Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 May 2012 (Tuesday) 01:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Business name?

Showjumper91
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 22, 2012 01:30 |  #1

Hi, I am trying to think of a business name for my photography. I am mainly doing horse sports (jumping, eventing, etc.) and can't think of anything that sounds good.
I don't mind EquiShots but it doesn't jump out at me. I also don't know whether I should just use my name? On the photos I have at the moment I have KT Photography as the watermark (my name is Katie).
What do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

sponsored links
Bear ­ Dale
"I get 'em pregnant"
4,779 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Mar 2009

May 22, 2012 06:32 |  #2

Showjumper91 wrote in post #14467053 (external link)
I don't mind EquiShots but it doesn't jump out at me.

Jump Shots

Cheers,
Bear Dale

Some of my photos featured on Flickr Bear Dale (external link)

NYC2BGI
846 posts
Joined Feb 2005

May 22, 2012 07:13 |  #3

fotoworx wrote in post #14467624 (external link)
Jump Shots

I like that!

Canon 5D3, 5D2, 40D
EF 50mm f1.4, EF 85mm f1.8,
Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
http://www.facebook.co​m/HightechPix (external link)

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 22, 2012 11:37 |  #4

picturesofexpensivehay​burners.com
;)

A business name could be something like Equine Images.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Showjumper91
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 22, 2012 19:48 |  #5

haha like the hay burners... so true!

Christina.DazzleByDesign
Goldmember
1,973 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 22, 2012 21:38 |  #6

The problem with a name like EquiShots (Im assuming this is a name you like and not the business you currently own) is that name has already been used, many times from a quick check through google.

You could always forgo the overused "Equine" term and use the old term, Equus, in some creative way (I know it isn't the most pleasant to say, lol) - but even that has a lot of photography hits on the search engines. hmm........ I'll think on it :)

5D3 | 7D | 85L II | 70-300L | 24-105L | Nifty Fifty | 600EX-RT_______________
| Facebook (external link) | Website (external link) | Gear List |Flickr (external link) |

cameraperson
816 posts
Joined May 2010

May 22, 2012 22:12 |  #7

EqualTimePhotos
equitation.net
equinora
horsify
galloperblog
gogalloper
hoophit
gethoofin
equalhorses

this thing helps too: http://www.panabee.com​/ (external link)
edit: I'd also look at a place like this for ideas: http://www.horse.com/ (external link)

edit: saddlicious saddlicio.us

Xsi, 18-55

Showjumper91
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 23, 2012 03:03 |  #8

Hmm good points. I live in Australia so I only look for names that aren't used in Australia I was also thinking something with Esroh in it (horse spelt backwards) Would that be a bit too common as well?

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

May 23, 2012 03:08 |  #9

The Mane Event
Remember The Mane
Hoof Hearted (think about it for a second...)
Hay Now!

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,094 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

May 23, 2012 08:00 |  #10

Showjumper91 wrote in post #14467053 (external link)
Hi, I am trying to think of a business name for my photography. I am mainly doing horse sports (jumping, eventing, etc.) and can't think of anything that sounds good.
I don't mind EquiShots but it doesn't jump out at me. I also don't know whether I should just use my name? On the photos I have at the moment I have KT Photography as the watermark (my name is Katie).
What do you think? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

If you are going to do equestrian photography and nothing else, ever, then go a deeper into equestrian jargon to look for a name--something that will register with insiders that we outsiders probably wouldn't get at all.

If you actually expect to be doing other photography, then don't use an equestrian-centric business name at all--it would just be a negative factor for the other genres. That's why a lot of photographers just use their own names for their businesses.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

cameraperson
816 posts
Joined May 2010

May 23, 2012 11:33 |  #11

You can have more than one website.

Xsi, 18-55

golfecho
(I will regret that)
1,868 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2007

May 23, 2012 11:44 |  #12

RDKirk wrote in post #14472833 (external link)
If you are going to do equestrian photography and nothing else, ever, then go a deeper into equestrian jargon to look for a name--something that will register with insiders that we outsiders probably wouldn't get at all.

If you actually expect to be doing other photography, then don't use an equestrian-centric business name at all--it would just be a negative factor for the other genres. That's why a lot of photographers just use their own names for their businesses.

^^^ - what he said - ^^^

Facebook (external link) or Website (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,094 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

May 23, 2012 12:46 |  #13

cameraperson wrote in post #14473813 (external link)
You can have more than one website.

It's not all about websites. It's about business licenses, tax registrations, et cetera.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

cameraperson
816 posts
Joined May 2010

May 23, 2012 18:11 |  #14

He can have a business name that encompasses many sites. He can direct different clients to different sites, all the same photographer.

Xsi, 18-55

sponsored links

2,144 views & 0 likes for this thread
Business name?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.