Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 14 May 2012 (Monday) 17:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Website stole and edited my pic - Options?

angryman
573 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2011

May 16, 2012 10:39 as a reply to  @ post 14434602 |  #46

Follow the lead of Getty.... http://www.out-law.com/page-10367 (external link)

They won

Angryman Photography & Design (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,885 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

May 16, 2012 10:55 |  #47

CameraMan wrote in post #14438150 (external link)
Your link brings up an interesting question. How would someone make thumbnails of all of their photos to date? Say I have 2 GB of photos and I want to register them. I'm guessing Lightroom could do this with all of your photos. Just resize them to a nice small size and there you have it...

What would be a good size for thumb nails anyway?

I don't use LR, but assume that it could make a gallery with thumbs? If not, I know that PS can. Or this: JAlbum.net

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

smacatl
Goldmember
1,540 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 16, 2012 11:07 |  #48

SirStuey wrote in post #14440293 (external link)
Photo's still up as of 11:30am ET 5/16.

This would piss me off majorly. They know they're infringing and blatantly don't care and won't do anything about it. If you're not willing to bring a lawyer into the mess just yet, at least file the DMCA take-down notices ASAP.

It's down - Sir Stuey you are probably looking at a cached view of the website.

If you hit refresh on your browser it will change the image to the new image of a black Dodge Ram 1500.

Smacatl
Premier Member of the OGUS Photo Club (Over-Geared, Under-Skilled) (with Credit to our President & Founder JWCDDS)
Gear List

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 16, 2012 11:45 |  #49

Its down and I see the black Dodge Ram too. I wonder who they stole that image from?

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 16, 2012 12:06 |  #50

So far, it looks like from no one:

http://www.tineye.com …e6/?pluginver=f​irefox-1.1 (external link)

SirStuey
284 posts
Joined Jan 2009

May 16, 2012 12:55 |  #51

smacatl wrote in post #14440466 (external link)
It's down - Sir Stuey you are probably looking at a cached view of the website.

If you hit refresh on your browser it will change the image to the new image of a black Dodge Ram 1500.

Yup, looks like you're right. Hoorah!

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 16, 2012 13:16 |  #52

I don't think that would stand up, why? because i am not a US resident and will not register my images with your country's regulatory methods, but will still sue for copyright infringement if it happens.

Your images are copyrighted the moment you took them, using them without your consent can be considered copyright infringement.

Would you make money out of it without registration? Probably not, but you can still do it. Its an international thing and i wouldn't be surprised to see that "suing without registration impossible" overturned in court.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 16, 2012 16:29 |  #53

Csae wrote in post #14438970 (external link)
This sounds absolutely and completely wrong.

Actually it is correct. Copyright is a federal case. And no court will even hear a case with out registration papers. SO.. many lawyers will not take the case without them either. If they feel it is a big pay out, they will take the case. But the absolutley first thing they will do is file for copyright registration.

Registering is simply a dated proof of copyright, it is NOT copyright. You also have a certain amount of time AFTER your photo has been published to register it should you wish, this has nothing to do with the moment you took the photo.

Indeed it is dated proof. But it is also the ONLY legal form of proof of ownership that any court will accept.

Yes you can register after. But in doing so you are only entitled to actual damages. ie... what you would have charged in the first place. If you file beforehand, you can sue for fee, punitave damages, and your legal fees.

I have other proof of copyright, like maybe the original RAW file, GL producing that.

Possession of the file is not an accepted legal form of proof of ownership. This comes as a carry over from the fact that possesion of the negatives was not legal proof either.

Registering does in fact change the monetary values and the willingness of attorneys to take your case, thats entirely true.

Absolutley. Its either they get paid or not.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 16, 2012 16:35 |  #54

Csae wrote in post #14441116 (external link)
Your images are copyrighted the moment you took them, using them without your consent can be considered copyright infringement.

It definatley is! Its just with out the registration. You cant do anything about it other than make threats. An analogy I heard and like to use as I did earlier.... copyright gives you the gun to defend your stuff... But registration gives you the bullets. In other words without registering the only thing you have is to hope waving the gun intimidates them into setteling. But thoes that know better know it is only a fancy paper weight. There is nothing they can do. Till they get their bullets.

Csae
Goldmember
3,350 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 16, 2012 16:37 |  #55

Ugh, so basically you can register it anytime you want, but unless you do it before or within the timeframe allowed youre only allowed the normal fee?

Man your legal system is weird.

Now i'm curious how you apply that for people outside of your country, or is their copyright less important ? I know theres a registration process in Canada as well, but we can go to small claims court without it and possibly still win, we just have to prove beyond a doubt that we are the original creators and copyright owners. Its a bit murkier here due to the fact that without a contract a work for hire is transfer of copyright sadly. So if i shoot a wedding without a contract stating i keep my copyright, i basically transfered to you when you paid me, by default at least.

But thats another issue.

I appreciated the corrections Mark, it seems i was wrong and i'm glad your sharing the correct information.

Feel free to call me Case.
CasePhoto.ca (external link) - FanPage (external link)
-Montreal based Photography.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 16, 2012 16:45 |  #56

Yup. You can file any time though. Many do a mass filling. Say, 3 months work in one filling. It is $35 for as many as you can do. And many work never sees the light of day (other then giving it to the client) for a month or so anyway so it is a reasonable to do quarterly filings.

One more kink that sucks. You can file up to 45 days after the infringement and still get some protection. Note that I didnt say 45 days after you notice the infringement.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 16, 2012 18:46 |  #57

Doc Fluty wrote in post #14435606 (external link)
Just got off the phone with

Ryan Gronlie
Sales Manager
800.505.3274 Ext 809

and he is a dick.

basically he said its it his companies policy to search car domain or anywhere else on the web and use pictures as it sees fit.

After telling him what a dick move this is.. he hung up on me.

This is not over

I predict this ends with you earning $0 from this whole ordeal, and wasting a bunch of your time.

Good luck. I've been down a very similar road with other companies in the past, and can pretty handily identify which companies are likely to be worth your time to pursue and which ones to write off as a lesson learned. This one is likely the latter.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

Doc ­ Fluty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 16, 2012 18:50 as a reply to  @ JacobPhoto's post |  #58

Edited due to settlement.

My Facebook Fan Page (external link) - My Gear

Gojira1976
940 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 16, 2012 18:56 |  #59
bannedPermanent ban

Doc Fluty wrote in post #14442550 (external link)
im not in it for cash. Im it it cause he laughed at me lol

Google emailed me an hour ago and wanted proof. I emailed them the page html i saved from there site and my shots...

hopefully they get black listed from searches... i am also printing out stuff to let their hosting know.

Also cardomain.com has wrote me back and they are not happy their images are being stolen also.

This aint about the money... its about teaching people its not ok to steal images.

bw! great work! i have skimmed a lot of details, but it sounds as if you did what was needed, and the outcome was what you wanted! thanks for sharing this with us! this si a great learning experience for anyone of any level!

AMERICO

Doc ­ Fluty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 14, 2012 19:12 |  #60

Edited due to settlement.

My Facebook Fan Page (external link) - My Gear

sponsored links

10,159 views & 0 likes for this thread
Website stole and edited my pic - Options?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.