Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 16 May 2012 (Wednesday) 10:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G12 Filter Adaptor (Canon)

ALH
200 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 16, 2012 10:26 |  #1

I've recently purchased a G12 and am going to buy the Canon filter adapter. Is it OK to leave this adapter on the camera permanently?

Thanks,
Al

sponsored links
GordonSBuck
914 posts
Joined Jan 2003

May 16, 2012 12:48 |  #2

I elected to purchase the Lensmate adapter, here are my comments on it: http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com …11/g12-lens-adapters.html (external link)

Gordon
http://lightdescriptio​n.blogspot.com (external link)
My 10 Best Photos: http://hornerbuck.smug​mug.com …187_MdCXA#56343​6691_UdXpt (external link)

ALH
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 16, 2012 12:58 |  #3

I elected not to buy that one :)

rbro
179 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 16, 2012 13:57 as a reply to  @ ALH's post |  #4

I have them both, and I think the Canon is superior (functionally and economically). Yes, the Lensmate is Aluminum, but trying to avoid vignetting can get to be a hassle. I leave mine on the camera always - it makes holding the camera much easier.

rbro

Phototeacher
260 posts
Joined May 2007

May 16, 2012 22:23 |  #5

The Lenmate site says that their adapter is made of Delrin, which is a plastic, not metal. In any event, how do you feel that they function differently?

rbro wrote in post #14441281 (external link)
I have them both, and I think the Canon is superior (functionally and economically). Yes, the Lensmate is Aluminum, but trying to avoid vignetting can get to be a hassle. I leave mine on the camera always - it makes holding the camera much easier.

rbro

ALH
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 17, 2012 03:24 |  #6

rbro wrote in post #14441281 (external link)

rbro

Thanks for that :)

rbro
179 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 17, 2012 14:22 as a reply to  @ ALH's post |  #7

Phototeacher: It seems that Canon, and now, Lensmate are trying to make the G12 something that it is not - it just can't be a "do it all" camera for every situation. It is a wonderful camera just as it is. My needs are for a basic set of filters, and some occasional IR filters. My experiences go back all the way to the G1. I bought all the recommended accessories (wide angle, telephoto, macro, etc), and found that using all these things can get to be so inconvenient and time consuming so as to take the fun out of photography. A big part of photography is spontaneaity, and all these wonderful extras just seem to destroy that for me. The Lensmate unit being 2 pieces is a pain. Coupled to the fact that unless one buys a specific 72mm set of polarizers and filters (much higher cost), it will vignette. The Canon unit is 1 piece, and uses 58mm filters (more economical) and moves with the lens. It is more of a "plug and play" accessory, if you will.

rbro

Phototeacher
260 posts
Joined May 2007

May 18, 2012 10:01 |  #8

rbro,

Thanks for the clarification on the adapter. Also, my apologies; I misread the thread as for the G1X, not the G12! An awful lot of 1, G and GX model variations out there now.

Al ­ Rohrer
85 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2003

May 18, 2012 14:56 |  #9

I bought the filter adapter for a G2 that I bought when it first came out and it has been on there every since. My wife loved it that way, even though she never used filters.
I bought a G12 last year and just ordered the Canon adapter for it to use with 58mm filters. I probably won't leave this one on all the time but there is no reason you can't to the best of my knowledge.

Canon Shooter and PSCS5 on a PC.

ALH
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 19, 2012 02:35 |  #10

Picked up the adapter yesterday. Very happy with the quality and looking forward to using some filters now.

ALH
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 20, 2012 09:09 |  #11

Would be interested to know what case/bag you use with the adapter fitted.

And a recommendation regarding screen protectors would be welcome.

Thanks,
Al

tmcman
Goldmember
4,401 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2007

May 21, 2012 00:12 |  #12

Any little six inch cube shoulder bag will do. I had an old Lowepro laying around and adopted it for my G12.
Sometimes I split it and put the filter adapter in a mini hoodhat and stick it in one cargo pocket and stick the cam in a tiny point and shoot pouch and stuff that in another cargo pocket.

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
Sony A6000, 16-50, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." A. W. Dow

ALH
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 21, 2012 08:55 |  #13

Thank you - the hoodhat is a good idea.

Al

ALH
THREAD ­ STARTER
200 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 25, 2012 04:21 |  #14

tmcman wrote in post #14461656 (external link)
Any little six inch cube shoulder bag will do. I had an old Lowepro laying around and adopted it for my G12.
Sometimes I split it and put the filter adapter in a mini hoodhat and stick it in one cargo pocket and stick the cam in a tiny point and shoot pouch and stuff that in another cargo pocket.

Thanks very much for the heads up re the hoodhat. Have just received one and it fits perfectly.

Al

denncald
Goldmember
2,115 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 25, 2012 07:44 |  #15

[QUOTE=ALH;14458588]
And a recommendation regarding screen protectors would be welcome.

I use the Boxwave anti-glare protectors on my cameras, and iPod Touch.

http://www.boxwave.com …-anti-glare/bwpdd/f-ztvw/ (external link)

Dennis

sponsored links

4,594 views & 0 likes for this thread
G12 Filter Adaptor (Canon)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.