and I'm probably shooting from a tripod, bigger apertures and I can focus it stopped down eitherway.

I'm sure their sales numbers of canon mount lenses would easily triple if they gave it a "real" electromagnetic aperture and focus confirm.

This is what I would like to see them do. Add focus confirm and electronic aperture. And I completely agree: it’s very hard or frustrating to use their lenses at wider apertures.

flickr (external link)
Gear List + Marketplace Feedback

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,913 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Joined Apr 2008

May 16, 2012 15:48 |  #14

I thought EMF AF confirm chips were like $5 on eBay now?

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

inkista
676 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 16, 2012 20:28 |  #15

TweakMDS wrote in post #14439684 (external link)
This is a good idea, because it will actually get you focus confirm on a Canon body of with lens. You'll still have manual aperture though.

Uh, no. The Canon adapter will just cover the Nikon pins/contacts, and it's not like the Nikon pins/contacts would a) fit or b) give the proper electronic communication signals to a Canon body.

Mike Deep wrote in post #14441797 (external link)
I thought EMF AF confirm chips were like $5 on eBay now?

+1. Just get an EMF chip (external link) on eBay (big_is has 'em for $10) and glue it on. AF confirm and aperture setting, as well as programmable for the max. aperture and focal length in the EXIF.

To me the obvious reasons that AF isn't included in the Samyang/Rokinon lenses are that it just makes engineering easier. No separate reverse engineering of the electronic communication systems for every. single. mount. system. you want to support--you just have to get mechanical linkage right. And you don't have to include the mechanics of a focus motor, either. So, smaller, simpler, lenses that will always be compatible. Adding more features just means more things that can wrong. When you multiply that across multiple mounts, and you're basically winning sales on low cost and high optical quality, why worry? Why compete directly with Sigma/Tamron/Tokina if you don't have to? The Samyang guys have found their niche and they're filling it very nicely.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

sponsored links

13,294 views & 0 likes for this thread
why is there no autofocus in samyang lenses?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.