Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 19 May 2012 (Saturday) 03:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Sells Used Scratched Up Camera as New_ Very Disappointed

this thread is locked
Logan_from_Miami
198 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 19, 2012 10:05 |  #46

If I were unsatisfied with a transaction I would call them and discuss an exchange for a different unit.

My facebook (external link) Photography page

sponsored links
tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 19, 2012 10:16 |  #47

^^ agree... it was probably a mistake. Imagine they have tons of deliveries to make daily. All has to be perfect and accurate.

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 19, 2012 10:32 |  #48

jrbdmb wrote in post #14454362 (external link)
+1.

I'm fine with returning this to Adorama for a "pristine" copy. Not fine with blasting them here before you've even made any attempt to contact Customer Service and set things right.

Why not? To each his own...

This just proves Adorama quality system is a little flawed and I'm glad the OP brought it to light.

If Adorama did their jobs correctly the first time, they would not have a unhappy customer. Do you know how long people have waited to get this camera? I can imagine the OP excitement and anticipation, only to be let down? Sorry, screw that.

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

May 19, 2012 10:33 as a reply to  @ post 14454811 |  #49

My view on life:-
We sadly don't have this outlet in the UK and I understand they have good prices, however:-

1. Assuming all of the OP's $3,500 dollars were perfect, then all of the camera should be perfect. Perhaps if $500 transpired to be fake, then it would be OK to send him a less than perfect product.
i] In the UK it's the Law - end of story!
ii] Its morally correct!
iii] Digital cameras, due to fast moving technology are not cameras for life. Hence I would want a perfect one so I could keep it in cosmetically perfect condition. The resale value of a MINT 2 year old camera is far more than one that is all banged up! Also people with a resonable IQ understand that a scratch like this could be the result of a light scuff or could have been the result of a 3ft drop onto a carpeted concrete floor. Cameras are sensitive beasts so it matters.
iv] The condition of a presentation box to me is vital. But then I understand Logistics and have been inside numerous major courier Hubs - you would wet yourself if you saw parcels crashing to the foor from 30ft high conveyer systems!
v] The condition of the accessories and their wrapping is indicative of whether or not the item has been 'used'! I think it's important. e.g. (forgive me if I cite a Sony camera because that is what my last one was). There is a feature called Direct Manual Focus. If you select it AND wait for focus to lock, then you can manually fine focus the lens without damage. If your lens is an SSM ( USM Canon terms) you can twist the focus ring at any time - with no problems. However if you have an old Minolta screw drive lens and twist the focus ring without preselecting DMF, and waiting for focus to lock on . You damge the AF drive in the camera and the lens's AF system! Pretty complex - my point is I wouldn't want somebody [who appears to be careless - re the scratch] who probably has not even read the manual, potentially damaging my new pride and joy. OK you can call me fussy, but I'd just call it basic logic and intelligence.
2. I do agree that the OP should have contacted the Vendor first, and then posted if the problem was not put right - citing names of people who didn't help him and their reasons.
3. On the other hand if there was a slip up in procedures I as a prospective purchaser kinda like to know which vendors are meticulous about ensuring perfect new goods are delivered . Bluntly I don't want the hassle of having to send things back.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

garys1
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 19, 2012 10:40 |  #50

I recently purchased a Zeiss 100 Makro. It also was a customer return. Nothing was wrong with the lens. the box was torn in the corners and looked as though it was taped shut. I contacted Helen at Adorama and got a $150 credit and a huge apology! Contact her a helen@adorama.com (external link).

TheFarmer
267 posts
Joined May 2012

May 19, 2012 11:05 |  #51

That really sucks. I hope the OP gets everything worked out. $3500 is a lot of money for something you are not happy with.

