Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 19 May 2012 (Saturday) 17:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Warranty ? on a 70-300L IS USM Grey Import

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

May 19, 2012 17:10 |  #1

Budget dictates I need to buy a grey copy. I have heard that L series lenses have an International Warranty so a couple of questions:-

A] Do L series lenses come with an International Warranty? - so can I get it fixed anywhere? (Obviously I can't read the warranty without having bought the lens)**
B]** I've heard that HDEW Cameras take out the warranty card - probably to protect the identity of the grey dustributor supplying them - anyone bought a lens from them in the UK and is it true the warranty card is missing?
C] I'm in the UK - Can any UK owners confirm if to get warranty in the first year Canon just ask for proof of purchase, or do they also want to see the warranty card?

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

sponsored links
lannes
Goldmember
4,370 posts
Joined Dec 2009

May 19, 2012 20:02 |  #2

I noticed lately, that maybe canon have gone to a country based warranty, the last few lenses I have got only came with the local warranty card, not sure if the dealer is removing the international one.

I did note on the australian Canon, that they explicitly mention that Canon warranties are only applicable on equipment where.

"This warranty is valid only for Products that are purchased new and unused
(a) in Australia or New Zealand; and
(b) sourced from Canon Australia Pty Ltd or Canon New Zealand Ltd (“Canon”).
The Customer must provide the original proof of purchase which demonstrates compliance with the above conditions to receive any services under this warranty."

So as usual it's as clear as mud.

1Dx, 1DM4, 5DM2, 7D, EOS-M, 8-15L, 17-40L, 24 TSE II, 24-105L, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 200L f/2.8, 300L f/4, 70-200L II, 70-300L, 400Lf/5.6

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

May 20, 2012 09:09 as a reply to  @ lannes's post |  #3

Thanks for the info lannes - appreciated.
It's the uncertainty I dislike.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,995 posts
Gallery: 542 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 21, 2012 12:58 |  #4

In the UK at least the legal contract is with the supplier and the purchaser. If you buy any product it is actually up to the retailer to deal with any repairs. Now in the photo industry at least an authorised retailer is going to use Canon to do any warranty repairs. Along with this, as a service to both the retailer and the customer, many companies will actually bypass the retailer and do warranty work direct. This is though at an added cost to the company that has imported the product and distributed it to the authorised dealer network. This is an extra service that is being offered to you. If you buy a product and that product was not brought into the market by the official distributor, is it really right to expect them to pay for service on a product that they did not import?
Of course if you buy a product from a company based here in the UK that is fine as you still have your warranty, as it is a statutory right, and it will be up to your retailer to put right. If you have a problem with a product sold in the UK and go to your retailer, then they may actually use any repairer that they want to to carry out the repairs. It will usually though be the wholesale supplier of the product that carries out the work, as they will not normally charge the retailer to do this.
One word of warning though, especially when dealing with retailers on Ebay and the like, many of them will seem to claim to be UK based, but when you look at the terms they are sending the product direct from China/Far East. Then you may have a problem as you will have no support from the UK wholesale chain or from your suddenly off shore retailer.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

davem01
91 posts
Joined Jun 2008

May 21, 2012 13:07 as a reply to  @ BigAl007's post |  #5

I have bought a couple of lenses from Simplyelectonics - lower cost than HDEW for most things i've seen. Had a problem with the focus not working on my 15-85 when it was just out of the year warranty (15 months) and Canon UK repaired it for free - cant praise the service of the Canon repair center too much, they were fantastic
I bought my 70-300L from Simply as well - big saving
good luck with your decision, its a fantastic lens

My Gear: 5D mk iv, EF 24-105L, 70-300L, 100L IS Macro, 17-40L, 100-400L mkii

Gnhntn
494 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

May 21, 2012 16:34 |  #6

I just checked B&H's site. They have a good explanation on Grey Marley items. Here is the link to it. Hope this helps.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com/find/HelpCenter/​USGrey.jsp (external link)

"Why is it that children know how to forgive and forget...But adults forget how to forgive?"

Submariner
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

May 22, 2012 07:57 as a reply to  @ Gnhntn's post |  #7

Thanks guys for the posts.
Whereas I originally thought if you got a grey Canon then it's up to the retailer; however it seems strange to me that some say Canon repair centres will repair grey products within the warranty period.
I wonder if the cost of this repair is actually paid by Canon International not say Canon UK?

As I friend of mine said - think of all the cameras bought in duty free shops! Do you think these customers would be penalised for spending their money with a manufacturer!

Likewise apparrently L series lenses have an international warranty! So should it matter where you buy it?!

Sounds as clear as mud to me.
Just for the 1st Lens and the body I'm saving £450! Hmmmmm - life is never simple is it.

I always like to try and shop locally, but maybe one should ask the question why are grey imports cheaper? In a fair world - I'd say their should be one price globally. Afterall loyalty is a 2 way street.

sponsored links

2,179 views & 0 likes for this thread
Warranty ? on a 70-300L IS USM Grey Import
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.