Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 15 May 2012 (Tuesday) 09:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop to DPP problem

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2012 12:30 |  #16

Plumtreelad wrote in post #14450681 (external link)
Thanks Lowner. So, Download RAW images to DPP , bulk change to TIFF and send to Photoshop?
Is that it.

When you talk about "bulk change to tiff", that makes me cringe, because I only go into the Photoshop editor if/when I need to, which is certainly not for the "bulk" of my photos. When you convert to a tiff, you end up with a huge tiff file/copy of your photo alongside of the Raw. It's a very inefficient use of resources unless going to Photoshop is truly "value added".

It's up to you and your preferred workflow. But the key consideration is what do you need to do in the Photoshop editor, and what is the most efficient way of doing the things you need to do?

If it was me and I had Photoshop CS5/CS6, I'd look at whether I could streamline my PS tasks, and put them into actions that I could run on a batch of photos using the PS Image Processor and such. If so, I'd look at the Camera Raw processor and Bridge to do batch conversions and to run through the Image Processor, and avoid creating tiff copies altogether, unless I needed to save "project files" for individual images that couldn't be batch-processed. That way I could have output jpegs, which I'd then use and either archive or delete them.

But, know that I am quite devoted to a "Raw workflow". I work in my Raw processor to maximize what I can do with the Raw file, and I don't often need to resort to the Photoshop editor. Sure, a few years ago Raw processors were quite limited in their capabilities and so going into the PS editor was more routine, but today's Raw processors are quite capable of producing a "final product" for what my needs are!

If preparing a photo for a large print, well that has some "special considerations", although I've done plenty of large prints directly from my Raw processor, which, for "serious projects" is Lightroom, but the same could be said for Camera Raw in CS5/6 except the printing process in CSx is different. But even DPP has a Print function that I wouldn't be adverse to using if/when it served the purpose!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 18, 2012 13:39 |  #17

I should say that I don't do anything in bulk. I save my RAW originals and work on selected images one by one which then get saved as TIFF files.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.com (external link)

Plumtreelad
THREAD ­ STARTER
270 posts
Joined Sep 2010

May 21, 2012 00:52 |  #18

tonylong wrote in post #14451222 (external link)
When you talk about "bulk change to tiff", that makes me cringe, because I only go into the Photoshop editor if/when I need to, which is certainly not for the "bulk" of my photos. When you convert to a tiff, you end up with a huge tiff file/copy of your photo alongside of the Raw. It's a very inefficient use of resources unless going to Photoshop is truly "value added".

It's up to you and your preferred workflow. But the key consideration is what do you need to do in the Photoshop editor, and what is the most efficient way of doing the things you need to do?

If it was me and I had Photoshop CS5/CS6, I'd look at whether I could streamline my PS tasks, and put them into actions that I could run on a batch of photos using the PS Image Processor and such. If so, I'd look at the Camera Raw processor and Bridge to do batch conversions and to run through the Image Processor, and avoid creating tiff copies altogether, unless I needed to save "project files" for individual images that couldn't be batch-processed. That way I could have output jpegs, which I'd then use and either archive or delete them.

But, know that I am quite devoted to a "Raw workflow". I work in my Raw processor to maximize what I can do with the Raw file, and I don't often need to resort to the Photoshop editor. Sure, a few years ago Raw processors were quite limited in their capabilities and so going into the PS editor was more routine, but today's Raw processors are quite capable of producing a "final product" for what my needs are!

If preparing a photo for a large print, well that has some "special considerations", although I've done plenty of large prints directly from my Raw processor, which, for "serious projects" is Lightroom, but the same could be said for Camera Raw in CS5/6 except the printing process in CSx is different. But even DPP has a Print function that I wouldn't be adverse to using if/when it served the purpose!

Tonylong, thank you for your advice. By Raw Processor do you mean something like DPP or its equivalent? ALthough I have been taking photographs for a long time, adjustment and editing are well underdeveloped skills and I really am in the foothills! Is your suggestion that I should download in Raw, use DPP for the adjustment, cropping etc and then save as jpegs and only go via CS5 if there is a more sophisticated edit/crop required?

5D Mk III|7D |1DmkIV |10 -22 |24 -105 F4 IS L | 35 F2 IS | 70-200 F2.8 IS II L | 85 1.8 | 300 F2.8 IS MK II L|1.4 Extender MK III |
flickr (external link)
david kissman photography (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 21, 2012 01:35 |  #19

Plumtreelad wrote in post #14461760 (external link)
Tonylong, thank you for your advice. By Raw Processor do you mean something like DPP or its equivalent? ALthough I have been taking photographs for a long time, adjustment and editing are well underdeveloped skills and I really am in the foothills! Is your suggestion that I should download in Raw, use DPP for the adjustment, cropping etc and then save as jpegs and only go via CS5 if there is a more sophisticated edit/crop required?

OK, I'm suggesting that if you are shooting Raw, and unless you need "fancy" processing that only Photoshop can do, keep your images in the Raw format and don't bother with Converting them to tiff to process in Photoshop!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,467 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 21, 2012 03:03 |  #20

tonylong wrote in post #14461871 (external link)
OK, I'm suggesting that if you are shooting Raw, and unless you need "fancy" processing that only Photoshop can do, keep your images in the Raw format and don't bother with Converting them to tiff to process in Photoshop!

And I'd add, don't bother with converting to jpgs either until and when you need one for a specific purpose, which might be posting on a web site, attaching to an e-mail or having a print made in a lab - all of which would need different sized and maybe differently cropped jpgs. So make your jpg according to the needs of the moment and after you have sent it on its merry way, delete it ruthlessly. As long as you have your Raw with the DPP edits saved inside it and a backup copy somewhere safe, (if the DPP editing has been sufficient) you don't need anything else.

Elie / אלי

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop to DPP problem
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.