5DM3 | 35mm F2 | Sigma 50mm 1.4 | 24-105 F4L | Canon GP-E2 GPS | Canon ST-E3-RT | 2x 600EX-RT | The End

Joe.Kelley
322 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 19, 2012 11:05 |  #52

First is it possible that it is a factory defect? did you do an eos count to see if it actually has been used? and you realize that there isn't a retailer that inspects every camera that goes out mistakes happen and adorama has a proven track record of making things right for the customer... I would have let them try to fix the problem before posting this

Fuji X100s | Sony RX100 II | 5D MKIII (SOLD)| 35L (SOLD) | 70-200 L IS MKII (SOLD)| GoPro Hero3 Black
2 Einsteins | CyberSync System | Vagabond Mini

IShootThings
I thought I was special.......
2,032 posts
Joined May 2009

May 19, 2012 11:29 |  #53

I recently made a large purchase from Adorama and I have absolutely no complaints. Everything showed up on time in perfect condition. They seem like a pretty good company, I'd contact them immediately.

Canon 5D3, Canon XTI (IR converted), 24-70 f2.8L, 16-35 f4L, 50 1.4, 70-200 f2.8L, 100 2.8 macro, 430 ex & 580 exII speedlights.

cristphoto
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Feb 2010

May 19, 2012 11:33 |  #54

I just checked the box of one of my bodies and looked at the strap (I never use the factory Canon strap - I use an optional strap). It had tape on the plastic wrap also and I'm virtually certain the box hadn't been previously opened. As I recall I've often seen tape sealing the various wrapped components - nothing unusual.

5D MKIV x2, 24L II, 35L II, 50L, 85LIS, 100LIS Macro, 135L, 300LIS, 16-35LIS, 24-70L, 24-105LIS II, 70-200LIS, 100-400LIS

TijmenDal
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Oct 2010

May 19, 2012 11:47 |  #55

General_T wrote in post #14454323 (external link)
You can't possibly be serious? Something tells me your moral character is lacking.

It's about being right or being relevant. Sure, the OP brought a new product. But that doesn't mean he has to put Adorama of as some kind of evil company. People really need to learn the difference between being right and relevant.

EDIT: To illustrate my point: this is like being angry because you just bought a 'new' car and there 8 miles on it...

//Tijmen
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tijmendalexternal link

Gear

Ron ­ Bailey
Goldmember
1,108 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 19, 2012 12:02 |  #56

I'm sure it's an honest mistake and Adorama will fix it as soon as they are made aware of it in a friendly, calm, professional manner. Unlike some of the posts in this thread.

http://www.ronbaileyph​otography.com/ (external link)

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,509 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 19, 2012 12:06 |  #57

Which system that has no flaw ?.

williejr wrote in post #14454913 (external link)
Why not? To each his own...

This just proves Adorama quality system is a little flawed and I'm glad the OP brought it to light.

If Adorama did their jobs correctly the first time, they would not have a unhappy customer. Do you know how long people have waited to get this camera? I can imagine the OP excitement and anticipation, only to be let down? Sorry, screw that.

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 19, 2012 12:10 |  #58

CHASLX200 wrote in post #14454251 (external link)
They had a buy back program back in the 80's. I had sent them a Celestron Comet catcher and a SP- mount and they wanted to pay me $80 for the whole setup. What a rip off.

:lol:

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 19, 2012 12:20 |  #59

TijmenDal wrote in post #14454276 (external link)
Holy ****. Talkin' about taking whining to the next level.

- The wrap of you Canon strap (which no-one uses anyway) has been opened!
- And the wrap of your battery looks old? OMG!
- The camera has been 'scratched' up? Dude, talkin' about pixel-peeping. The chance your camera will have something similar like that in two weeks (granted you use it). I couldn't even see what you meant till you showed the crop...

Just go out and use it and stop paying attention to such incredibly minor details. Call me a hater, but this is ridiculous.

I am going to agree with this. I dont get it, it does not affect the pictures, and the first time I use it, it will be scuffed. This must be going in a show case.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

alpha_1976
Goldmember
3,960 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 19, 2012 12:21 |  #60

I wonder some of you who are saying "forget about scratches and all that and go out and shoot" if you ever bought anything new!

I also agree OP should give a call to Adorama and find out. But what worries me is that Adorama seems to do stuff that irritates people.

I know more about gear than I know about photography :p
Gear List

sponsored links

19,399 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama Sells Used Scratched Up Camera as New_ Very Disappointed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.