Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 21 May 2012 (Monday) 05:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding magazine reqire photos i took

LBP1970
43 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 21, 2012 05:51 |  #1

Hi peeps

I did a wedding shoot back in April, im just about to hand over the final 200 prints the Bride and Groom (B&G) ordered plus a DVD of the same 200 prints with background music

Now, ive just had an inbox from the bride saying a local wedding magazine want to run an article on the wedding and they require high res copies of the day

Do i supply those high res copies or the B&G scan some of there prints to send them

Should i ask for extra money from the B&G or the magazine, or should i not expect any money out of this

Who holds the copyright of the 200 prints, if they do send them scanned prints do i have a say or can the B&G do what they feel with them

Thanks for reading

ps: sorry for the spelling mistake in the title :/

Lee

sponsored links
Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

May 21, 2012 05:57 |  #2

What did your contract state?

Dave Hoffmann

LBP1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 21, 2012 06:03 |  #3

I retain all copyright of the original images i took of the day

I think i made a school boy error not stating what she could or couldn't do with the 200 prints i present them with. Im not even sure i can tell them what they can do with the prints once they have them in their possession. They did pay for them after all.

But i did state i own the copyright of the original images

Can they just send the magazine copies, to be fair she has contacted me straight away so im sure she wants me to send to the magazine direct, which would lead to my next question, How much do i charge per image (UK)

Thanks

Lee

LBP1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 21, 2012 06:05 |  #4

ps: sorry it didnt even occur to me that a magazine would want to use my images of the day so again another error when i drew up the contract

I just assumed id print off 200 photographs plus DVD and that would be the end of the job

I have alot to learn :(

Lee

highway0691
672 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 21, 2012 07:03 |  #5

You could play hard-ball and ask for payment. If payment is not going to happen easily I'd be looking at other ways to make it work for you. I'd be making sure they credit you for the photos and ask for a free add in their magazine. Also something to brag about on your website.

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 21, 2012 09:20 |  #6

highway0691 wrote in post #14462398 (external link)
You could play hard-ball and ask for payment. If payment is not going to happen easily I'd be looking at other ways to make it work for you. I'd be making sure they credit you for the photos and ask for a free add in their magazine. Also something to brag about on your website.

I would. My contracts state for personal use and no commercial use when i give a disc of files. The magazine gas some buck. Add it to you bottom line on her wedding.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 21, 2012 09:27 |  #7

I wold not hold out too much for payment from a magazine. Unless you are on staff, your not going to get much. At least on the fashion side, getting published is considered free advertising. Nobody tries to get published for the money, they do it for the exposure. And the higher up the magazine chain you go, the less you get paid.

I would send them in and require proper credit. Including a mention in the text of the article.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 21, 2012 10:11 |  #8

Mark1 wrote in post #14462894 (external link)
I wold not hold out too much for payment from a magazine. Unless you are on staff, your not going to get much. At least on the fashion side, getting published is considered free advertising. Nobody tries to get published for the money, they do it for the exposure. And the higher up the magazine chain you go, the less you get paid.

I would send them in and require proper credit. Including a mention in the text of the article.

I disagree and this is exactly why they dont pay. Too many photographers consider this free advertisement, get my name out there. magazines do this because newer photographers let them do it to them. Stand your ground. Get paid something. Too many are giving it away. Its destroying the industry. Wrong approach IMHO

Watch this

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE (external link)

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 21, 2012 10:29 |  #9

You are about 70 years to late. This is industry standard. Even Annie L. or Melissa Rodwell don't get paid for their spreads. Wedding magazines may be different. But in the fashion world This is how it is.

As per your well worn video. With fashion magazines... Its not the "amateurs" that will take your place. It is other top pros.

mirrorrim
87 posts
Joined Apr 2012

May 21, 2012 10:42 |  #10

Yes, it sucks for photographers now--but it's the trend in most industries that want exposure in magazines. Most vendors PAY exorbitant amounts to be featured in a magazine. This is a free opportunity, good to brag about to brides/on your website, and keeps your name cycling the local wedding boards.

