Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 19 May 2012 (Saturday) 03:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Sells Used Scratched Up Camera as New_ Very Disappointed

this thread is locked
hhuy888
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 19, 2012 12:21 |  #61

It is interesting for me to see the responses from everyone. Thanks everyone for taking time to think about the matter.
- First of all, I like Adorama a lot and do not mean to ruin their good reputation. I will still keep buying from them; however, if it ever happen like this again, I will never come back.
- I have bought used photo equipments before and when I do I accept the condition it is in. In this case, I don't want to pay for something looked used or refurbished at best as a new item.
- I know Helen is a great help and do appreciate her help, I certainly will ask for her help. But what about future customers, how do they know that they could receive used items even if they pay for new. I thought this would be the right forum for letting people know.
- No, I will not check out the actualtions. I only need to know that when I buy used items...

Again, thanks everyone for taking time to put in their thoughts and advice. I do appreciate all that help.
Have a great weekend and happy photoshooting, everyone.

hhuy

sponsored links
sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 19, 2012 12:25 |  #62

alpha_1976 wrote in post #14455283 (external link)
I wonder some of you who are saying "forget about scratches and all that and go out and shoot" if you ever bought anything new!

I also agree OP should give a call to Adorama and find out. But what worries me is that Adorama seems to do stuff that irritates people.

Yes 99% of the gear I own. One thing that was used, my assistant broke the one I was borrowing from a friend and bought them a new one and had the broken one repaired. The other was a grip.

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
11,204 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 19, 2012 12:28 |  #63

hhuy888 wrote in post #14455285 (external link)
It is interesting for me to see the responses from everyone. Thanks everyone for taking time to think about the matter.
- First of all, I like Adorama a lot and do not mean to ruin their good reputation. I will still keep buying from them; however, if it ever happen like this again, I will never come back.
- I have bought used photo equipments before and when I do I accept the condition it is in. In this case, I don't want to pay for something looked used or refurbished at best as a new item.
- I know Helen is a great help and do appreciate her help, I certainly will ask for her help. But what about future customers, how do they know that they could receive used items even if they pay for new. I thought this would be the right forum for letting people know.
- No, I will not check out the actualtions. I only need to know that when I buy used items...

Again, thanks everyone for taking time to put in their thoughts and advice. I do appreciate all that help.
Have a great weekend and happy photoshooting, everyone.

The good news, you know Adorama / Helen are going to take care of this. :D

BTW were you on the waiting list or waited til they had them in stock?

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com …6850267535/in/p​hotostream (external link)

Yno
863 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 19, 2012 12:51 |  #64

Adorama will make it right. Of this, I am 100% sure.

My first dealings with Adorama were in the mid 70's, and I have used them ever since. Have I ever had a problem? I got something once that was not as described on their website, and rather than get on the forum and try to besmirch their reputation, I sent an email to Helen. She had to do a bit of research, and it turned out that the vendor had changed the design, but not sent out updated information. She gave me the choice of returning it (at their expense) or keeping it and getting a credit. Even though it was not their fault. As it was only a minor difference I decided to keep the item and thanked Helen for the help.

Adorama is a company made up of people, and I have met few perfect people in my life. The company I work for has made mistakes (a few of them mine! :oops: ) but we take care of them immediately to the customer's satisfaction. I guess I am glad we are in a niche industry and there is no forum where people would go to **** before they even contacted us.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.com (external link)

crn3371
Cream of the Crop
7,198 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 19, 2012 13:20 |  #65

I can understand the OP being upset if he feels he received "used" equipment. I don't understand the point of airing this publicly instead of contacting Adorama and just quietly getting it resolved.

williejr
746 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 19, 2012 13:34 |  #66

TijmenDal wrote in post #14455161 (external link)
It's about being right or being relevant. Sure, the OP brought a new product. But that doesn't mean he has to put Adorama of as some kind of evil company. People really need to learn the difference between being right and relevant.

EDIT: To illustrate my point: this is like being angry because you just bought a 'new' car and there 8 miles on it...

Not even close.... 2 of those 8 miles is something you personally test drove and you knew you the mileage before and inspect the car before you drive off the lot.

The OP never got to inspect the goods until he received it. It's more like, stuff it in a box without proper insulation knowing the parcel companies just toss the boxes around with no regard to what's in the box.

You guys are blaming the OP for taking it to the forums before speaking to them? Please... The quality control went out the window with this shipment and we're suppose to give Adorama a pass and the courtesy they deserve to be relevant? Yeah.. ok

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 19, 2012 14:16 as a reply to  @ post 14455283 |  #67
bannedPermanent ban

Ooops, I am sorry. That was the 5dIII I returned a week ago. I only had about 100 clicks on it. I decided the camera was too much for me and sticking to my 5dII for now. Sorry about that...:)

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

chrisandaivi
718 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 19, 2012 16:01 |  #68

TijmenDal wrote in post #14454276 (external link)
Holy ****. Talkin' about taking whining to the next level.

