Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 17 May 2012 (Thursday) 07:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First wedding tips

oceanbeast
494 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 17, 2012 07:43 |  #1

Guys i have landed my first wedding assignment. I am a bit nervous as this will be my first and I understand how important this day is for the people involved.

Do you guys have any links to workflows, tips, ideas, do's/dont's
Anything that might help me do the best job I can possibly do ?

sponsored links
kenstogie
251 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 17, 2012 09:44 |  #2

I am not a pro but have done all my brother's and sister's weddings and they LOVE them sooo
Get a shot list.
Know the schedule of events
do a pre event walk
find out what the couple wants
remember you are selling your self not just your pictures
have contingency plans and equipment

the list could go on I am sure but it's a good start. I have found if I am sitting around waiting for a picture then I am wasting time and missing opportunities. I never am sitting. I do occaionally take a break but not much. Go go go for me.

Yup I like cigars. 7d, T1i and a bunch of other junk.

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 17, 2012 10:15 |  #3

I hate shot lists; I like when I'm given a half dozen or so critical moments, though. In your case shooting your first, I'd say definitely get a comprehensive list put together by going over the day's events with the bride especially and by previsualizing the day. Stick to the script on the day for at least your first couple of weddings. That would be my main recommendation.

The hardest part to shoot, I think, is the time after the ceremony and before the reception (bridal portraits, formals, bridal party etc.). Everyone will be looking at you waiting for you to take command. If you haven't been in this position before, it's rather frightening the first time. My suggestion is to practice being the 'agent', being the one in control by practicing on a couple of friends--e.g. take them out to a field and photograph them; but don't just photograph them, pose them, look at them, look at the light, look at their expression. Being able to be fully 'present' and watching (even while you're looking !) during the bridal party / B&G shots is probably the most difficult part of the day.

Above all, come to the day with ideas, lots of them.

Last thing--and this is hard to do: during the wedding, step aside for a few seconds (maybe whilst chimping some of your shots) and ask yourself: have I missed anything ? What's coming up in the day that I should prepare for ? Do I need to correct for any errors I've made so for ?

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

ultimachi
825 posts
Joined Feb 2011

May 17, 2012 11:18 |  #4

I'd suggest getting someone to shoot with you if it's going to be a big wedding. I shot my first big wedding a few weeks ago and had I not had my partner with me then it would've been tough! At least an assistant to help you out with any lighting or setting up.

*Wedding/Portraits Facebook Page* (external link) *Wedding/Portraits Blog* (external link) *Automotive Facebook Page* (external link) *Automotive Photography Blog* (external link)

kenstogie
251 posts
Joined Jan 2010

May 17, 2012 11:32 |  #5

I use shot list as a guide not as law as I believe there will be shots that are 'not applicable'
For me taking control is to ez, been an Army Officer for 20 years. LOL Funny but there are times when people are looking for someone to take control. Of course there are also times when you should sit back and let what happens, happen.

edit helpers are great. :) Sometimes I just ask people at the wedding, it's a great way to make friends too. ;)

Yup I like cigars. 7d, T1i and a bunch of other junk.

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 17, 2012 12:09 |  #6

There is this from Tim on work flow:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=294717

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 17, 2012 12:12 |  #7

Keep it simple.
Back up camera..back up lenses..back up flashes.
Lots of memory
Lots of batteries
Have a solid contract signed
Liability insurance
Extra clothes
Comfortable shoes
Snacks
Water

A few things to think about.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

brokensocial
481 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 17, 2012 12:46 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #8

Backup gear, signed contract, managed expectations = success!

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photography (external link) | chicago wedding photography blog (external link)

caught14
194 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 17, 2012 13:23 as a reply to  @ brokensocial's post |  #9

Make sure you have a backup of each of your essentials - camera, lenses, batteries. Then make sure you have plenty of memory cards.

My advice to add to what the others have said is to make sure you know your camera very well before the big day. The day of a wedding you need to be focused on capturing the moments and not trying to figure out how to use your camera. There will likely be a variety of lighting scenarios, so make sure you are comfortable with how to obtain a good exposure in these different scenarios.

A practical suggestion is to carry along water and some kind of protein/power bar to keep your energy level up. Being on your feet and being active both mentally and physically can wear you down unexpectedly.

Also, as others have said, make sure you have a contract in place, and make sure both you and the bride have a clear understanding of the expectations before the day of the wedding. If there is payment involved, make sure that is taken care of prior to the wedding day.

Lastly, make sure that you give the bride a good experience - her referral of you depends on it! Smile often, go with the flow, engage her friends and family. Her perception of you is also influenced by what others at the wedding think of you. Good luck!

Colling Photography (external link)
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.com (external link)

hairy_moth
Goldmember
3,739 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

May 17, 2012 13:41 |  #10

oceanbeast wrote in post #14444912 (external link)
Anything that might help me do the best job I can possibly do ?

I am not a wedding photographer. If I were in your situation (depending on how much time you have) I would:

1. Look for a book or books on wedding photography that have how-to information and sample shots.

2. Spend some time browsing this board and visiting some of the websites linked in the signatures. Try to figure out what you want to emulate and avoid.

3. I don't know what level you are at, but make sure you understand how to use your cameras and lighting equipment (have spares).

4. Take notes on the steps above.

If you are like most people, your mind works better when information is fresh in your mind. I would study now (and try to anticipate situations and how you will respond) and then go over those notes the day before and the morning of the wedding. Much like cramming for a final exam.

I recently had to take some pictures at a church picnic. I spend the morning of the picnic browsing the internet for tips on taking candid shots and shooting in mid-day outdoor lighting. Most of what I found, I already knew, but the studying put it all freshly in my mind: I believe it helped.

7D | 300D | G1X | Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | 70-200 f/2.8L MkII -- flickr (external link)

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 17, 2012 17:52 as a reply to  @ hairy_moth's post |  #11

Go and scout the venue(s) before the day.

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

oceanbeast
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Jul 2010

May 18, 2012 20:49 |  #12

lots of great tips guys.

what about shooting trends/ styles that are popular right now.

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 19, 2012 03:44 as a reply to  @ oceanbeast's post |  #13

Honestly, if it's your first and you're a little nervous I would avoid trying to emulate a particular trend or style and just concentrate on the basics; nailing your exposure and focus, and working to the composition fundamentals.

Shoot in RAW and once it's all done you'll have a fair bit of latitude to try a few different "looks" in PP.

The bride and groom will appreciate good, solid images first and foremost! ;)

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,768 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 22, 2012 10:27 |  #14

http://redtiephotograp​hy.blogspot.ca …dy-to-become-wedding.html (external link)

http://digital-photography-school.com …eur-wedding-photographers (external link)

http://www.knotforlife​.com …s/photography-poses.shtml (external link)

http://www.dpchallenge​.com/tutorial.php?TUTO​RIAL_ID=51 (external link)

http://www.wedpix.com …ing-with-on-camera-flash/ (external link)

http://www.buzzle.com …ng-photography-poses.html (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,768 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 22, 2012 10:35 |  #15

As for workflow I just recently adopted LR and between the basic adjustments of WB, exposure, highlights, shadow and NR I find it fast and it delivers great images quickly. I export images into PS as required but try to avoid doing so.

I still do a preliminary cull using Canon's DPP in full screen size and X then delete unusable images before importing. The images look so great in DPP before they are converted.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

3,261 views & 0 likes for this thread
First wedding tips
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.