I don't think this is going to change. And it's not just new photographers agreeing to this, Jasmine Star was asked virtually this same question in an editorial photography workshop a few weeks ago, and she point blank said dont expect any money.

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,947 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 21, 2012 11:24 as a reply to  @ mirrorrim's post |  #11

I'm not 70 years too late. I know whats going on. You missed my point.

If photographers stopped this BS practice and treated their business as a business this would stop. The magazines do this because they can. If all the big names said,,,screw you,,pay me. This would stop. As long as everyone feels its acceptable to give it away for free....the trend will continue and our photography continues to be viewed as "anyone can do it so why pay for it mentality".

Time is money. I dont work for free. Period. This is no different than having a magazine like the Knot tell brides how to demand lower prices from photographers that everyone is all excited about. its the same mentaility. The skill set is viewed as marginal at best because people are giving it away for free.

Stand your ground and don't buy into the mentality. Why let a corporate magazine continue to take advantage of photographers by increasing their bottom line and the expense of a photographers bottom line.

Its such a common practice that the mentality of getting the name out there has backfired on the ones that are doing it. Do you honestly think that some bride is going to remember your 2 sentence of fame line in a story ? They wont let you watermark the images or put you logo on them. Its simply backfiring on those that think its getting their name out there. Everyone has become a dime a dozen. Why ? because everyone buys into it. So, Unless this featured article is about the photographer, the magazine should pay for the files is my opinion.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

LBP1970
THREAD ­ STARTER
43 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 21, 2012 16:56 |  #12

Thanks for everyones input

Im just waiting on an initial email from the magazine to see what they require first then see where it goes from there (maybe they will offer some form of payment)

Either way its been interesting reading your replies

Thank you

Lee

RobKirkwood
Goldmember
1,124 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 21, 2012 17:02 as a reply to  @ LBP1970's post |  #13

A UK wedding magazine won't pay for images - they fill their pages as cheaply as possible, so if you ask for payment they'll go look for another wedding to feature.

When we shot weddings (2006-2011), we had a bridal mag feature some of our shots - we got a credit against each image, and just used it for bragging rights at the time ...that's about the best you can hope for in the UK.

Rob

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 21, 2012 19:21 |  #14

umphotography wrote in post #14463382 (external link)
I'm not 70 years too late. I know whats going on. You missed my point.

And you missed mine. If we had done what you say back then, there would be no need for it now. As the industry standard would be as it should be. But as it stands now, there is no way to get an entire industry to change. Its simply just not going to happen. So we have to deal with it as it is. Stand your ground all you want. And you will simply get passed over. I am not saying I dont agree with you. But I find it pointless to worry about it.

And it is a shame you dont work for free. You have no idea how many doors it has opened for me. The key that so many miss or cant figure out how to find, is recognizing when the opertunity it offers is bigger then the paycheck will ever be. One example...I shot an in store event for a local shop 2 years ago. I had nothing scheduled so I did it for fun more then anything else. Well now I have an in with the local Paul Mitchel beauty school and get all my hair and make up done for any of my sessions for free. It is usually a team of 2-3 that comes with a supervisor. They are better than any other "pro hair" person I have worked with. The school also owns a 4 story building but only uses 2 of the floors. And I now also have free reign over the 2 empty floors of an AWESOME "grungy" building. They have about 10 shooting lanes. And more room than I could ever fill. I would have never have gotten any of this if I didnt work for "free".

PhotoMatte
Goldmember
1,707 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2008

May 21, 2012 19:43 |  #15

I don't know what the copyright laws are in the UK. My contract, here in the States, says my clients have specific personal printing rights (if they buy the DVD package), but I always maintain image copyright.
As for giving it away for free, you simply have to weigh the costs versus the benefits. I let a wedding venue use some of my images and didn't charge them a thing, just asked for a photo credit. From that one photo I've now gotten 9 bookings at that venue...a very generous return on my 'investment' IMHO.

the site (external link)
the blog (external link)
Smugmug (external link)
My gear: Canon, Macintosh, Adobe

sponsored links

2,871 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding magazine reqire photos i took
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.