- The wrap of you Canon strap (which no-one uses anyway) has been opened!
- And the wrap of your battery looks old? OMG!
- The camera has been 'scratched' up? Dude, talkin' about pixel-peeping. The chance your camera will have something similar like that in two weeks (granted you use it). I couldn't even see what you meant till you showed the crop...

Just go out and use it and stop paying attention to such incredibly minor details. Call me a hater, but this is ridiculous.

?????...LOL

Gear: 5D Mark II, Canon 85mm 1.2 L ,Canon 17-40mm F4L
Canon 24-70mm F2.8L, Canon 70-200mm F4L
580 exII x2
Rf602 triggers
Etc, Etc, ETC

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

May 19, 2012 16:40 |  #69

I dunno... to me it doesn't look like the strap bag was opened before, it just has tape on it. Just because the bag is taped shut doesn't mean it had been opened. And if someone had used the camera for a few days before returning it or the camera had been a demo unit, it seems odd that the strap would've been taken out and attached to the body.

As for the battery, the plastic is torn but I don't see any evidence the bag had been opened. If the battery had arrived without any bag, then you'd probably think it was new, right?

The scuff on the body is a different matter. It's hard to tell but it looks like you can't rub it off. This seems like the only real evidence that the camera is not new. I'd guess that Adorama may have mistakenly shipped a returned camera, but it's hard to put the full blame on Adorama since it's possible the mistake was made before they received it, or the body was scuffed at the factory.

If it bugs you, then exchange it.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

alann
Goldmember
2,689 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 19, 2012 19:16 |  #70

Adorama is my retailer of choice. I have never had any issues with them. I would bet they will do whatever it takes to make you happy.

My FLickrPage (external link)

coldcuts113
930 posts
Joined Aug 2010

May 19, 2012 20:31 |  #71

alann wrote in post #14456563 (external link)
Adorama is my retailer of choice. I have never had any issues with them. I would bet they will do whatever it takes to make you happy.

I agree ^^

With that said, that should have never happened.

Nikon D4, Sony RX10, Sony RX100.
Past Gear: (most recently) 5D3, L's, etc.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 19, 2012 20:42 |  #72

alann wrote in post #14456563 (external link)
Adorama is my retailer of choice. I have never had any issues with them.

And with the OP making public what happened to him, hopefully there will be many more people in your shoes from now on.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

May 19, 2012 21:56 |  #73

TijmenDal wrote in post #14455161 (external link)
EDIT: To illustrate my point: this is like being angry because you just bought a 'new' car and there 8 miles on it...

If you buy cars online without seeing them in person, you have a lot more to worry about than 8 miles on the counter.

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

HelenOster
That's me!
4,587 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 20, 2012 01:18 |  #74

hhuy888 wrote in post #14453976 (external link)
I really liked my 5D3 and decided to sell a bunch of stuff to get enough money to buy another 5D3.

Just got the delievery today, opened the brown box and surprised to see the camera box was pretty messed up already...

Please accept my most sincere apologies for the frustration and disappointment this has caused; you didn't mention what the response was from our customer service department when you called in to report this in the first instance - I assume that they refused to take it back - hence your posting?

Unfortunately, it isn't possible for me to ID your transaction from your posting, without an order number. If you would like to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com (external link), I will of course give this my immediate attention.

Could you also advise me of the date and time of your call to the CS department, plus the number you called from. I will be able to access the recording of your call and identify who it was who refused to assist you.

There is a possibility that this unit was taken out of the box in-store to show to a customer, but without further details it isn't possible for me to confirm - but I can assure you that we DO NOT send out used goods as new; as with all other decent retailers, we return faulty or used items to the vendor for a partial credit/for refurbishment or sell them as open box or used.

However, as most vendors allow retailers to return equipment as new, because of over-stocks, exchanges etc. there is no doubt that unscrupulous or careless retailers could package up customer returns and send them back to the manufacturer as new, which could then form part of the inventory for sending out to other retailers. We can’t inspect the contents of the packages received into the warehouse – or they become ‘open box’.
If the manufacturer doesn't check the equipment before sending it back out, from the customer's perspective it is the retailer who looks bad, even though it may well have not been their fault.

At Adorama we do have liberal return policies and there is no doubt that on occasion this is taken advantage of - however we are clear that this does not exempt us from checking any and all returns, but some retailers don't. The problem is that we are all relying upon humans to carry out the required procedures at every point in the transaction, which can, and does, result in mistakes at any place along the line.

If a returned item is not in MINT condition it will be transferred to a store bin as a demo or floor model, sold as open box, returned to the vendor or sold via our used department.

If an Adorama customer has any concerns of any kind about a unit purchased from our website, we offer a 30-day returns period; you only need email or call in to our customer service department.

Once again my deepest apologies, both for our failure to send you a mint copy, and for the subsequent failings of our customer service department to serve you well, and I look forward to hearing from you: Helen@adorama.com (external link)

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,868 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 20, 2012 01:23 |  #75

HelenOster wrote in post #14457752 (external link)
At Adorama we do have liberal return policies and there is no doubt that on occasion this is taken advantage of

I can only imagine how often that must be abused by unscrupulous buyers.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

sponsored links

19,513 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama Sells Used Scratched Up Camera as New_ Very Disappointed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.