Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 19 May 2012 (Saturday) 03:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Sells Used Scratched Up Camera as New_ Very Disappointed

this thread is locked
HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 21, 2012 14:58 |  #166

cacawcacaw wrote in post #14464299 (external link)
Helen, there's got to be a better way of letting the customer know how the schedule will affect their order. I love Amazon's straightforward statement: "Want it delivered Tuesday, May 22? Order it in the next 4 hours and 5 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout." Followed by a button for more options.

We are pretty clear about shipping times:

http://www.adorama.com​/catalog.tpl?op=faq#SH​IPPING (external link)
Delivery TimesAdorama Camera makes every effort to get your order to you as soon as possible. Orders for in-stock items placed on business days up to 7:00 PM ET (Eastern Time) are generally shipped the same day (subject to verification, click here (external link) for details).

Please note weekend orders, placed on Fridays after 1:00 PM ET will be processed on Monday.

But comparisons with Amazon are a bit wild; as I posted in another POTN thread, yesterday:

Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) American multinational (external link) electronic (external link) commerce company with headquarters in Seattle, Washington ..… the world's largest online retailer....…has separate retail websites for United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Jappan and China.

Fulfilment centers are located in AZ, DE,IN, KY, NV, NH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WA, Mississauga, Ontario, British Columbia; 4 locations in Scotland, 5 locations in England, 3 locations in Wales, 5 locations in France, 4 locations in Germany, Italy, Slovakia, 4 locations in Japan, 3 locations in China.

Nobody from Amazon present on POTN that you can be on first name terms with.....

Adorama.com. Family business with office in NYC, and a Distribution Center in NJ. :wink:

.... and me

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Although I do find it a little off-putting that the owner of Adorama prefers to compromise his company's customer service over taking on a non-Jewish partner.

But he can't, and still be an observant Jew! It's expressly forbidden in the 10 Commandments

Exodus 20:8-11

“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."

Not all of our staff are Jewish, but nobody works at Adorama on the Sabbath or Holy Days.

Did you see the You Tube link I posted a page or two back? That is still a very real memory for many.

sponsored links
timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 21, 2012 15:25 |  #167

Wow... this thread... :rolleyes:

Although I do find it a little off-putting that the owner of Adorama prefers to compromise his company's customer service over taking on a non-Jewish partner. And it's not a matter of "squeezing more money out of the customers" - it's a matter of making life a little easier for existing customers. And for many people, Saturday is camera shopping day while Sunday is church/family day. But it's his business, his choice. Just as it's my choice to decide whether the inconvenience is offset by some other factor.

FWIW, I think it's great that B&H & Adorama close their doors in order observe their religious holidays (and this is coming from an atheist). Shows there is something they value more than money. The worst part about it is that folks like Helen and Henry from B&H have to constantly come on these forums to defend the decision.

Seriously, Saturday is "camera shopping day"?? There are 6 other days in the week, and just because some Christians decide they go to church on Sundays doesn't mean Jewish people should go against their faith and work Saturdays. WTF.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,506 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 21, 2012 15:33 |  #168

timnosenzo wrote in post #14464562 (external link)
Wow... this thread... :rolleyes:

FWIW, I think it's great that B&H & Adorama close their doors in order observe their religious holidays (and this is coming from an atheist). Shows there is something they value more than money. The worst part about it is that folks like Helen and Henry from B&H have to constantly come on these forums to defend the decision.

A good time to let you all know that next Sunday and Monday are Shavuot - and we are closed....

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Shavuot (external link)

Joe.Kelley
322 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 21, 2012 15:39 |  #169

It bothers me more that Chick-Fil-A is closed on Sunday for religious reasons. What is a 5d Mk III delivered a day earlier compared to a yummy spicy chicken biscuit?

Fuji X100s | Sony RX100 II | 5D MKIII (SOLD)| 35L (SOLD) | 70-200 L IS MKII (SOLD)| GoPro Hero3 Black
2 Einsteins | CyberSync System | Vagabond Mini

NU27D
464 posts
Joined Dec 2010

May 21, 2012 16:24 as a reply to  @ Joe.Kelley's post |  #170

What have I learned here?

That Adorama was the vendor who sent out an expensive product in less than like knew condition.

That the OP was absolutely right to alert others to his experiences.

