Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 08 Jan 2010 (Friday) 00:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pixel Flash Battery Pack TD-381 - Notes

MrScott
243 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 21, 2012 17:23 |  #226

ultimachi wrote in post #14464798 (external link)
Are the ones from Amazon the newest revision?

If you mean the ability to use 4 or 8 batteries, double blinky lights, threaded screw provided and the weather proof shoe connection - then yes its a new one? I got one on Saturday the 19th, ordered on the 15th.

Looks like it went up $7 since last monday!
http://www.amazon.com …0_21431760_C1_c​s_sce_dp_1 (external link)

sponsored links
SpartanWarrior
401 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 11, 2013 11:43 |  #227

Great review I am thinking of buying it also for my 600 EX RT, but
1, will it also work with my Metz 58 AF-2?
2, does the Pixel TD-381 also work in ETTL or only in Manual flash mode?
Thanks.

Canon 5D III, EF 24-105 f4, EF 16-35 2.8 L II, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, EF 100 2.8 IS L, EF 2x III, EF 1.4x III, 500D 77mm close up filter, Kenko extension tubes set, SpeedLight 600 EX RT, Metz 58 AF-2, Pixel Kings, Benro C3780T Tripod, Benro G3 Ball Head.
www.chrisksphotography​.com (external link)

Johnny ­ V
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 11, 2013 11:47 |  #228

>2, does the Pixel TD-381 also work in ETTL or only in Manual flash mode?

Strobe works normally.... the TD-381 just extends the battery life. Doesn't change the functionality of the strobe.

Fear the Gear! Canon 5D3/6D/50D/T2i/EOS-M; 17-40L f4; 70-200 f4; 50 f1.4; 18-55 f3.5 IS; Sigma 85 f1.4; Tamron 85 f1.8; Canon 35 f2-IS; 580EX; Comet Strobes; Smugmug 20% Discount  (external link)

SpartanWarrior
401 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 11, 2013 11:52 |  #229

Johnny V wrote in post #16111048 (external link)
>2, does the Pixel TD-381 also work in ETTL or only in Manual flash mode?

Strobe works normally.... the TD-381 just extends the battery life. Doesn't change the functionality of the strobe.

Ok because I read on the Nikon model only the newer one work in iTTL, just wondered if that was also the case with canon, know idea on the Metz flash?

Canon 5D III, EF 24-105 f4, EF 16-35 2.8 L II, EF 70-200 2.8 IS L II, EF 100 2.8 IS L, EF 2x III, EF 1.4x III, 500D 77mm close up filter, Kenko extension tubes set, SpeedLight 600 EX RT, Metz 58 AF-2, Pixel Kings, Benro C3780T Tripod, Benro G3 Ball Head.

Johnny ­ V
Goldmember
2,282 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 11, 2013 11:57 |  #230

From what I've read about the Nikon model it takes a special cable or something to work properly. Not sure about the Metz.

Fear the Gear! Canon 5D3/6D/50D/T2i/EOS-M; 17-40L f4; 70-200 f4; 50 f1.4; 18-55 f3.5 IS; Sigma 85 f1.4; Tamron 85 f1.8; Canon 35 f2-IS; 580EX; Comet Strobes; Smugmug 20% Discount  (external link)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 11, 2013 12:39 |  #231

SpartanWarrior wrote in post #16111033 (external link)
Great review I am thinking of buying it also for my 600 EX RT, but
1, will it also work with my Metz 58 AF-2?
2, does the Pixel TD-381 also work in ETTL or only in Manual flash mode?
Thanks.

1) A resounding NO - the Pixel TD-381 is dedicated solely to the Canon-fit HV port because of the plug. It will not drive any other fitting even if you changed the plug as the monitor circuitry is different for each type of flash unit. If you want an external power pack which will run EITHER your 600 EX-RT OR your Metz 58 AF-2 OR both at the same time then look at the Godox PB960 (link) (external link). You would need a PB-Cx lead for the Canon flash and an PB-Mx lead for the Metz. With careful selection of vendor, you should be able to get both, although quite a few only sell the Cx and Nikon-fit Nx leads. Here's one vendor (external link)(untried by me) who lists all four varieties; notice that the price does NOT include a power cable at all, it's extra.

BEWARE, however, this vendor and many others are offering the PB820 compatible lead - it will work on the PB960 but it doesn't have the bayonet-fitting DIN plug, merely a push-fit. The push-fit is NOT as good as the bayonet for security. Check which variety you get before you buy.

