Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 13 May 2012 (Sunday) 00:47
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "Which video camera do you recommend?"
Canon XF300
71.4%
Sony PMW-Ex1
14.3%
Panasonic AC160
0%
Something else? Post with suggestions.
14.3%

7 voters, 7 votes given (any choice choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help me pick a dedicated video camera!

ajaffe
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 13, 2012 00:47 |  #1

Hi everyone, so every forum I go to and every review I read has something similar or different to say about the three cameras I am looking at. I am really at a loss of what to pick up.

What I am shooting: Sports mainly (some day time, the occasional high school lit field at night), interviews, and event stuff

What I am editing with: Finalcut 7

What I have that also shoots video: 1Dmk4

What I am looking at:
Canon XF300 (I don't plan on doing multicam ever)
Sony Pmw-EX1
Panasonic Ac160

I know they are all similar in terms of low light performance being 1/3" chips. But is there any separation?

Autofocus is better from what I have ready on the Canon, so I am leaning that way, although manual focus for video shot from a high broadcast style level would more than likely be quite easy given the depth of field and how wide I'd be shooting.

But I am literally being tugged in a different direction every time I read something new.

So what do you all recommend based on your experiences?

Also another question, is there anyway to record straight to dvd? Or would I have to import the footage, export it, and then burn a dvd?

www.aaronsjaffe.com (external link)

sponsored links
jmlau
37 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 15, 2012 19:07 |  #2

The Sony's slightly larger sensor will give you better low light than the XF300 (Sony is actually a 1/2" sensor). The Panasonic has AF issues from what I've heard. The XF300 is broadcast ready and shooting at 720p you actually gain about 2 stops of light over the 1080p equivalent in the same settings. Seeing you're from San Diego, Video Gear (www.video-gear.com (external link)) in Miramar area has the Sony and Panny for rent so you can test those out there and George's has the XF300 in stock. I'd suggest using each one to see which you like.

If you keep your 1D4, you can use CF cards with Canon and not buy more memory cards (unless you need to use both cameras at once). Personally I'd love an XF300 if I had the funds

Jonathan Lau (external link)

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 16, 2012 12:54 |  #3

Have you considered the Sony FS100?

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

jmlau
37 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 16, 2012 13:48 |  #4

Based on his 3 choices it looks like he was looking at fixed lenses. If you add in interchangeable lenses then he has a whole new selection of cameras to consider

Jonathan Lau (external link)

photopr0
220 posts
Joined Oct 2011

May 16, 2012 14:08 |  #5

I just purchased the panasonic hmg150p Great camera many manual functions, would definitely recommend it. I was looking to do the same thing sports and high action videos. You can view a few of my videos at this link: http://www.youtube.com​/user/TheRidersChannel (external link)

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 7D Gripped | Canon Rebel xti
Canon 100-400 F4.5-5.6L | Canon 70-200IS F2.8L |Canon 100L| Canon 17-40L | Canon 28-135 | Canon 85 F1.8 | Canon 50 F1.8 II

flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link)

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 16, 2012 16:10 |  #6

I don't need interchangeable lenses. Most of the stuff will be run and gun or high school sports.

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 16, 2012 16:12 |  #7

photopr0 wrote in post #14441319 (external link)
I just purchased the panasonic hmg150p Great camera many manual functions, would definitely recommend it. I was looking to do the same thing sports and high action videos. You can view a few of my videos at this link: http://www.youtube.com​/user/TheRidersChannel (external link)

Nearly every camera can shoot well in the daylight, I am shooting mostly at night. Thanks for the suggestion though.

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 16, 2012 16:34 |  #8

ajaffe wrote in post #14441919 (external link)
I don't need interchangeable lenses. Most of the stuff will be run and gun or high school sports.

Yes but you might find a less expensive camera body that performs just as well AND gives you the advantage of using your photography lenses. THAT can make all the difference in the world.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 16, 2012 17:25 |  #9

List some examples please! Something with good low light performance, good autofocus, and easy workflows.

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 17, 2012 00:22 |  #10

Look into the Panasonic AF100 and the Sony FS100. They are both very popular these days and produce some great results from what I have seen.

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 17, 2012 14:23 |  #11

I have shot with the EX-1 and loved it, great camera. I shot this back in college on an EX-1, but it was before I knew what I was doing and most of the settings were somewhat auto:

http://youtu.be/b4Qfy5​ixL0w (external link)

I have not yet researched that new Canon, but im sure it is equally great. If you want to go with 2k and make a film, dont forget to take a look at this thing! for the money its quite neat.....kind of like an EPIC sized GoPro...

http://gizmodo.com …resolution-for-under-3000 (external link)

P.s. I've got a few night shot's I shot with the EX-1 I can upload if you want. They were show on low S.S. and high ISO's different environments.

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 17, 2012 17:34 |  #12

Please! That would be great.

Also, to help everyone understand why I have not looked at interchangeable lens models very much is simply down to cost and the availability of a zoom rocker. I shot with an AF100 in a studio environment and it was very, very clunky to zoom smoothly.

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 18, 2012 07:56 as a reply to  @ ajaffe's post |  #13

I went back into my old footage from college and dug out a few low-light shots from the EX-1. Back when I shot these I did not know what nearly what I know now about camera settings, so other than the Shutter speed, and WB the camera did most of this on auto. none of these scene's were lit by any other light source other than what existed in the environment. Everything I shot in better light always looked great and was normally focused and exposed well. The camera has a good processor.

http://youtu.be/NZZD_v​96uWA (external link)

I would check out that new Canon as well. I am sure there are some comparison vid's out there somewhere.

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
788 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 18, 2012 14:10 |  #14

It is a close comparison from what I have read. Hence my decision to ask here. I am leaning a bit more towards the Ex1 though since I found out about SXS card adapters where SDHC cards can be used and because of the larger sensor size.

The low light videos look really good even with youtube compression. Thanks!

StaticMedia
875 posts
Joined Dec 2011

May 18, 2012 15:12 |  #15

No problemo, Yes that was one of my problems with Sony where they MADE you buy their SXS cards. I'm glad adapters are now available though. I was not aware.

sponsored links

2,222 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help me pick a dedicated video camera!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.