That some folks automatically assume the customer is unreasonable and give companies carte blanche.

That someone named Helen employed by Adorama has faced the music with style, grace and savior faire on behalf of Adorama.

That my own, less than satisfactory experiences with Adorama should be put aside as they are not particularly recent.

That anyone who faces the lion in the den like Helen has here is worthy of my business.

That $#it happens but some clean it up much better than others!

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

May 21, 2012 18:02 |  #171

The human head weights approx 14 lbs.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 21, 2012 18:10 |  #172

You-by-Lou wrote in post #14465250 (external link)

:lol: Now that's funny.

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
2,862 posts
Joined May 2010

May 21, 2012 18:24 |  #173

In reference to taking a non-Jewish partner and being open on hoildays:

HelenOster wrote in post #14464415 (external link)
... But he can't, and still be an observant Jew! It's expressly forbidden in the 10 Commandments ...

True for a company that is solely owned by an orthodox Jew. But one of the articles I read said that if they were to take on a non-Jewish business partner (not an employee, a partner) they would not personally be working on the Sabbath. I guess the reasoning is that, when Saturday rolls around, all of the employees would be working for the partner. The article indicated that it is a viable way for a strictly orthodox Jew to keep the company's doors open on Saturday.

I don't really care what Adorama does, but I do find the topic of the conflict between traditional values and modern life pretty interesting. The owner must have somehow reconciled the manufacturers of Adorama-labeled merchandise with the situation.

Here's an article (external link) I remembered from years ago, about how some Orthodox Jews devised a plan for spending the day on the Venice boardwalk without "going outside". As I said before, closing on Saturday is a personal/business/reli​gious decision made by your boss, and he has every right to do whatever he feels comfortable doing. It's his business, and this is America.

Okay, this time I really will lighten up. :)

Replacing my Canon 7D, Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm with a Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. I still have the 17-55 and the 30 available for sale.

mpix345
Goldmember
2,870 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 21, 2012 19:07 |  #174

You-by-Lou wrote in post #14465250 (external link)

And apparently you can't pack 20 lbs of crap in to a skull built to hold only 14. Even on POTN. This thread once again proves that.

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 21, 2012 19:18 as a reply to  @ HelenOster's post |  #175

Why am I seeing bible verses in this thread. WTH happened here lol.

Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 21, 2012 19:30 |  #176

eye2i wrote in post #14465547 (external link)
Why am I seeing bible verses in this thread. WTH happened here lol.

It's against POTN rules, but here it is in this thread. Whole quotations from religious scripts for your religious studies.

I really think we can do without this.

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

eye2i
Goldmember
1,791 posts
Joined Jul 2009

May 21, 2012 19:34 |  #177

fotoworx wrote in post #14465594 (external link)
It's against POTN rules, but here it is in this thread. Whole quotations from religious scripts for your religious studies.

Ahhhh. The good ol religion debate. :)

***leaves thread***

D. ­ Vance
Goldmember
4,162 posts
Joined Jan 2011

May 21, 2012 19:40 |  #178

Hey, she wasnt trying to turn ya into Jews; she was just saying, this is what they do, and here's why:

I wonder if the video editors on The Titanic ever went, "Sorry, I can't right now. I'm busy synching the Titanic..."

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 21, 2012 20:19 |  #179

fotoworx wrote in post #14465594 (external link)

CameraClicker wrote in post #14465632 (external link)
Hey, she wasnt trying to turn ya into Jews; she was just saying, this is what they do, and here's why

Seriously - she's obviously explaining why they observe it. You'll be OK.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

stayhumble
Goldmember
1,328 posts
Joined Nov 2010

May 21, 2012 20:19 |  #180
bannedPermanent ban

all joking aside...

y'all really think that 'god' got two lions, tigers, bears, panthers,and hyenas...and put them next to two gazelles, rabbits, and koalas...and they all lived?

There are no rules for a good photograph and there are no excuses for a bad one.
SELLING:40D, 50D, 10-22, Tamron 17-50 non VC, 5D, 14MM II, 24-105, 70-200 f/4 IS, 430EX, 530EX (ALL MINT W/Box)

sponsored links

17,429 views & 0 likes for this thread
Adorama Sells Used Scratched Up Camera as New_ Very Disappointed
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.