Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 19 May 2012 (Saturday) 03:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Sells Used Scratched Up Camera as New_ Very Disappointed

this thread is locked
Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 20, 2012 23:41 |  #121

Invertalon wrote in post #14461522 (external link)
What exactly do you feel you need to prove by stating legal gibberish?

Well it's pretty basic isn't it? If a retailer didn't fix such an error, they would be operating outside of consumer law.

So there's no need for people to hold hands and sing Kumbayah as if theres something fantastic about getting this made right.

There's nothing fantastic happening here, nor is there any need for a consumer to feel "greatful" that a retailer will fix the error because it's the law.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

sponsored links
D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 21, 2012 00:04 |  #122

fotoworx wrote in post #14461571 (external link)
Well it's pretty basic isn't it? If a retailer didn't fix such an error, they would be operating outside of consumer law.

So there's no need for people to hold hands and sing Kumbayah as if theres something fantastic about getting this made right.

There's nothing fantastic happening here, nor is there any need for a consumer to feel "greatful" that a retailer will fix the error because it's the law.

There's the letter of the law, and the spirit of the law.
Being forced to do what's right, or
Wanting to do what's right.
Adorama seems to take it way past merely obeying a government regulation. Something tells me they would do it whether the government said to, or not, and they genuinely seem to care about their customers, not their customer's money.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

May 21, 2012 00:04 |  #123

fotoworx wrote in post #14461571 (external link)
... So there's no need for people to hold hands and sing Kumbayah as if theres something fantastic about getting this made right. ...

That's the part that gets me. I just can't relate to the whole idea of falling in love with companies. I know, I'm a horrible consumer.

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 21, 2012 00:19 |  #124

CameraClicker wrote in post #14461637 (external link)
they genuinely seem to care about their customers, not their customer's money.

Honestly, a business is in business to make money nothing more nothing less. It's make believe to not think that.

Customer service isn't something to be greatful for, it's something that a consumer should expect.

Yes Helen is wonderful Ambassador (and a nice person) for her company on POTN, it's fantastic marketing and a fantastic PR excercise for Adorama considering the huge and intimate closeness to a huge potential market base of customers and a very cheap way of dramatic word of mouth advertising.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Thorrulz
Goldmember
3,786 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 21, 2012 00:27 |  #125

I worked for a company that had a public relations person such as Helen. While the individual was helpful to a fault and a great public speaker they actually were just in charge of damage control that masked a seriously flawed production and delivery system. I can't/won't say Adorama is unfixable but until they aknowledge there is a problem they won't care enough to fix it.

I don't dispute Helen is genuine in her caring and honesty in wanting to satisfy the customer. Her presence here is evidence of that. Unfortunately that's a two edged sword in the fact that she is needed on this board and others as to which she has already acknowledged. Logically one should ask themselves why there are so many "Bash Adorama" threads if you want to put it that way and very few "Bash B & H Photo" threads? Most likely B & H has a better system for handling not just the product but the information relating to it.

My dealings with online retailers never become personal, at least not anymore. Because like in any relationship, love one minute can turn into hate the next. I don't want the hassle of dealing with customer service representitives, or at the very least keep it at a minimum.

Initially I did frequently do business with Adorama and they did a good job. Many times they were a few dollars cheaper than B & H Photo and that was and still is important to myself and the business I am running part time. But after I began ordering from B & H, I noticed a trend in how much quicker the responses were to my inquiries and professional manner in which they represented their business.
Not to say Adorama's way is bad, but I always had the feeling I was being handed off to someone else when making a request for information. Adorama lost a few sales to myself and I suppose to a few other potential buyers with that type of presentation.

I really like the retailers that I do my primary business with now such as B & H for my camera equipment and also Newegg for my computer parts. Those two businesses mirror each other in knowing what the customer wants and more importantly what they don't want to deal with.

And lastly I do wish Helen and Adorama the best and she nor anyone reading this post shouldn't take it personally. If you do think I am knocking their business practices try to see it from a businessmans perspective. Less time spent seeking info or returning merchandise and producing your own product is always good for business.

Flickr (external link)
D800 I Nikon 200 f2 VR 1 I Nikon 200 f2 ED AI-S I Nikon 135 f2 DC I Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 I Nikon 50 f/1.4G I Nikon 85 f/1.8G I Pentax 645D I SMC FA 645 75 F2.8 I SMC FA 645 45-85 F4.5 I SMC FA 645 200 F4
My sister, the professional baker and cake decorator once told me that my camera takes great pics. My reply was that I thought her oven baked great cakes.:lol:

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 21, 2012 00:58 |  #126

Thorrulz wrote in post #14461697 (external link)
......I can't/won't say Adorama is unfixable but until they aknowledge there is a problem they won't care enough to fix it.

