Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 17 May 2012 (Thursday) 01:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1dmkIII- "my menu" items not being recalled... Please help POTN!!!

TexRex
345 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 17, 2012 01:52 |  #1

I have searched for this answer already but couldn't find something that answered my question. I tried google as well and no luck and I know others have had this problem.

I save the registered items on 'my menu' ... I turn the camera off, turn it back on and it's all disappeared and i have to register it all again. Firmare is updated.. and nothing is working.

Canon stuff....

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,460 posts
Joined May 2003

May 17, 2012 18:37 |  #2

I'd try replacing the date/time battery. I don't know about the "my menu" settings, but some settings are not retained if this battery is weak. See page 188 of the manual or go to the attached.

TexRex
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 17, 2012 21:25 |  #3

John from PA wrote in post #14447775 (external link)
I'd try replacing the date/time battery. I don't know about the "my menu" settings, but some settings are not retained if this battery is weak. See page 188 of the manual or go to the attached.

Thank you I will try that

Canon stuff....

TexRex
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 17, 2012 22:20 |  #4

John from PA wrote in post #14447775 (external link)

Replaced it and still no luck :( settings still erase.

Canon stuff....

Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 18, 2012 01:17 |  #5

That is really weird! Have you tried google? Maybe someone out there has had the problem

EDIT: I just googled and I got nothing, sorry I couldn't help

-Brendan B.
Graphic Designer | Photographer
5D III | 5D III | Σ 35 1.4 Art | 35 1.4L | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8L | 135 2L
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,460 posts
Joined May 2003

May 18, 2012 07:05 |  #6

Sorry the date/time battery replacement didn't work.

I'm not intimately familiar with the Mk III but I believe you can chose whether to save your settings internally or to the storage media used. See page 182 of manual and check if "Save/Load settings on media" is selected? If you are saving to the storage media and loading from the media, I suppose anything like formatting the storage card would wipe all this out.

I think you can also make your setting using the EOS Utility. In version 2.5 page 22 there is a section titled "...set My Menu and registering to camera.

If that doesn't work, I have to ask if you tried a firmware update? Even if what you have is current I would consider a "redo".

TexRex
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 18, 2012 09:02 |  #7

Yep thanks I tried all that and the newest firmware update with no luck

John from PA wrote in post #14449810 (external link)
Sorry the date/time battery replacement didn't work.

I'm not intimately familiar with the Mk III but I believe you can chose whether to save your settings internally or to the storage media used. See page 182 of manual and check if "Save/Load settings on media" is selected? If you are saving to the storage media and loading from the media, I suppose anything like formatting the storage card would wipe all this out.

I think you can also make your setting using the EOS Utility. In version 2.5 page 22 there is a section titled "...set My Menu and registering to camera.

If that doesn't work, I have to ask if you tried a firmware update? Even if what you have is current I would consider a "redo".

Canon stuff....

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 18, 2012 09:05 |  #8

Please don't take this as an insult. Are you sure you took the right steps to "register" those menu option to your My Menu? Reason i asked, is that I remember Canon did not make it intuitive enough in that department. I have no problem registering/customizin​g my menu in my 1D MkIII though.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

TexRex
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 18, 2012 09:13 |  #9

No insult at all. Yes I am very familiar with my menu options as I used it quite often on my other 1d3, 5d2, and 7d.

cfcRebel wrote in post #14450189 (external link)
Please don't take this as an insult. Are you sure you took the right steps to "register" those menu option to your My Menu? Reason i asked, is that I remember Canon did not make it intuitive enough in that department. I have no problem registering/customizin​g my menu in my 1D MkIII though.

Canon stuff....

cfcRebel
Cream of the Crop
10,252 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 18, 2012 09:21 |  #10

If everything fails, have you tried reset the entire camera to factory default settings? I had to do that once because for the life of me, i couldn't find which setting that put my camera in a weird behavior (i forgot what it was). Resetting to factory default resolved the issue.

Fee

Canon | SIGMA | TAMRON | Kenko | Amvona

TexRex
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 18, 2012 10:31 |  #11

cfcRebel wrote in post #14450254 (external link)
If everything fails, have you tried reset the entire camera to factory default settings? I had to do that once because for the life of me, i couldn't find which setting that put my camera in a weird behavior (i forgot what it was). Resetting to factory default resolved the issue.

Yep to all. Just reinstalled latest firmware, reset every function in every screen to default, and when the camera is turned off settings erase. :cry:

Canon stuff....

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,460 posts
Joined May 2003

May 18, 2012 10:35 |  #12

Time to communicate with Canon??

TexRex
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 18, 2012 11:03 |  #13

John from PA wrote in post #14450621 (external link)
Time to communicate with Canon??

Looks like it. Thanks guys/gals!

Canon stuff....

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,460 posts
Joined May 2003

May 18, 2012 11:06 |  #14

One more thing possibly worth trying is to try a hard reset of the camera. You will loose everything in the way of Custom settings so write things down before preceeding.

Remove both the main battery and the time/clock battery. Turn the power switch for the camera to "On" and hit the shutter button a few times. This bleeds off all residual power in the circuits. Leave the camera sit for 20-30 minutes, then move the power switch to "Off". Make absolutely sure you do this and then reinsert both batteries. Then retest.

TexRex
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Jun 2009

May 18, 2012 11:19 |  #15

Interesting I didn't know about the hard reset I'm trying it now thanks

John from PA wrote in post #14450769 (external link)
One more thing possibly worth trying is to try a hard reset of the camera. You will loose everything in the way of Custom settings so write things down before preceeding.

Remove both the main battery and the time/clock battery. Turn the power switch for the camera to "On" and hit the shutter button a few times. This bleeds off all residual power in the circuits. Leave the camera sit for 20-30 minutes, then move the power switch to "Off". Make absolutely sure you do this and then reinsert both batteries. Then retest.

Canon stuff....

sponsored links

2,487 views & 0 likes for this thread
1dmkIII- "my menu" items not being recalled... Please help POTN!!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.