Also be aware that many vendors are supplying the US-pin charger. The EU-pin charger is better for our purposes as it doesn't need an adapter. Here's the link (external link) to the people I bought from.; I got the EU-pin charger plus PB-Cx cable (bayonet). If you ask really nicely, you may just get the PB-Mx cable for nothing. I got a 2nd PB-Cx cable for that low, lower, lowest price when I bought the battery pack! NICE, kind people!! ;)

BTW you have a choice of colour - 'Orrible Orange or Boring Black. Any which you see in Gangrene Green is not the PB960 but the PB820 - nowhere near as good for a variety of reasons.

2) The Pixel TD-3xx range of external power packs are simply an alternative source of power for the flash of your choice. I can't imagine how they could possibly affect use of any particular mode on the flash unit. They simply provide high voltage power into the side of the flash unit (the HV port), and nothing else. Unless someone knows differently, of course.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

SpartanWarrior
401 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 11, 2013 13:42 |  #232

Whortleberry wrote in post #16111191 (external link)
1) A resounding NO - the Pixel TD-381 is dedicated solely to the Canon-fit HV port because of the plug. It will not drive any other fitting even if you changed the plug as the monitor circuitry is different for each type of flash unit. If you want an external power pack which will run EITHER your 600 EX-RT OR your Metz 58 AF-2 OR both at the same time then look at the Godox PB960 (link) (external link). You would need a PB-Cx lead for the Canon flash and an PB-Mx lead for the Metz. With careful selection of vendor, you should be able to get both, although quite a few only sell the Cx and Nikon-fit Nx leads. Here's one vendor (external link)(untried by me) who lists all four varieties; notice that the price does NOT include a power cable at all, it's extra.

BEWARE, however, this vendor and many others are offering the PB820 compatible lead - it will work on the PB960 but it doesn't have the bayonet-fitting DIN plug, merely a push-fit. The push-fit is NOT as good as the bayonet for security. Check which variety you get before you buy.

Also be aware that many vendors are supplying the US-pin charger. The EU-pin charger is better for our purposes as it doesn't need an adapter. Here's the link (external link) to the people I bought from.; I got the EU-pin charger plus PB-Cx cable (bayonet). If you ask really nicely, you may just get the PB-Mx cable for nothing. I got a 2nd PB-Cx cable for that low, lower, lowest price when I bought the battery pack! NICE, kind people!! ;)

BTW you have a choice of colour - 'Orrible Orange or Boring Black. Any which you see in Gangrene Green is not the PB960 but the PB820 - nowhere near as good for a variety of reasons.

2) The Pixel TD-3xx range of external power packs are simply an alternative source of power for the flash of your choice. I can't imagine how they could possibly affect use of any particular mode on the flash unit. They simply provide high voltage power into the side of the flash unit (the HV port), and nothing else. Unless someone knows differently, of course.

Thanks I might just buy the Pixel for my canon flash, also I have ordered from LinkDelight, just received this yesterday
http://www.ebay.co.uk …ights&hash=item​4844c3d33a (external link)
great service and a great LED Light for portraits and weddings, can't believe how powerful it was also;)

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,719 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jul 11, 2013 13:47 |  #233

SpartanWarrior wrote in post #16111362 (external link)
Thanks I might just buy the Pixel for my canon flash, also I have ordered from LinkDelight, just received this yesterday
http://www.ebay.co.uk …ights&hash=item​4844c3d33a (external link)
great service and a great LED Light for portraits and weddings, can't believe how powerful it was also;)

I have four of the Pixel TD-381 units - great value for money and very fast recycling (but not as fast as the much more expensive Godox, which I also have).

Yes, I've found Link Delight very reliable - yet another purchase on it's way at this moment - and very helpful indeed with slightly out-of-the-ordinary requests.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 12, 2014 12:12 |  #234

Sorry to kick this thread up but I just put in an order for 2 of the TD-381 for $40 each on Amazon. I'm looking to keep the cycle on my off camera 600EX faster and last longer.

One questions, do I need any extra cables for the 600ex or the pack comes with everything I need?

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

OceanRipple
244 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Sep 12, 2014 14:04 |  #235

8 AA cells & then it's just plug and play. The ticking noise is normal.

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Sep 12, 2014 15:32 |  #236

Awesome. Thanks

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

sponsored links

72,286 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pixel Flash Battery Pack TD-381 - Notes
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.