Yes, there have been problems, and developing my role was an acknowledgement of them; one of my key responsibilities isn't actually responding to online customer complaints / queries.....it is to take those issues directly from our customers, to our management team, to improve every aspect of our service to customers.

Testament to that is the Adorama feedback on Resellerratings: June 2005 3.75/10. May 2012 9.63/10.
Not yet the 'perfect 10', but headed that way.

I'm present on (I think!) every photography board and most Flickr groups, plus Facebook, Twitter, Google + and Linked In. Every customer who writes a complaint or suggestion via Biz Rate, Buy.com or on our website gets a personal response from me - and if they are suggesting a way we could improve, their contribution is acknowledged and given serious consideration.

BTW, still no word from the OP.........

hhuy888
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 21, 2012 02:19 |  #127

Hi Helen and all,
I had a long weekend and just got on the computer to check POTN quickly.
1st thing i did was to send Helen an email and now just to let everyone know that I appreciate all of your comments.
I did not check the actualtions because both my wife and I agreed that the camera and some accessories looked used; therefore, we just took some images of the items, then boxed everything up to wait for Monday to contact Adorama and return.
I am going to spend some time to read what I have missed the last 24hours in this thread now.

hhuy

hhuy888
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,002 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 21, 2012 04:03 |  #128

It looked to me that besides some funny jokes I guess just trying to cheer up, most people either agreed or disagreed with my posting about this camera transaction/matter openly in this forum instead of dealing with Adorama privately.
I understand the Adorama would fix the problem either way. The only difference is things either solved privately or with the acknowledment of members in this forum.
Again, my intention was not trying to make Adorama to look bad, but just stating the fact what happened to my case.
Adorama is a big professional store, I am sure they will continue to refine their system and strike to be the best.
Many thanks to Helen (who is well loved by members here, including myself) staying on top of things and the members here who took their time to read, comment and respond.
Have a great new week, everyone.

hhuy

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 21, 2012 06:02 |  #129

fotoworx wrote in post #14461679 (external link)
Honestly, a business is in business to make money nothing more nothing less. It's make believe to not think that.

that is an opinion not a fact. presenting it as a fact does not one make.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 21, 2012 06:16 |  #130

You-by-Lou wrote in post #14462273 (external link)
that is an opinion not a fact. presenting it as a fact does not one make.

Ok I believe you, Adorama is not in business to make money.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 21, 2012 07:06 |  #131

cacawcacaw wrote in post #14461638 (external link)
That's the part that gets me. I just can't relate to the whole idea of falling in love with companies. I know, I'm a horrible consumer.

I think there is a huge difference between treating a company and their reps with respect and loving that company. I think most pro-Adorama folks here are more in the respectful camp. So while Adorama wants to make a profit and most of us want to get the best deal there is still room for a healthy, respectful relationship.

I think the trend, unfortunately, is that too many consumers only want the best deal, and care little or nothing about what they have to do to get it. That is part of the reason we see return policies abused and retailers and manufacturers stuck with more non-defective returns to deal with. It's also why we see people flock to the internet if there is a whiff of a pricing mistake on a retailers web site. More and more people seem to think that is a legitimate "deal".

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 21, 2012 07:07 |  #132

fotoworx wrote in post #14462306 (external link)
Ok I believe you, Adorama is not in business to make money.

Do you know how it all began?

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=hKxGbNXt_Is (external link)

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,812 posts
Gallery: 352 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 21, 2012 07:08 |  #133

fotoworx wrote in post #14461679 (external link)

Customer service isn't something to be greatful for, it's something that a consumer should expect.

Yes Helen is wonderful Ambassador (and a nice person) for her company on POTN, it's fantastic marketing and a fantastic PR excercise for Adorama considering the huge and intimate closeness to a huge potential market base of customers and a very cheap way of dramatic word of mouth advertising.

Expect, perhaps, but not a lot of companies deliver. That is why I personally am grateful for excellent customer service. Customer service is as important as price for me on every purchase I make. So you just blindly buy from anyone, "expecting" customer service? The thought alone scares me.

I haven't been buying from Adorama that long, but they are my first choice going forward based on my experience so far.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 21, 2012 07:12 |  #134

I don't know, Adorama has just always been helpful to me, not just Helen.
And after seeing the way B&H packed a hard drive on this forum, I don't think they'll get my business.

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

randy98mtu
Goldmember
3,812 posts
Gallery: 352 photos
Joined Dec 2007

May 21, 2012 07:13 |  #135

HelenOster wrote in post #14462413 (external link)
Do you know how it all began?

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=hKxGbNXt_Is (external link)

I had never heard that story before, Helen. Really fascinating and shows there are some really great people in this world. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Canon EOS M6 Mark II - EOS R
Donate for Forum Costs

sponsored links

17,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama Sells Used Scratched Up Camera as New_ Very Disappointed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.