Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 17 May 2012 (Thursday) 17:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

eclipse, conflicting information re. need of solar filter

swngdncr
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2011

May 17, 2012 17:01 |  #1

I'm seeing conflicting advice in various locations re. the need for a solar filter to photograph the eclipse. I see some posts saying it is essential, and others saying 'don't worry about it, we take pictures with the sun in it all the time.'

So my question is this, assuming a max. reach of 400mm on a crop sensor, can you get a good shot of the eclipse alone w/detail, or would the better approach be to go wider and try for a shot of the eclipse as the background of some interesting foreground? If so, would not a solar filter render all the foreground black? So, do you shoot instead with no filter, or an ND filter?

From what I can tell, unless you have a gargantuan lens or are shooting through a scope or other specialized equipment, you are talking about a relative small sphere, with little detail. Your not going to get a shot like this with 400-500mm, correct? :

http://www.space.com …pse-photo-guide-2012.html (external link)

With 400mm on a crop sensor, can you get a shot of the eclipse alone with enough detail to be interesting, and in this case, is a solar filter then required? Thanks in advance for your help.

Canon 50D, 70-200 f4, 70-200 f2.8, 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4, 1.4x & 2.0x TC

sponsored links
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

May 18, 2012 05:29 |  #2

swngdncr wrote in post #14447401 (external link)
With 400mm on a crop sensor, can you get a shot of the eclipse alone with enough detail to be interesting

You sure can. Remember the Sun is about the same size in the sky as is the Moon, and there are loads of examples of Moon photos at 400mm. Here's my Sun image with a 100-400...

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/Solar%20Filter_20120202_006.jpg

To fill the frame on an APS-C you'll need around 1500mm.

and in this case, is a solar filter then required? Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes. Definitely. You will need a proper filter specifically designed for shooting the Sun. An ordinary ND will not block enough IR.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

May 18, 2012 06:00 |  #3

I have read that you need the solar filter before and after the total eclipse but you need to take it off when the full eclipse occurs.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 18, 2012 06:04 |  #4

5Dmaniac wrote in post #14449683 (external link)
I have read that you need the solar filter before and after the total eclipse but you need to take it off when the full eclipse occurs.

This is true for a total eclipse, where the whole of the Sun's disc is covered by the Moon. But on Sunday the eclipse is partial or annular - not all of the Sun will be hidden. Even a small sliver of naked Sun can cause damage to eyes and optics when magnified by a big lens.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.

swngdncr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2011

May 18, 2012 10:44 as a reply to  @ hollis_f's post |  #5

Thanks for the information, this is very helpful. I've got a welders #14 glass which after looking around on the net, I think I'll be able to rig into a solar filter. Going to try that today and see if I can get a setup that works and test it out. I realize I'll need to do some major adjustments PP to get the colors right, but it was the only option I had at this late juncture, and in my budget.

You sure can. Remember the Sun is about the same size in the sky as is the Moon, and there are loads of examples of Moon photos at 400mm. Here's my Sun image with a 100-400...

IMAGE: http://www.frankhollis.com/temp/Solar%20Filter_20120202_006.jpg

To fill the frame on an APS-C you'll need around 1500mm.

Yes. Definitely. You will need a proper filter specifically designed for shooting the Sun. An ordinary ND will not block enough IR.[/QUOTE]

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 18, 2012 11:39 |  #6

swngdncr wrote in post #14450663 (external link)
Thanks for the information, this is very helpful. I've got a welders #14 glass which after looking around on the net, I think I'll be able to rig into a solar filter.

Just make sure there's no way the filter can fall off during use.

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 18, 2012 17:51 |  #7

soooo a few ND filters and polarizer wont cut it?

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

Mike ­ Deep
Goldmember
1,913 posts
Gallery: 94 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2008

May 19, 2012 00:31 |  #8

sigma pi wrote in post #14452423 (external link)
soooo a few ND filters and polarizer wont cut it?

They will if you're not into the whole "continued use of eyesight" thing.

mikedeep.com (external link) - rocket launch photography

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,337 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

May 19, 2012 12:09 |  #9

or would the better approach be to go wider and try for a shot of the eclipse as the background of some interesting foreground? If so, would not a solar filter render all the foreground black? So, do you shoot instead with no filter, or an ND filter?

I like this idea best. There's so much going on during a solar eclipse especially if you're looking at the ground on a wooded lot. The interesting shapes made by the shadows is quite surreal. I would go this route. The sun will be down by me when this happens so I won't get to experience it this time around.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 19, 2012 15:07 |  #10

Mike Deep wrote in post #14453705 (external link)
They will if you're not into the whole "continued use of eyesight" thing.

I was going to live view and not look in the eye piece :D .... so I am good? :lol:

Thanks for the info. I guess Ill just look at every one elses pics :D

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

swngdncr
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined May 2011

May 19, 2012 21:28 |  #11

Still wondering, with the approach of the eclipse being the backdrop to an interesting foreground, so you are not zoomed in on the sun, what kind of filtering is needed? I did rig up a very successful solar filter by using silicon to attach it to a conkin 77mm adapter ring. I then just screw this on to the lens and get no light bleed or anything, but, it is so dark that you can't really get any foreground. If there is a silhouette against the sun itself, that is visible, but very tough to focus on the foreground, especially plant material with the wind blowing. Had trouble getting focus on the sun as well, but just not sure what to expect. This is sort of typical of some of the test shots I got this afternoon...

CameraMan wrote in post #14455234 (external link)
I like this idea best. There's so much going on during a solar eclipse especially if you're looking at the ground on a wooded lot. The interesting shapes made by the shadows is quite surreal. I would go this route. The sun will be down by me when this happens so I won't get to experience it this time around.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

J0eybb
154 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 20, 2012 02:10 |  #12

This might be a dumb question. How is this any different than shooting a sunset?

T3i Kit | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | n00b

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 20, 2012 04:38 |  #13

J0eybb wrote in post #14457862 (external link)
This might be a dumb question. How is this any different than shooting a sunset?

Lift your face up to the mid-day Sun. You can feel the warmth - that's the IR radiation, the stuff that can cause serious damage. Now (well, in several hour's time) turn your face to the setting Sun. You're unlikely to feel much warmth at all. That's because the IR light gets scattered and absorbed by the thicker layer of atmosphere. That's the main reason why you can shoot a sunset, or even look towards the setting Sun itself, and not have your sensor, or eyeballs, cooked.

J0eybb
154 posts
Joined Nov 2011

May 20, 2012 18:06 |  #14

hollis_f wrote in post #14458051 (external link)
Lift your face up to the mid-day Sun. You can feel the warmth - that's the IR radiation, the stuff that can cause serious damage. Now (well, in several hour's time) turn your face to the setting Sun. You're unlikely to feel much warmth at all. That's because the IR light gets scattered and absorbed by the thicker layer of atmosphere. That's the main reason why you can shoot a sunset, or even look towards the setting Sun itself, and not have your sensor, or eyeballs, cooked.

Thank You!

T3i Kit | EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | n00b

DanFaenza
76 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 30, 2012 10:07 |  #15

Speaking of sunset, it appears that the Venus transit is going to be at it's best just before/at sunset here in FL. My question is what type of filter should I use so Venus is actually visible in front of the sun (if any filter at all)?

P.S. I'm thinking of making it a beach day that day and hang out for sunset, just fyi. :)

Dan
Daniel Anthony Photography (external link)

sponsored links

5,989 views & 0 likes for this thread
eclipse, conflicting information re. need of solar filter
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.