Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 15 May 2012 (Tuesday) 23:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why does everyone say nice photos?

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 16, 2012 23:24 |  #16

SOK wrote in post #14442593 (external link)

1. This is not a new complaint. There are countless threads that bemoan this very thing.
  2. We preach that art is in the eye of the beholder when it is suits us...so when someone says "nice shot" to something I find unappealing, do I have to assume they're either lying or stupid? Is it possibly they genuinely think it's a nice shot but don't have much more to say?
  3. The critique you get on an online forum is often worth what you pay for it...which in POTN's case is nothing.
Nice thread though :p

Not sure if I agree with your points. If one posts, "Nice shot", shouldn't they follow it up with at least one detail that makes it a nice shot in their eyes? This drive by complimenting cheapens the forum.

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

sponsored links
SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 16, 2012 23:45 as a reply to  @ ajaffe's post |  #17

If you say so, but I still don't see the mystery in it all.

I refuse to believe that any significant number of people offer 'nice shot' as a lie or a malicious red herring to deceive the photographer that there's nothing wrong with it when in fact there is.

Some people just don't look too deeply and others can't (or don't have the time) to expand.

To be clear, I'm not saying I don't like detailed and specific C&C. I try to go to that level if I'm ever dishing it out.

Maybe I'm far too trusting and simple but I take "nice shot" for what it's worth. It's not worth very much but it's something. They don't have to say anything.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 17, 2012 00:01 as a reply to  @ SOK's post |  #18

I suspect they actually think they're good pictures. To each their own. I've noticed that in the G&N forum often random posters (rather than regulars) will compliment terrible pictures. I suspect it's because they appreciate the model or some sort of picture that's too trashy for me to like or maybe because they just don't know what a good picture requires.

I don't think it's for the sake of the poster's feelings. I think we just don't comment when doing so would require too much criticism or it's hard to even pick a place to begin that's not: these are awful.

It's also possible some are being sarcastic to counteract those "these are awful" feelings.

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 17, 2012 00:08 |  #19

Right and I appreciate that, but why not post why they think so? One reason would be enough. But as it stands most compliments are thrown around without any reason.

To clarify, if someone likes my photo, I want to know why they liked it so I can replicate it. Simply posting, nice pic, is possibly one of my worst fears since it offers no substance to go off of in how I shoot in the future.

V4her
484 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2012

May 17, 2012 08:32 |  #20

Actually, this is a great thread for a noob (like me).
I am probably one of the big offenders, following examples of others posters.
I have posted some shot asking for specific C&C and had some help comments for a noob.

Other times I post shots and get no comments. I assume that they are simply uninteresting to the serious sports or motorsports photographer.

When I compare my shots to most of the stuff posted here, my stuff pales. Honestly, I expect it to.

If there are threads and links as to what make a good sports / motorsports shot, I'll look there there and ask for very specific comments and make either none or make specific comments.

Owen Guion - aspiring sports/motorsports shooter

Canine Sports and Pet Photography:
Flash of Paw (external link)

dunzel
22 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 17, 2012 12:18 |  #21

I think the forum rules create the tendency to make "nice-nice" - and contribute to distorted reality. It's unfortunate. I've made some critical comments on this forum that were nicely worded, but honest, and they were deleted. This cheats the person who's asking for honest advice. Sadly, there are many who are just looking for a pat on the back, and if you're honest, you hurt their feelings - and lord knows we can't have that! This coupled with blog admins who are more concerned for a person's feelings than giving it to them straight, and you have a watered down blog that works against some of the reasons it was started in the first place.

jser
281 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 17, 2012 12:21 |  #22

ajaffe wrote in post #14438517 (external link)
Like the title says, why is the increasing trend in the sports section post "Nice photos" or "Excellent picture" or "Great set" when the reality is far from it? I for one hope that if I ever post a weak photo, people tell me that is sucks so that I can learn and grow from it instead of taking more weak photos thinking I am doing well.

Further, why is it that so many people do not mention "why" it is a great photo or great set?

Just some thoughts, time to hop off my soap box.

Believe me I do not

www.jrs-photography.co.uk (external link)

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 17, 2012 12:46 |  #23

eat, I got some nice rolls from the bakery
eat, I gotta nice roast from the butcher
Dr. Frankenstein, nice set of knockers

nice has just been around forever

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 17, 2012 13:33 |  #24

You-by-Lou wrote in post #14446264 (external link)
eat, I got some nice rolls from the bakery
eat, I gotta nice roast from the butcher
Dr. Frankenstein, nice set of knockers

nice has just been around forever

Was I supposed to not understand this?

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 17, 2012 13:37 |  #25

ajaffe wrote in post #14446477 (external link)
Was I supposed to not understand this?

no....it was a nice soapbox...............​I hear ya

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

mobei
293 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 17, 2012 13:53 as a reply to  @ You-by-Lou's post |  #26

A majority of the talented pros have been chased away from this Forum by the trolls so there isn't much meaningful advice going around these days. POTN sports threads have kinda become the National Enquirer of photography. It pales to what it was.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 17, 2012 19:51 as a reply to  @ mobei's post |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

Instead of asking why the shot is bad, we should ask why the shot is nice...since people like to comment "nice" anyway...:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 17, 2012 20:33 |  #28

That is completely my point! Great to know others feel the same way.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

May 17, 2012 20:55 |  #29

In today's world, most people expect positive feedback, like a trophy for showing up.

So, anything negative and the receiver of the feedback is likely to react. And it is just isn't worth it.

So, I usually only post nice comments.

Even posts with instructions on how to improve a result, for example in photoshop, may be met with resistance or disdain.

Again, why bother?

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 17, 2012 21:29 |  #30
bannedPermanent ban

S.Horton wrote in post #14448274 (external link)
In today's world, most people expect positive feedback, like a trophy for showing up.

So, anything negative and the receiver of the feedback is likely to react. And it is just isn't worth it.

So, I usually only post nice comments.

Even posts with instructions on how to improve a result, for example in photoshop, may be met with resistance or disdain.

Again, why bother?

Yes, why bother. Those with gifted eyes can see something is wrong with the photo. They ask the ontological questions of why the photo existed or why the photo should be here. They can even learn from their own photos. Those that got no eyes, they just make excuses.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

13,880 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why does everyone say nice photos?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.