Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 17 May 2012 (Thursday) 03:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Quick Tutorial on Shooting Video with 7D

MrChip
124 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 17, 2012 03:58 |  #1

Hello,

My son is playing in a LL playoff game tomorrow and I want to catch the action on video. I have been shooting 720P video with a JVC Everio. I have also been taking pictures with my 7D.

I have owned the 7D for a year and have never shot video. I would like to try doing so at tomorrow's game but know NOTHING about how to do it. I would be shooting with a 70-200 F2.8 (non-IS) and will be using a Calumet mono pod with a basic head on it. Yes, I realize I should probably improve my tripod/head, but I would like to try it out tomorrow.

Any tips on settings/procedures would be greatly appreciated. I will be bringing 2 8GB SanDisk Extremes with me and I have a grip.

I usually shoot in Av mode, but will go with whatever you recommend in terms of mode.

I am looking for tips on:
1. Camera Settings - standard and custom
2. Recommended ISO and F-stop for outdoors sports
3. Estimate of how quickly the card will fill up.
4. Anything else you think I should know.
5. Tips on getting the best focus

Thanks!!
Chip

Camera: Canon 70D and 7D with grips,
Canon lenses: 100-400 Mark II, 70-200F2.8, 300F4 IS, 85F1.8, 50F1.8, 17-55 F2.8 EFS, and 1.4x extender
Other lenses: Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Wish List: Canon 300mm F2.8 and 5D Mark IV (feel free to donate)

ajaffe
792 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 17, 2012 23:09 |  #2

-Don't stray too far from 2x whatever your fps is in setting your shutter speed. For example, 24.97 fps should be shot around 1/50th.

-You will have to preset focus, don't expect to track focus and zoom at the same time unless you practice it a lot, and even then... This means you have to pre-select which shots you want.

-ISO is always the lowest possible since your aperture will be pretty stopped down given the shutter speed you have to maintain.

-Your battery will drain VERY fast if you leave the video liveview on. Further, your sensor will get very hot which will in turn prevent you from shooting video since it will shut down that option.

-Get a tripod if you are shooting with a 70-200 unless you like feeling sea sick.

-8gb is pretty small, but as long as you shoot short clips and don't try to shoot extended length you will be fine.

www.jaffe.photo

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

962 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Quick Tutorial on Shooting Video with 7D
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.